mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I dont understand how can Vegas get so much fans in just they first season)

The Knights are the first "major league" sports franchise in Las Vegas, ever. For most of the last 150 years in the US (a time that saw the birth of the major professional sports leagues) there have been strict rules about gambling. Pete Rose, one of the best baseball players of all time was banned for life from the game because he gambled on baseball. There have been no sports teams for people in Las Vegas to cheer for, ever. There are only minor league teams and the University of Las Vegas teams (really only Basketball). Now they have an NHL hockey team. They have millions of visitors each year, many from canada and other hockey loving locations. If a foreign visitor in Las Vegas wants to see some high level North American professional sports, it's hockey or travel to LA, Phoenix, etc.

Oh. and in addition to having the first year curiosity attraction, they won - big time. As far as I know, no other expansion major league franchise has ever played for the final in its sport in the first year. The NFL Jacksonville Jaguars played (and lost) a Superbowl in their fourth year (I think) and that was considered an amazing feat. In baseball, the Florida Marlins won a World Series in their fifth year.

In short, Vegas has lots of money, lots of visitors (with money), and no high level competition for the Knights. Let's see how they do if they stop winning. Also the other major sports are eyeing Vegas for expansion. I'd like to see the attendance of a mediocre NHL franchise in Vegas on the same day as an NFL, MLB, or NBA game.

A

Anar Veliyev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Knights are the first "major league" sports franchise in Las Vegas, ever. For most of the last 150 years in the US (a time that saw the birth of the major professional sports leagues) there have been strict rules about gambling. Pete Rose, one of the best baseball players of all time was banned for life from the game because he gambled on baseball. There have been no sports teams for people in Las Vegas to cheer for, ever. There are only minor league teams and the University of Las Vegas teams (really only Basketball). Now they have an NHL hockey team. They have millions of visitors each year, many from Canada and other hockey loving locations. If a foreign visitor in Las Vegas wants to see some high level North American professional sports, it's hockey or travel to LA, Phoenix, etc.

Oh. and in addition to having the first year curiosity attraction, they won - big time. As far as I know, no other expansion major league franchise has ever played for the final in its sport in the first year. The NFL Jacksonville Jaguars played (and lost) a Superbowl in their fourth year (I think) and that was considered an amazing feat. In baseball, the Florida Marlins won a World Series in their fifth year.

In short, Vegas has lots of money, lots of visitors (with money), and no high level competition for the Knights. Let's see how they do if they stop winning. Also the other major sports are eyeing Vegas for expansion. I'd like to see the attendance of a mediocre NHL franchise in Vegas on the same day as an NFL, MLB, or NBA game.
Maximum comprehensive quote )
Thanks

B

Breesus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of people have strong ties to Vegas, and considering it is the first in any major league sport EVER in the state of Nevada(Boxing not counting as a 'team' or league sport), let alone Vegas..Thats pretty epic! Plus, people come to Vegas for shows and excitement. Whats more out of the box in the dessert than Ice Hockey on a hot Vegas day?
mtl mile end is spot on in his assessment..Arent the Raiders set to move to Vegas in the next year or two? Wait til you get a load of the new flock of Raider fans...bet it will be massive!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can tell you that my friends who live in Vegas are VERY passionate about this team - many of them bought season tickets. And on my flight to Vegas Sunday night there were loads of people watching the game - they exploded when they won.

They finally have a major league team to support and they are coming out strong.

Hope they win!

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5pm tonight PST. Tied at 2. What a match up. This is why I love hockey. Honestly I do not care who wins. It would be awesome for Vegas to come on the scene first season like this and win it all. It would be awesome for a long standing franchise like The Capitals to finally get theirs. These games have been awesome. This is hockey at it's best.

M

mj23b

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nhl

ya im a sanjose fan so dont care to much on the outcome anymore

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today is the third final game. Don't miss!

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a St. Louis Blues fan but they did not make the playoffs this year. I'm rooting for the Vegas Golden Knights. Would be awesome to see a 1st year team win the cup. Blues had the opportunity their 1st year but didn't make it. Still have yet to win "The Cup" in 50 years!

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Washington won the third match and led the series. Great match.

Honeybuns666

Honeybuns666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe Vegas has such a strong following because they are new and hot. It would be awesome for an expansion team win a ship in any sport. I'm rooting for the knights but I believe the caps win In 6.

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Washington defeated his rival. Kuznetsov was not stop. The score in the series 3:1. One step to Cup.

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am very glad for Washington. Kuznetsov good fellow, as well as all. I hope Capitals at once will win in Vegas.

bighert2

bighert2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its been over 60 years since a team came back from being down 3-1 in Final, so not looking good for Vegas. But Vegas has already pulled off a lot of firsts, so if any team could pull off the come back back it's them. Caps were my pick when someone posted the poll for 8 remaining teams here on forums; only picked them cause I thought it would nice for Ovechkin to shed the "best to never win title" moniker.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Vegas really looks tired right now. There is nothing saying they can't come back, though! The playoffs are always full of surprises.

Still pulling for Washington - time will tell what the outcome will be!

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I knew the run was ending noway ovi wouldnt beat an expansion team in the final after all hisyears in the league ,vegas might get game 5 but not 6

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Vegas really looks tired right now. There is nothing saying they can't come back, though! The playoffs are always full of surprises.

Still pulling for Washington - time will tell what the outcome will be!
At this point I was obviously wrong with my Vegas in game six prediction. In fact it looks like I am going to be wrong with predicting Vegas to win it at all. The Caps have found out whatever weakness Vegas has and the Caps are completely shutting the Knights down. The Knights look like an expansion team with the way they are playing now, and the Capitals look like the seasoned veterans they are. The Caps are definitely poised to win their first cup now.

:evil:Zer0:evil:

jerlasvegas

jerlasvegas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a Vegas Golden Knights fan. Tonight is game 5 of the playoffs and I am hoping the Golden Knights can win it and extend the series. It has been a depressing series and Washington has played hard. I hope thing can turn around.

Either way it has been an amazing season.:)

D

DADDY O

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Capitals are the best and experienced team they deserve it so good luck and get it done

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Its been over 60 years since a team came back from being down 3-1 in Final, so not looking good for Vegas. But Vegas has already pulled off a lot of firsts, so if any team could pull off the come back back it's them. Caps were my pick when someone posted the poll for 8 remaining teams here on forums; only picked them cause I thought it would nice for Ovechkin to shed the "best to never win title" moniker.
Yes, but how many times has a team come back from a 3-1 deficit in the NHL Playoffs overall? The answer is 28 times, five of those times against the Washington Capitals! They have done it themselves twice. I think the real issue here is not History, but Marc Andre Fleury. If he can regain his confidence/magic/"game" in Game 5, they have hope. If he cannot, and they lose Game 5, obviously it's all over, but even if they pull out a win, without Fleury being crazy good, they will lose Game 6. Unless, of course Holtby falls apart, in which case anything can happen.

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today, the Cup's fate can be decided. I am very interested whether Negreanu, a poker genius, will be present at the match.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Finally, Ovechkin won the Stanley Cup, Kuznetsov made a significant contribution to Washington's victory, and in my opinion is more worthy of the prize of the most valuable player in the matches for the flight. Washington with a victory

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Washington" winner of the Stanley Cup-2018. This is the first Cup of team serving in the NHL since 1974.

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did not read such opinion anywhere, nobody about it spoke. but Vegas dream team for any manager. to gather team from scratch, it seems to me easier, in modern hockey. to take the strong goalkeeper who already won, to collect 4 almost equal links. to other clubs it is much heavier with selection.
therefore is more honest for hockey when the team which was very noticeable the last years wins. it is Washington. with deserved victory!!!

hutzpaf

hutzpaf

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As it has been said millions of times :) , Ovetshkin didn't put everything in the game a year ago.

By the summer, however, Ovetshkin began to change direction.

In the fall, the Capitals training camp clearly showed his weight has fallen.

Washington's Alexander Ovetshkin, who has been criticized for years to come, has finally become a leader who was able to take his troops to the Stanley Cup championship.
Ovetshkin's ultimate commitment to every little thing was creating the foundation for victory!