Children and sports

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a former youth wrestling coach, look for a program that stresses fun more than it does competition. At 4 the kids should want to get into the wrestling room to have fun rolling around and coaches that make it fun are few and far between. I loved coaching the Pre-K thru 1st graders, they are just sponges at that age.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Plenty of great suggestions here. As a parent of young children myself, to me, the one mandatory activity any child should take is swimming. It not only teaches that person a life long "respect for the water", but when she/he gets older, they'll be going to swimming pools, lakes, etc. with family and/or friends. To be able to competently swim and to understand the proper dos and don'ts, it ensures not just that she/he will have a good time, but that they will exercise proper judgement and be safe.

As for other sports, I know that this is not local to OP's area, but in my local area, there is something called Dash Sports, where it is a multi-sport activity in a non-competitive environment where children can play a whole variety of sports without all the pressures that come with being in organized leagues. All of that stuff will come in time of course, so there's no rush to get them into that kind of environment. Plus, your child will probably have one or two sports that she/he will like more than others, and that will be drawn out without any pressure on them.

Here is the link to take a look at to give you a flavor of what I am talking about.

http://www.dashsports.ca/

I'm sure there's something like that in your local area. Hopefully this is helpful.

S

sabina2901

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello my proposal is that ur son need to learn and start play handball it is very interesting game... Always something happening... Teams score lots of goals... For example football is boring there teams playing 90minutes and u don t see any goals...

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At his age, organized sports is more a good socialization opportunity. At his age for soccer, it's usually just getting them familiar with the rules and kicking the ball. I think if he wants to do it, and is having fun, go for it!

yes i am pretty sure you are right no teams just getting acquainted with dos and donts... he's registered and we start March 9th!

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How about teaching him the best sport...... POKER :)

agreed... i learned cards very young... we always start w memory or concentration then rummy and draw poker and so on.. i play nearly every card game there is. he has definitely watched me play tons of poker!

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello... I think he need to learn and play fotball reason is in these days football are most important... ;)

i love BAYERN... my son is german directly related to Maximillian and swan lake is about his family

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd actually be very surprised if their wasn't youth wrestling offered near you. They start here as young as 4 and there are multiple locations / teams where kids that young can wrestle.

i can teach him wrestling basics... i have done greco style/ grappling since i was a kid.. as for programs GA sucks especially where i live LOL

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a former youth wrestling coach, look for a program that stresses fun more than it does competition. At 4 the kids should want to get into the wrestling room to have fun rolling around and coaches that make it fun are few and far between. I loved coaching the Pre-K thru 1st graders, they are just sponges at that age.

i agree it should definitely be about fun... at any age

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Plenty of great suggestions here. As a parent of young children myself, to me, the one mandatory activity any child should take is swimming. It not only teaches that person a life long "respect for the water", but when she/he gets older, they'll be going to swimming pools, lakes, etc. with family and/or friends. To be able to competently swim and to understand the proper dos and don'ts, it ensures not just that she/he will have a good time, but that they will exercise proper judgement and be safe.

As for other sports, I know that this is not local to OP's area, but in my local area, there is something called Dash Sports, where it is a multi-sport activity in a non-competitive environment where children can play a whole variety of sports without all the pressures that come with being in organized leagues. All of that stuff will come in time of course, so there's no rush to get them into that kind of environment. Plus, your child will probably have one or two sports that she/he will like more than others, and that will be drawn out without any pressure on them.

Here is the link to take a look at to give you a flavor of what I am talking about.

http://www.dashsports.ca/

I'm sure there's something like that in your local area. Hopefully this is helpful.

we do have something similar that i just recently found out about called zog sports, but it is more an adult thing... i need to get back into sports myself hopefully this will help

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello my proposal is that ur son need to learn and start play handball it is very interesting game... Always something happening... Teams score lots of goals... For example football is boring there teams playing 90minutes and u don t see any goals...

when i lived in NYC we played handball all the time... here in GA i don't know if they even know what that is LOL

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Getting them started early is great hopefully its something he or she picks to play:D

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i agree much like everything else at this age it is absorbed like a sponge... 2 weeks til soccer starts!

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
we do have something similar that i just recently found out about called zog sports, but it is more an adult thing... i need to get back into sports myself hopefully this will help

Sounds like it's a sports league but emphasizing the social benefits of participation without the competitiveness of some leagues. Hope you get on that. I am sure you will enjoy it.

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'll definitely keep y'all posted

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So just an update... First week disaster he was that kid running everywhere. He told me soccer was too hard and he didn't want to play. I explained he will finish what he started and then not play anymore. Week 2 I bribed him and he did wonderful! Today will be week 3 no idea what is in store lol

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hopefully he will appreciate it more the more he plays

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
here are 2 pics of my boy and soccer

Attachments

• 11149237_10155273725615538_5510712290821661159_n.jpg
    11149237_10155273725615538_5510712290821661159_n.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 10253862_10155247923910538_5921666875438040432_n.jpg
    10253862_10155247923910538_5921666875438040432_n.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 25
Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice!! Boy do I remember those days with my 2!! Enjoy and have fun!!

Flayst

Flayst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At this age, if they aren't all running around in total chaos, they aren't normal children. The point is definitely to let them have fun, BUT practices should be focusing on fundamentals by hiding them in fun mini-games. Fundamentals at this age are: not kicking with the toes, passing the ball, trying (mostly unsuccessfully) not to all bunch up around the ball. That's about all you can hope to cover in the first season. One thing I always found was a big hit - just punt the ball as far as you can and have them run after it and dribble it back for a shot on goal. The kids get a hoot from how high an adult can kick, and then they get to score!

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes they have them doing some pretty complex stuff... my son just has to do his own thing... he wants to quit... i told him he needs to finish the season and then we will move on to something else

V

vincent1978

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Football is a sport for gentlemen played by barbarians. Rugby a sport for barbarians played by gentlemen.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars