You're playing in the Main Event, but here comes trouble (again)...........

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Imagine that your poker dream has come true and you're finally playing in the wsop Main Event. However, your biggest leak is now threatening to derail your progress. What is that leak and how are you going to plug it?

1fe0f1fa016759ca8f9f6d02f6b682b6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on how you get there. If you are a non-professional poker player and you got there with a free package, I think my biggest concern would be the respect of the big buy in.
The only way that I would like to handle that is to play patience is the key game, you don't have to take all players out of the tournament.
Try to play your table learn how the others play and use what you learn at your table. If it's not your time(card dead) don't try to force it.

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it's getting into situations post flop that don't agree with my hand range, or, hit my opponent's range hard yet I get stubborn and don't want to lose pots because of it and instead of folding I raise or get married to the hand and lose more chips than I should of.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

Ripley rips it in on Replay
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest leak would be to stay focused with very long blind levels. To plug it i would try to eat healthy and sleep early. Going from hand to hand, decision to decision and not rush anything.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
My biggest leak is that I tilt like crazy and my brain freezes up for a few minutes when it is at its worst.

Small amounts of benzodiazepines help to a certain extent.

But a more healthy remedy is different meditation techniques and the ability to let go of the past and concentrate on the now.

And also try to let go of the ego and the seriousness of the event.

Compared to a lot of things going on in the world it's just a game and the experience should be fun no matter the outcome.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Imagine that your poker dream has come true and you're finally playing in the WSOP Main Event. However, your biggest leak is now threatening to derail your progress. What is that leak and how are you going to plug it?

I would try not to get on tilt. You must always fight it. Tilt is the most dangerous opponent.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
US
Chips
This is not my poker dream......,..... I'm a mix game cash player who does play NLHE but this is my poker nightmare,

......insanely long levels, multiple starting days, a gazillion players, playing live, slowwwwwwly......,

my patience is shot before I even sit down, it helps to recognize your strengths so there's no way to fix this for me lol

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
It's kind of stupid and we all know about it, yet it's still a huge leak in many players game and in mine too.

If I happen to be doing good and lose a big pot, especially as a result of a suck out, the self-sabotage stage starts. I do try to keep calm and remind myself of everything I've learned to overcome that freaking tilt, but subconsciously, I keep splashing my chips around till the inevitable desperate all in with any marginal hand, only to walk into a monster or worse, lose to some garbage hand someone would've decided to call with having noticed my recklessness.

But in an event like the WSOP, there's something I could take advantage of in order to regain composure. The blind levels are long enough to just walk away from the table for a while, go eat, meditate, watch some TV or anything to shake it off before going back to the table.

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If one day I played in this event I would play without fear no matter the size of the tournament. I hear from my fellow professionals that for you to play everything you know, you don't have to be afraid!
Little by little I'm starting to apply this in tournaments with a higher value than I usually play so that one day if I manage to get to an event as big as this I'll be prepared!(y)(y)

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think my biggest mistake happened when I played a $530.00 buy in at party poker, I was playing reasonably well, until a moment when I started to be pressured by players better than me, and I ended up making a really bad play that put an end to a dream that took a long time to come true.
What I would obviously try to do differently in this particular tournament would be not to repeat this mistake, respect the deck and especially the level of the players there.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, if I was playing a WSOP Main Event, I would be intimidated.
So I think I would play too tight and I would become very predictable for my opponents.
They would read my game too easily and steal all my blinds.
And in that situation, the Poker Gods often choose to punish you : And that's how your monster is cracked ;)

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think my biggest leak in live poker is playing too tight. I need to widen my ranges to raise and 3-bet more. I tend to want to just call and then decide next step after the flop. I need to get over this fear of aggression and play more hands.

Sebbour

Sebbour

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Imagine that your poker dream has come true and you're finally playing in the WSOP Main Event. However, your biggest leak is now threatening to derail your progress. What is that leak and how are you going to plug it?

I think my biggest leak would be playing too tight and using too narrow hand ranges (because of the buy in and the event itself from my point of view). Even some average poker pro would come to that conclusion pretty fast and then he would start to exploit that on me.

