Children and sports

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I have a very soon to be 4 year old and I want to get him started in some sports... I was a jockette back in the day ... you name it I played it. I am going to try to start him with soccer and then tee ball... any tips for 1st time sports mom? My biggest fear is he will not listen although he tends to get bashful (although he is not).

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
He interested in anything in particular yet? It's about having fun, never been sure how much organized sports enhanced that at that age. Good luck.

G

goodhandluke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start with good fundamentals and watch out for coaches who take thibgs too seriously

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
aaah I know all about that as my dad is a tae kwon do grandmaster and I am a master and he did not support my soccer. I also had a teammate that had 1 of "those" dads... always pressuring and so serious and she was phenomenal, but so unhappy. That's why with my son it is about what he enjoys doing, even if he doesn't like sports. I can accept it. I don't know any of the coaches or other parents in the area so it is very scary to me. LOL

M

mascarpa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I found that just buying basic sports equipment and letting them tinker around with them will help. It's how i discovered what my kids liked.

B

BOSTON WALLY

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
get him into golf less chance of injury

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you considered volunteering to assist the coach with the team.
When my kids started in sports (T-ball/baseball and soccer) I was either a coach or assistant coach and it was a somewhat frustrating but very rewarding experience. It is something that your child will fondly remember in later years mostly for the fact that you cared for them enough to make that sacrifice so there experience would be better.
It ain't easy btw coaching a bunch of little kids so be prepared if you decide to do it.

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
football (soccer) is the most popular sport in the world (except in USA), and it would be awesome for you to get him into it early

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a now 5 year old who started playing T-ball last year and also going to a MMA class twice a week (it's the very basics of punching / kicking / balance / defense). He really loves both. We signed him up for his 2nd year of LL last week and he's still doing the MMA class (I ask him every month if he wants to keep going and so far he's always said yes). He's also done a few rounds of swimming lessons which he loved and for him to know how to swim is very important imo.

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to agree with WV on the swimming lessons.
Learning to swim early and properly could save a child's life.
I learned the hard way when my sister talked me into jumping into a lake off the dock with 20 foot deep water for a Canadian quarter. Someone jumped in and saved me and she never even paid up. :(. To this day I am a poor swimmer.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Rugby and wrestling if his school has them.

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I found that just buying basic sports equipment and letting them tinker around with them will help. It's how i discovered what my kids liked.

i did this... when he was very young he liked the soccer ball... he barely played with the tee ball... he likes basketball, but he is not old enough yet (plus i don't think he will be that big).

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you considered volunteering to assist the coach with the team.
When my kids started in sports (T-ball/baseball and soccer) I was either a coach or assistant coach and it was a somewhat frustrating but very rewarding experience. It is something that your child will fondly remember in later years mostly for the fact that you cared for them enough to make that sacrifice so there experience would be better.
It ain't easy btw coaching a bunch of little kids so be prepared if you decide to do it.

yes in this soccer league the parents are very active on the field and i would definitely volunteer for whatever i can

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
football (soccer) is the most popular sport in the world (except in USA), and it would be awesome for you to get him into it early

yes i know.. i always wanted to play when i was young, but i was a martial artist. finally was able to play footie in high school and i was great at it! but once i hit 21 i didn't play as much

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a now 5 year old who started playing T-ball last year and also going to a MMA class twice a week (it's the very basics of punching / kicking / balance / defense). He really loves both. We signed him up for his 2nd year of LL last week and he's still doing the MMA class (I ask him every month if he wants to keep going and so far he's always said yes). He's also done a few rounds of swimming lessons which he loved and for him to know how to swim is very important imo.

i teach martial arts i am a 4th degree black belt in tae kwon do, but we teach all types of arts and weapons... have done martial arts my whole life... most of these MMA fighters make me sad. I think I will try tee ball in the fall... he has a strong arm. my son has participated in a few tae kwon do classes, but he doesn't ever want to go an i won't force him.. i was forced. My son swims we have a pool. He loves swimming but what kid doesn't?

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to agree with WV on the swimming lessons.
Learning to swim early and properly could save a child's life.
I learned the hard way when my sister talked me into jumping into a lake off the dock with 20 foot deep water for a Canadian quarter. Someone jumped in and saved me and she never even paid up. :(. To this day I am a poor swimmer.

oh man that stinks... i don't swim much anymore, but my mom just threw all of us in as kids (w a life jacket) and we just swim... she did the same with my son

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rugby and wrestling if his school has them.

no rugby here that i know of... i don't think actual wrestling starts til high school here but I am not sure... he's kinda young for that, but i can teach him the basics.. mounts and guards and take downs and arm bars and such

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
At his age, organized sports is more a good socialization opportunity. At his age for soccer, it's usually just getting them familiar with the rules and kicking the ball. I think if he wants to do it, and is having fun, go for it!

G

goodhandluke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How about teaching him the best sport...... POKER :)

B

Bayern2015

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello... I think he need to learn and play fotball reason is in these days football are most important... ;)

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
golf is big down here... i have some friends that are really good... my bf is a great bowler which is always an option too

Golf & bowling, I thought this was a discussion about sports? :confused:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no rugby here that i know of... i don't think actual wrestling starts til high school here but I am not sure... he's kinda young for that, but i can teach him the basics.. mounts and guards and take downs and arm bars and such
I'd actually be very surprised if their wasn't youth wrestling offered near you. They start here as young as 4 and there are multiple locations / teams where kids that young can wrestle.

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest fear is he will not listen although he tends to get bashful (although he is not).
..you might want to try the "letting down the team" approach for the listening thing. I've found this to work quite well with quite a few kids (my own and others I've coached). "If you listen, the coach will help you learn how to play. If you learn how to play, you'll help the team and have more fun then if you don't know what to do", kind of approach.

Pay close attention to what type of coach he ends up with. The good kind take the middle of the road approach. Hopefully you won't start out with either "we are all winners, yea!" (sets them up for frustration at the higher level when, no, not everyone wins all the time) or "winning is the only thing, we need to crush the other 5 year-olds" (the kids end up so afraid to make mistakes they can't even play). If you do, try and balance them out after practice to keep your son's expectation realistic.

golf is big down here... i have some friends that are really good... my bf is a great bowler which is always an option too
check with the local bowling lanes to see if they have a USBC Youth program. (Used to be called YABA - Young American Bowling Association but they brought it all under the USBC header)
Kids can start anytime after the age of 5. Leagues usually run Sept. through May or June. The kids are broken down into three groups by age: 13-18, 8-12, and 5-7 in "bumper league" - they actually have "bumpers" all the way down the lane to keep the ball out of the gutter, so they can have a little less frustrating time playing.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Wrestling is great to build up self esteem in your kid. You don't have to be the biggest, strongest or fastest. If you're willing to do the training you'll just keep on getting better.

I mentioned rugby because it taught me team play and not being scared of "ouchies". I was afraid of being tackled when I first started. After being tackled in practice and creamed during games a few thousand times the fear went away. So did most of my insecurities. If you can find him any kind of team "contact" sport (football, hockey?) you'll be doing him a big favour.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars