Ongoing Soccer Thread

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Terrible ref.
Never ever even close to beeing a red card.
Chelsea could have gotten 3-4 pens(3 of them would have been harsh but the Pique one was a no brainer imo).
Alex got a yellow when Terry made the foul.
Barcelona should have gotten a pen for handball in the first half.

But as a neutral im happy with the results, Man-Che vs Man-Bar i would pick Man-Bar as the better game to watch any day.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
312e1sl.gif

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't have a problem with this ref being in charge. He's officiated at the highest level and before the game i actually thought his style of letting the game flow would suit Chelski more than Barca. But i didn't figure on him not giving anything. He got just about every major decision wrong. Abidal accidentally made the slightest contact on Anelka causing him to clip his own heels. I don't think you can give red for that especially as cover was just about there. But he ought to have given at least two of the penalties.
The reaction of Ballack to the last handball shout was ridiculous and he should get a long ban for that, the ref should've sent him off there and then. Especially as that was the weakest of their claims.

But the bottom ine is that although Barca had more possession they did very little with it. Chelsea should've killed the game off earlier so that they didn't have to endure the frantic nervy last couple of minutes. Drogba's miss was awful. The competition will have a very attractive final now and Chelsea will rue not taking one of the clearcut opportunities they created. I suspect that at least two of their players will face lengthy bans for their behaviour at the end too.

hojediade

hojediade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that there is no reason for CFC fans to say that's the referee errors that give the victory to Barca. There was no will to stop the action with Piqué's hand, as this was the ball going to the hand and not the opposite.
In my view, the one that comitt the most important mistake is Gus Hiddincks (don't know if i spell it well!!) when he refuses to play the game, and only wanted to protect the result with a defensive team. :confused: Maybe next year Chelsea will play an offensive game so that they won't cry at the end of the game.
By the way, Essien's goal was amazing, but as lucky as when you draw you're only out at the river to win the pot. There was more luck in this goal than skills. :D
Anyway, i think that we should start a new thread for us to predict what is gonna happen for the final in Rome. :)

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that there is no reason for CFC fans to say that's the referee errors that give the victory to Barca. There was no will to stop the action with Piqué's hand, as this was the ball going to the hand and not the opposite.
In my view, the one that comitt the most important mistake is Gus Hiddincks (don't know if i spell it well!!) when he refuses to play the game, and only wanted to protect the result with a defensive team. :confused: Maybe next year Chelsea will play an offensive game so that they won't cry at the end of the game.
By the way, Essien's goal was amazing, but as lucky as when you draw you're only out at the river to win the pot. There was more luck in this goal than skills. :D
Anyway, i think that we should start a new thread for us to predict what is gonna happen for the final in Rome. :)

Pique's handball was as blatant as they come. To suggest otherwise is just daft. But you're right. Refereeing decisions didn't cost them the game. Drogba's misses both at the Nou Camp and Stamford Bridge cost them.

And Essien's goal lucky??? In so much as every goal scored is 'lucky' then yes.... but what's really lucky is hitting your first shot on target in the game after 93 minutes and it goes in... :rolleyes:

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

i dislike chelsea as much as the next guy but this is a horrible post.

hojediade

hojediade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry if i hurt some sensibilities through my "horrible" post.

:party:

Nobody would convince me that Hiddinks made the right choice with defending the score while FCB was only 10 players remaining.
Tactically, Barcelona scored at the right moment, and even the CFC goal was good for FCB, cause they already knew that they need to score before it. So that goal didn't change anything for Barça. I also think that if Barça has scored a bit too early in the game, CFC would have been more dangerous, why Iniesta choose to score in the additional time.:p
I still have an horrible question to ask. :D
Could someone explain me why english clubs are so good in european competition while the national team is so bad? My belief if that it all come from the money involved in it, nor the
Premier League wouldn't be so good. Who's agree? :rolleyes:

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Could someone explain me why english clubs are so good in european competition while the national team is so bad? My belief if that it all come from the money involved in it, nor the

It has been a commonly agreed idea for several years that a lot of players play better for their teams simply because they are the ones that pay them.

The national side is no longer as important as it should be for them :(

Hopefully it seems as though the mind set it changing in the Capello era :)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Joe will be in a terrible mood after West Ham beats Liverpool today. :(

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
millwall vs leeds in the L1 playoffs right now - is there any way they can both lose?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh what a surprise there's been crowd trouble there.

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I still have an horrible question to ask. :D

Ignoring the earlier part of your post as you're obviously just baiting Chelski fans.:rolleyes:

As to your 'horrible' question. The top three at the moment have a lot of money. But so do the top sides in Spain, germany, Italy etc. I mean, aren't Real Madrid talking about buying Ronaldo or Kaka this summer? Not exactly strapped for cash are they. Yet they were humiliated by Liverpool recently. Barca can always find the cash to buy top players too. It's not just about money. Tottenham have spent over £100 million in the last year or so but aren't even close to the top.
Also in the eighties when English football was even more dominant over it's european counterparts it wasn't about the money. I think that the English game is played at a much faster pace than all other european leagues and when that is merged with highly skilled individuals it's close to unstoppable.

The national team underperforms (much the way Spain has for decades until last summer) because the players don't have a chance to spend enough time with each other and that's a large part of what makes our game tick. Plus too many overpaid over rated foreigners in the league limit young players development.

So no i would disagree with your point. And i wouldn't call it 'horrible', i'd just call it mischievous.;)

hojediade

hojediade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The national team underperforms (much the way Spain has for decades until last summer) because the players don't have a chance to spend enough time with each other and that's a large part of what makes our game tick. Plus too many overpaid over rated foreigners in the league limit young players development.

Ok i agree with your view on that one but, we, in France cause i'm not spanish, lol, have the same troubles with players that aren't used to play altogether, as 2/3 of our national team plays in foreign leagues, like the Premier League. :D
Hopefully, we had some strong players in the past decade that didn't need to play altogether often to win. :rolleyes:
So, if you want to have a strong national team, you'd better stop picking foreign players. This will probably start the end of english club domination, and everybody would be happy of it.
;)

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good club teams, not so very good national team. At least that's the way it has been in recent ( and not so recent ) years. If you look at the top four English club teams you would probably just about get eleven top class English players from the four squads if you looked hard enough. I think that is the biggest factor in the lack of success at international level in recent years. It is definitely not the only reason though.

The FA ( Football Association ) have a lot to do with why England are not a force to be reckoned with in world football. Whenever they did get the right man for the job, they ( the FA ) always seemed to find a way of messing it up. 1990 and 1996 ( Robson and Venables ) were the most successful periods in the last 30 years, if indeed you can call it success.
The FA managed to somehow lose or dispense with their services though.
I believe the day they appointed Ron Greenwood all those years ago was a good indication as to what kind of people were running the FA at the time, and a lot of those old farts outstayed their welcome by many years.

They appeared to be on the right track again with Robson, after a disastrous time with Turnip head Turner, and looked to have finally got it right with the introduction of Terry Venables but wouldn't pander to his other business interests. Then of course they reverted back to the clueless years by making eye opening appointments of Keegan, Sven, and Maclaren < ( I don't even know if I have spelt his name correctly he was so bad and worthless and non memorable )
But of course when you are still paying Sven ridiculous amounts of money long after he is gone, you can only spend so much with his replacement. They seem to have a good man at the helm now with Capello and time will tell on that. They are certainly paying him enough.

The success in Europe for English club sides in the last 10 years is more down to the introduction of the "Premier League" and the way that whole product has been packaged and run. It's where all of the money is at tbh and has left Italy and Spain in it's wake with regards to TV and sponsorship money. And of course the EPL and the FA are different entities, with one getting it right in recent years, and the other lagging behind.

With so many non English players in the game these days, many argue it's the reason the national team has struggled, but tbh, I don't recall big international success in the 1970's or 1980's when foreign players were few and far between in English football. Big talent from all over the world coming to England has helped the technical abilities of English players and things like diet etc but at the same time it has stunted the progression of a lot of youthful English talent. It's hard to say which one outweighs the other really but an excellent manager/coach will always go a long way to determining the success of any team.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok i agree with your view on that one but, we, in France cause i'm not spanish, lol, have the same troubles with players that aren't used to play altogether, as 2/3 of our national team plays in foreign leagues, like the Premier League. :D
Hopefully, we had some strong players in the past decade that didn't need to play altogether often to win. :rolleyes:
So, if you want to have a strong national team, you'd better stop picking foreign players. This will probably start the end of english club domination, and everybody would be happy of it.
;)

But isnt Arsenal the French team by another name? :D

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man Utd just took a masive step towards the title with the win over City :(.
Now its all on Arsenal and Hull(im not counting Wigan cause they have nothing to play for and there manager is a former Utd player and good friends with Sir Alex)

S

Shylax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now its all on Arsenal and Hull(im not counting Wigan cause they have nothing to play for and there manager is a former Utd player and good friends with Sir Alex)

You have a better hope with Hull in my honest opinion. They'll be fighting to avoid relegation where as Arsenal have mailed it in this season. No trophies and 4th place is set. Thet'll put up as much of a fight as they did today. :(

I love the Prof but we need some changes at the Emirates....

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a better hope with Hull in my honest opinion. They'll be fighting to avoid relegation where as Arsenal have mailed it in this season. No trophies and 4th place is set. Thet'll put up as much of a fight as they did today. :(

I love the Prof but we need some changes at the Emirates....
Remeber Man-Arsenal game last week?
Arsenal have revenge to play for imo....