Chips
I think the Patriots will win the super bowl

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't really care as long as the correct numbers for my SB Squares are spot on !!

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Their share? What is this, Tee Ball?

They give out participation trophies don't they :aetsch:

Can't see the Pats letting the Eagles get a big enough lead to survive a Brady comeback.

gotace503

gotace503

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the odds on this changed big time. i think it be low scoring first have and pats come out celebrating the champ. what happen to all pittsburg fans.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean, the Pats are favourites for a reason and they'd be my pick to win it. Depending on where the line ends up, I could absolutely see myself betting on Philly to cover though...

I hope the Eagles win and game is played fairly unlike yesterday's Jags game.

Yesterday Pats had some extra players on field in black and white that helped win them the game.

As someone who isn't a fan of any of the teams involved (I'm a Saints fan) and lives on the other side of the world (so I don't have any regional affiliations), I feel like I'm pretty unbiased on this issue... and I've gotta say, I just don't understand the complaint.

The fact there was only one penalty called on the Pats vs six on the Jags isn't proof on its own that the referees were favouring the Pats. Watching the game live, I don't remember egregious wrong calls or no-calls. I think some people are arguing the second DPI flag could have been a no-call, I guess I could see that? That's about it though I think.

What are the specific plays and calls where you think the refs favoured the Pats?

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Pats will win unless Philly can run the ball and keep Brady (and his PI refs) off the field.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/...-calls-by-refs-that-cost-the-jaguars-the-game

I mean, the Pats are favourites for a reason and they'd be my pick to win it. Depending on where the line ends up, I could absolutely see myself betting on Philly to cover though...

As someone who isn't a fan of any of the teams involved (I'm a Saints fan) and lives on the other side of the world (so I don't have any regional affiliations), I feel like I'm pretty unbiased on this issue... and I've gotta say, I just don't understand the complaint.

The fact there was only one penalty called on the Pats vs six on the Jags isn't proof on its own that the referees were favouring the Pats. Watching the game live, I don't remember egregious wrong calls or no-calls. I think some people are arguing the second DPI flag could have been a no-call, I guess I could see that? That's about it though I think.

What are the specific plays and calls where you think the refs favoured the Pats?

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Patriots deserve to win because they put America first aka patriots.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

So the DPI I can see going either way - that link is obviously to a pro-Jags site so I see how they're going to be outraged by it, but I wouldn't have faulted that one either way.

The Telvin Smith "hold" sure, that could have been called, but it's also the kind of thing that gets missed by refs all the time in all sorts of games: and the refs were pretty clearly taking a "let 'em play" approach with both teams in this game.

Myles Jack being called down by contact yes, that's a head scratcher and I definitely would have liked to see them let that play out. It was a turnover, it was going to be reviewed anyway. I'm actually kind of surprised he stopped when he heard the whistle.

Think about it though: if the refs were really favouring the Pats wouldn't they have called Lewis down by contact instead so the Pats didn't lose the ball at all? :p

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Myles Jack being called down by contact yes, that's a head scratcher and I definitely would have liked to see them let that play out. It was a turnover, it was going to be reviewed anyway. I'm actually kind of surprised he stopped when he heard the whistle.

It was the correct call by the letter of the law. Clearly Lewis lost control of the ball before he was down by contact but both players were down and in contact with each other when the ball changed hands. All it takes is for their shirts to touch.

This is one of the rules that needs to be changed. "Down by Contact" should mean down by "intentional" NOT "incidental" contact.

Think about it though: if the refs were really favouring the Pats wouldn't they have called Lewis down by contact instead so the Pats didn't lose the ball at all? :p

Seriously. We all know Roger Goodell hates the Pats. The NFL hasn't done them any favors in recent years. The Pats get fewer penalties because they're the best coached and most disciplined team in the league. That said, a Jags Eagles Superbowl with two back-up QB's would have been a ratings nightmare.

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im rooting for the Patriots but that Eagles D is tough. Then again so was Jacksonville's. Should be a good game is Foles shows up

cubons

cubons

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know that this is a huge thing in USA, but I haven`t watched any :( This will be my first Superbowl ;) I don`t have any predictions, but I hope to see a great game.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was the correct call by the letter of the law. Clearly Lewis lost control of the ball before he was down by contact but both players were down and in contact with each other when the ball changed hands. All it takes is for their shirts to touch.

Agreed they were obv in contact when Lewis lost the ball - I thought it was more a question of when they determined Jack had recovered the ball. Did he have control of the ball as soon as it left Lewis's hands (in which case yes, obviously down by contact), or did he only really recover it after he rolled away... in which case I dunno, probably not down? Some angles make it look like Lewis's foot might have made incidental contact with him at that stage, others make it seem like he must be too far away for that to have happened.

Either way, my point is I would've been OK with them letting the whole thing play out without blowing it dead. Let him run it back - it's a turnover, it's going to be reviewed, if it turns out he was down by contact then they should catch that on the replay.

Rocky87345

Rocky87345

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really hope the Eagles win. Somebody needs to knock Brady off his high horse.

TudorPithon

TudorPithon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think the Patriots will win the super bowl

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patriots

Being a Canadian i could care less about Brady or the eagles,Goodall/Kraft,,,,it`s all noise.I don`t see a huge conspiracy against Patriots opponents.(The NFL isnt above `helping`a team win,we all know that) Alot of people hated on Ali,Ruth,Gretzky,Jordan,etc.There`s always a certain percentage of people who just hate a certain level of success,for whatever reasons. I think Tom Brady is just a great quarterback(stats and rings don`t lie),,,so just try to enjoy the show.:reddy: (The `Best Story` always wins);)

J

jignesh_cse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patriots will win the super bowl........

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agreed they were obv in contact when Lewis lost the ball - I thought it was more a question of when they determined Jack had recovered the ball. Did he have control of the ball as soon as it left Lewis's hands (in which case yes, obviously down by contact), or did he only really recover it after he rolled away... in which case I dunno, probably not down? Some angles make it look like Lewis's foot might have made incidental contact with him at that stage, others make it seem like he must be too far away for that to have happened.

Either way, my point is I would've been OK with them letting the whole thing play out without blowing it dead. Let him run it back - it's a turnover, it's going to be reviewed, if it turns out he was down by contact then they should catch that on the replay.

I've gone back and reviewed this play and in retrospect, I may have allowed my allegiance to new England to color my objectivity. I hate to say it, but it does seem like Jack recovered the ball cleanly and without contact and the refs blew the whistle prematurely. To make matters worse the play wasn't blown dead until Jack is 5 yards down the field with no New England player in sight. So, yeah, the Pats caught a break there.

But... Go Pats!!!

Oz, do you get NFL games in Australia?

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oz, do you get NFL games in Australia?

As in, do we get them on TV? Yes we do. I gather it's not actually that different to the US: we get three games live every week on free to air TV (one early Sunday game, one afternoon Sunday game, and SNF) during the regular season, every playoff game (including the Superbowl) and misc other games (the season opener, the Thanksgiving games, maybe a few of the late-season Saturday games). Obviously we don't have a "local" team though, so they rotate the teams / games we see.

Problem for us is the time zone - I get up at somewhere between 3:00am and 5:00am (depending on whether daylight savings time has ended/started) on Monday morning for the early games. SNF always happens when I'm at work, and I take an annual leave day every year so I can watch the Superbowl (it's about a 10:00am start on a Monday our time).

bryan24

bryan24

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do believe the Eagles offense can put up points on the Patriots defense. Will it be enough to beat Sir Tom ? I will be betting on and cheering for the Eagles!

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patriots there is no doubt

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually something is screaming that this is a trap game for the Patriots, and the Eagles are due. They can't keep losing superbowls, I think the Eagles will upset somehow.