Ongoing Soccer Thread

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a difficult question to answer,but besides the insuperable subjectivity of the query itself (meaning that everyone will have there own opinion, thank you very much), several factors matter: first, pure ability(easy); second, length of career;three,and this is usually for tiebreakers,permanence of contribution to sport.Considering these factors, my choice would be Pele, the King of kings...the name synonymous with the joga bonita, with dauntless ability, with ingenious sleights of foot and with the greatest goal-scoring record in history: 1,281 goals in 1,363 games.Pele played with an adolescent's infatuation his entire career,uncynical, inventive, incessantly accomplishing the impossible, the never-before-attempted.For this especially, he is the best football player of all time in my opinion. :cheers:

Messi GOAT

tumblr_le3z01eAUi1qdodh0.gif

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who is the best football player of all time?
I found Ranker website and they have the top players voted by fans.
Zidane is listed as #1 and i was wondering if he would be on the top of your list.
I think i would have Messi at the top of mine.

Yeah, I'm from the Pele era. He did things back then that nobody - ever - thought of doing. His effort from halfway in WC 1970 was incredible at the time - every one trying it since is copying his genius. He could do everything - pass, shoot, dribble, head.

Messi is phenomenal, and this is in many ways a much tougher era with teams being more organized etc. but back then players didn't get the protection they do today - defenders could kick lumps out of you and get away with it - and Pele still shone. He also helped brazil to win 3 (THREE) world cups in 12 years....if Messi can do that with argentina it may be a different story.

Maradona was an incredible player, but not as all-rounded as Pele, but he did help Argentina to win the 1986 world cup.

Messi is a phenomenal player in a team of stars. Pele and Maradona dragged teams to success almost single-handedly sometimes.

Messi still has a bit to do to catch Maradona IMO, and a way to go after that to get close to Pele.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if Messi can do that with Argentina it may be a different story.

Nope

Pele and Maradona dragged teams to success almost single-handedly sometimes.

Nah

This is 2012, nobody can win a World Cup on their own any more. Nobody does anything on their own any more

Last edited:
Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Liverpool may not have won yesterday, but they played very well which is encouraging. Still need to get that first win, but the football was good. WIP.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tackle

WTF Halsey??????????????????? Who went in two-footed????

And even more WTF - where was the foul for the penalty??????????

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOLPOOL

And lol at choosing that particular shot for God's sake

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There was an incident in the second half where RvP (I think) went in strong on a Liverpool player which instantly incited cries of 'What the ****?! That was the same as the red card!' from the group of Pool fans in the pub I was watching the game in. To which I simply responded 'They just aren't the same'

Cue a barrage of 'SHUT THE **** UP!' from the Liverpool contingent

reelin.gif

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
birmingham lost 5-0 at home to barnsley yesterday let me have my fun

Worst defending ever!

John Terry has announced his retirement from International football, he says he wants to spend more time with the other players families. :D

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Worst defending ever!

worst everything ever

in 20 years of being a blues fan i dont think i've ever seen a performance so inept (and with 3 years of those being mcleish that really means something). it was actually 0-0 at half time and we could have been 3-0 down by then.

the only thing that really compares in terms of awfulness that i can think of atm was the last 30 minutes against swindon a looong time ago when we were winning 4-1 and proceeded to lose 6-4.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
worst everything ever

in 20 years of being a blues fan i dont think i've ever seen a performance so inept (and with 3 years of those being mcleish that really means something). it was actually 0-0 at half time and we could have been 3-0 down by then.

the only thing that really compares in terms of awfulness that i can think of atm was the last 30 minutes against swindon a looong time ago when we were winning 4-1 and proceeded to lose 6-4.

I saw the 2nd half on Sky, and from the first goal (abysmal corner bouncing past 2/3 defenders and keeper) your defence looked totally confused everytime a Barnsley player changed direction.

Hope they sort it out - but as i watch more the standard across the board seems a lot lower this year :(

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Short glimpse at the German league table after 5 games.

I like what I see there:

Attachments

• tabelle.jpg
    tabelle.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 83
SilentJay

SilentJay

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Impressive (defensive) start from new boys Düsseldorf. I hope they stay up. But that'll be awfully difficult with <1 goal per game...

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Impressive (defensive) start from new boys Düsseldorf. I hope they stay up. But that'll be awfully difficult with <1 goal per game...

Yeah they're defending pretty well and now have even scored twice in todays game.

Equally if not more impressing is Frankfurt though drawing 3:3 vs. Dortmund today after trailing 0:2 and 2:3.

Bayern have made their best start ever winning 5/5 with 17:2 (!) goals, too.

3.4 goals a game just wow.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great win yesterday. Played well in several games so far without any luck. Happy with where we are considering new manager, new game plan, several youngsters coming in - 32 games to go.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
c'mon scotland 3 points against the welsh tonight

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting CL this week, Man City, Real Madrid, Chelsea, AC Milan, Arsenal all lose, Barcelona scrape a win and Juventus only draw :eek:

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, good to see isn't it? Big money doesn't guarantee a win every week....

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Crappy decision denied us the last minute win, but 2-2 is OK. I have great hopes that some of these young players will be around for a long time. This season is all about growing. Wisdom, Suso, Sahin, Sterling.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, good to see isn't it? Big money doesn't guarantee a win every week....

If you added up the debts of all those teams you'd probably get a sum well over a billion €. :stupido2:

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh god such horrible refereeing today

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, the time has been and gone for using technology. The same weekend, I don't know if you saw the Dallas-New York NFL game? Last minute, Dallas gets a touchdown to take the lead. Automatically reviewed. The receiver's finger - HIS FINGER - landed out of bounds when he hit the ground. No touchdown. New York hangs on to win. Correct decision made - original wrong decision overturned.

Why is football still using the same technology they were using 100 years ago, when that was the best available AT THE TIME?

3 Premiership games all decided by wrong decisions. One that could decide the title.