What is the ideal poker tournament payout?

millya5

millya5

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I like any prizes . As was said above, it’s hard to get into the top five in replays .

I think I’ve reached the final table and there should be prize money .

I felt this feeling again yesterday when I became a bubble.

In short, the most delicious prize money was at the final table . It depends on what the prize fund is .

You can take 100th place in the tournament and enjoy the Prize money

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am personally 100% for bigger pay jumps and less payouts to a larger field however i see Merits in both, i do think it can be specific to the level you are at and the buy in as well. I like turbo MTTs especially for this, its a mad scramble sometimes at the the end if you are borderline ITM and if you are of a healthy stack, you can find good equity in opening up your range to players who will be shoving late on hands like AJ,A10 or small pairs and suited connectors.
Great question this - @CRStals

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I honestly would prefer payouts of 15% of players getting paid with some less being taken from the top and spread out more. The problem with Poker is 80 to 85% of players will lose long term and if we make it less players to pay out and and more top heavy, the increased variance will let more players go broke fast and once broke they may never come back. I have been unlucky enough to have played 15 hours plus several times to not even cash in some tournament including bubble boy in 10% payout stye events. After a while I started to avoid those style events. Why, to lower variance.

Gritz18

Gritz18

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What is the ideal poker tournament payout to you?
I'm not an ambitious guy, I'd rather share with a few than try to win everything by myself and win nothing.

Since I only play freerolls, with small prizes, it would be interesting if the payout was only for the final table.

For example, the daily tournaments on Cardschat at Replay Poker, I've lost count of how many times I've reached the final table, but the payouts are only for the remaining five, so rewarding the nine at the final table would be interesting, since they are daily tournaments.

dangbaonguyen93

dangbaonguyen93

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
I think around 20% to 30%. That's a great payout range. To get ITM you need to be better than 50% of players and luckier than the other 25%.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If we are talking about freerolls, then a wide ITM will allow more players to have the opportunity to play for their money.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There is a saying that goes, from grain to grain the chicken fills the chat.
I prefer to receive something, so I play for small or medium amounts, if I reach the final table, I will fight for higher amounts

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Hmmm I prefer the structure that pays 20% :) , so more places paid with the consequence of lower minimum cash and smaller pay jumps for me :)

olejean

olejean

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It's really difficult to stand out. Sometimes I want to risk and get all. But sometimes there is a cold calculation and a rational approach.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips

One with a few places paid with a higher minimum cash and substantial pay jumps? Or more places paid with the consequence of lower minimum cash and smaller pay jumps?

a9d5c9373f47e361f9d041cda0f6ec11.jpg

Thanks to @CRStals for this topic idea.
I'm more cash gameS player, BUT if I have to choose - give me a tournament with just a few places paid... :)

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I like it when there are a lot of paid places in tournaments. I avoid tournaments with a small number of prizes because it's very difficult to achieve a positive result in them. For example, our daily freerolls at Replay, where there are only 5 prizes. They are quite difficult, but I like them because they are freerolls :)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Lower minimum cash ?? Yeah , maybe it would not be a bad idea . Play for 3-4 hours and not get anything is bad . Especially on ACR with the long LR periods . But the worst thing is that the more dollars are awarded at the FT . I do not understand why this happens . You play 7,8,9 hours a tourney only to get nothing or peanuts . At the FT it is very hard to finish too 3 where most of the money is rewarded . It's like poker rooms saying that the biggest prizes , the juice , is only for pros and regs , who probably will be able mostly to finish on such places without their knowledge of RNG and strategies and shove-fold .

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

One with a few places paid with a higher minimum cash and substantial pay jumps? Or more places paid with the consequence of lower minimum cash and smaller pay jumps?

a9d5c9373f47e361f9d041cda0f6ec11.jpg

Thanks to @CRStals for this topic idea.
I welcome more placed paid, but if I must choose, then I'd prefer less places paid and have larger pay jumps. I seem to play well at Final Tables and I'm confident in my Final Table ability to fight for a win, or recognize the situation and take the mathmatical folds to move up one pay jump. In either case, the less places paid and larger pay jumps seems more beneficial for me. With larger pay jumps, I can also apply more ICM pressure when I'm playing well.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Swede Tooth
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I prefer Top 12% getting paid.
And I like how most online sites currently have their payouts structured. I guess after running them for many years, they have a good idea of what works best for the poker community.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
We used to pay out the top 3 players every week in our Pub games regardless of how many played, some times we would have 3 tables of 8 players but still only paid out the top 3. The top 8 players received extra Points in the League, but everyone Scored the minimum 10 points just for turning up and playing,
This was to encourage players to come on a regular basis and support the Pub, Which after all was why the Pub allowed us to play, The only time we changed this was for a special Bounty Hunter Game at Christmas, it was played on a different Night and as it was a Special game the Landlord Donated an extra £100 towards the Prize Pool and we paid out to the top 5 Players, besides a £5 Bounty on each players Head so basically you got half your £10 buy-in back if you took out one player.
We maxed out 5 tables of 8 players before the 3 cases of chips ran out. We didn't think we would be so popular but had to close registrations at 40 Entrant's as we had no chips left or Table Toppers. It was a great night and I even got asked if I would start organising games at other Venues, I had to refuse as I was already committed to play at my Local Pub and if I took on more Games I don't think my Wife would be very happy. :)

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
If we take replay poker and our freerolls specifically, the first option is quite appropriate here. This is convenient for administration and various transfers. For other tournaments, 10% of the prizes are a normal distribution.

cracker

cracker

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would say it depends on the buy in.
On $100 or more buy in 10-15% pay out top heavy, you came to win.
On under $100 20-30% pay out a little less top heavy, you come to win but would be happy to get your buy in back.
On freerolls 50% pay out spread out with small increases, You come to learn and enjoy the game and if you only win $.01 hey you won something. It also weeds out the pros looking for easy money when the pay out is minimal.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I prefer more places paid.
The problem with the tourneys where you have only 5 or 10 places paid is that the variance is very high.
And you see a lot of gamblers shoving very early in the game... like in the freerolls.
I don't like that game style.

But on the other hand, it's not very pleasant to play 3 hours to win only $0.50 , so there should be a balance like 10% of the players getting money.
It would be perfect for me :)

C

Cooking

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As I know I'm not an aggressive player, I always prefer more places paid (even if this mean lower prizes for the first places). My ideal is 25-30%, but the usual 20% is good for me.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
More paid places - more chances. I would choose a tour with more paid places, it definitely makes sense :)

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would prefer less paid places with higher payouts other than more places paid with less payouts. The less paid places the more valuable will be get in ITM

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think a 20% payout is not bad. More chances to get at least something.:)

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi :)
I always choose tournaments where there are more paid places. This is one of my priorities, and one can say one of the important criteria used by me when choosing tournaments.

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I would prefer more places paid especially if you make it to the final table. Sucks playing for hours and then bubbling out or ending on the FT to find out only the top 5 of 9 get paid.

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Everything for me, nothing for the rest. I call it Krazy's law!