Easier said than done but I would need to widen my hand ranges in certain positions and with certain hands (not just that, I'd need to see if someone is bluffing me or not) but given the fact I'm playing my biggest buy in so far it would be very hard to achieve from a psychological point of view.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My mother has dementia & my father is frail. I do not play long tournaments more than 4 hours at this time because chances are greater where I could be distracted with something that they may need.

So imagine that I'm finally playing in the WSOP Main Event, my leak is being distracted. I would have to make sure that they have other help available so as to be able to play without distraction. Looking for help on their condition is not easy.

Last edited:
Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Focus Focus Focus

I am ADHD and am doing just fine when there is a hodgepodge of things swirling around in my head like a mental tropical storm.

I'm sitting there playing poker at the table, watching the KENO game, keeping up with the sports books, making sense out of the design of the carpet, not to mention my favorite hobby people watching.

With all of this colliding inside my head, I'm gonna hit the ditch pretty fast and I will be on the rail.

So what happens is I take a break---relax.
Have a smoke from my favorite pipe. Tone it down a notch.
Get some earbuds with some soft piano music and sit at the table and play" One Table At The Time" poker.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips

here comes trouble (again)...........​

This WSOP is such a pain in the butt...

My biggest leak is probably mental one. I might feel impostor syndrome kicking in, and I might start thinking that I have no chance in h*** to make it even close to the money.

How to plug it? I don't know... What kind of pills do you have Doc?

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I think my biggest leak in the game would be the two extremes in a competition of this caliber......Either excessive caution, or overly aggressive play.....The solution would be maybe 1 half-dec vodka in such an event..... ;)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Maybe my leak would be my tells , that would give my opponents some clues about my hand . Orau e it would be that I would start playing very passively , because the money at stake is a lot , trying to be patient , as a result I would fall victim to bluffs and over aggressive players all the time . I think of that case would happen during the game , then it would be very late already for me , it would be a matter of time before I get busted and lose . Nothing to be done , at least at that game .

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It would not be extraordinary to participate in an event of such magnitude but I think my biggest problem would be realizing what it really means to me and how to approach it. The biggest drain would be not having the patience to try hard sometimes a stack increase doing the opposite, or maybe in a state of not risking anything, missing a lot of the game, or maybe in order not to get bored with the dead periods I would consume some alcohol which will totally change the approach after a while.... In the end, I don't think I can last long because of my current way of being.

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
making sense out of the design of the carpet
:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Some great posts in here, a bit of me in every one of them. I'm too timid, I'm too aggressive, I'm too passive, I'm too impatient, I see too many flops, I don't see enough flops...

If the cards are against you, the cards are against you. It's as simple as that. Ditto, when the cards are falling into your lap, when you're hitting every board, you can play whatever hole cards you want.

Tiredness and playing when I've got a lot on my mind are my two biggest Achilles heels. Obviously this is remedied by sleep and by clearing your mind but if I'm not in a situation to do that, my best advice would be to slow down, go through every street in your mind and think things through at least twice. This is no situation for adreneline-based snap decisions or playing mind games with yourself. And also, this is easier said than done.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
The long days. I think my play would deteriorate over time as i am very inexperienced playing such long days.

As the field progresses and live changing sums become reality this would also affect my play.

Gritz18

Gritz18

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What is that leak and how are you going to plug it?
My biggest leak would definitely be because I'm a more relaxed player (Tight), I don't like to get involved with speculative hands, seeing this the villains with more experience would exploit my game a lot.

But this largely depends on the number of chips I have at the moment, if I have a larger number of chips I tend to play a little more aggressive, mixing up my game and making it difficult to read my opponents.

Toruk Makto

Toruk Makto

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I will certainly have to give it to you with my emotions, since in live it is something that I will have a hard time controlling! So that's my main leak.

millya5

millya5

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
My biggest problem is that I have no control over myself.This is the main problem . I don't have the stamina or patience to play for more than 2 hours . If I lose part of the bank from Betbit . When my nerves are on edge and I go all-in .

I think before such an event tournaments need to take a sedative:ROFLMAO: