makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The best athlete of all time, is Milon, from Croton, an ancient Greek city. He won the Olympics six times, in the sport of pancratium. Τhis record has not been broken since then!

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lebron
Federer
Tiger Woods
Messi
Bolt

I’m big on the idea of evolution and technology which is why you don’t really see any older generation people on my list as I’m simply looking at the athlete perspective. For example I think lebron is the greatest ATHLETE ever because there is no one that has ever had the combination of size, speed, and strength that he does along with the best durability in the history of sports. To me he is the greatest athlete to ever walk the earth.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best athlete of all time, is Milon, from Croton, an ancient Greek city. He won the Olympics six times, in the sport of pancratium. Τhis record has not been broken since then!

Back then only Greek athletes participated in the Olympic games, it was not an international competition.
To put things in perspective just look at the 2004 Athens Olympics, where Greece obtained only 1.7% of the medals (16 out of 927 medals).

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, Everyone! I think, this is a very difficult question by one simple cause: such legendary athletes, of course, more than 5!.. Nevertheless my 5 legendary athletes on the present time are next: Bruce Lee, Pele, Michael Jordan, Usain Bolt,
Fedor Emelianenko... But this is only my private opinion.:rolleyes: Possible to be continued!..:cool:

youri

youri

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stanley Matthews (stayed fit to play pro until the age of 50 and first ballon dor winner)
Messi
Ronaldo
Jordan
Mayweather

costy1300

costy1300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, the Romanian gymnast of 10 Nadia Comaneci remains.

V

valts102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kobe
Usain Bolt
Gretky
Cristiano Ronaldo
Michael Jordan

mimietmour

mimietmour

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nadia Comanecci at the Montreal Olympics in 1976 scoring perfect 7 x 10 wowieeeeee. This record will never be broken in all the world.

kkuk

kkuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi.by far the best athlete is Poddubny.the strongest wrestler in the world.it is possible that it is still the strongest.the man is a nugget, with great strength and his own fighting technique.he had no one to learn from,he came to everything himself.

S

Sooted7s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me personally I feel that Wayne Gretzky, Muhammad Ali need to be in the top 5 maybe even Tiger Woods. Honestly You can't really base a top 5 because there are so many great players from all sports and well everyone is always going to have a different opinion.

meser09

meser09

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nadia Comaneci
Usain Bolt
Javier Sotomayor
Sergey Bubka
Michael Jordan

H

hidayat1990

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kobe bryant,
zinedine zidane,
taufik hidayat,
lin dan,
poul scholes (Y)

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very difficult to pick top 5. First, what are the criteria? Did this athlete dominate their sport in their prime? Did they have a lengthy career? Did they change the way their sport was played, or force opponents to change to keep up with them? Did they go out on top, or did they hang on too long, which may have tarnished their legacy by losing late in their career? Did they specialize and excel in one area, or were they very versatile? Did they go about their business, quietly being great, or did they seek the limelight?

The person who comes to mind for me is Eric Heiden, the American speed skater from the 1980 Winter Olympic games. I pick him because he won 5 gold medals in distances which had varying physical requirements. Heiden competed and won the 500 meters sprint. This would be the equivalent of say, the 100 meters in track and field. He won the 1000 meters, which could be similar to the 200 in T&F. He won the 1500 Meters, which might be like the 400 in T&F. He won the 5000 meters, which might be like the mile in T&F. And he won the 10,000 meters, which might be the same as the 5 or 10K races in T&F. In each race, he set the Olympic record and set one world record. These races ranged in their physical and athletic prowess from the pure anaerobic, speed and power of a sprint to the pure aerobic stamina of a marathon. He competed across this wide spectrum of events against the best in the world who specialized in each separate race. This feat, in my opinion, far surpasses the decathlete, who competes in 10 different events, but they are almost never the best in the world of any single event in that sport.

It is very difficult to weigh individual success against success in team events. Yes, MJ, LeBron and Kobe were amazing, but they were not successful until they were surrounded with other superstars. The same can be said for Brady, Gretzky (Bobby Orr is my choice for the best hockey player of all time) and any of the great baseball (Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson) and soccer players (Pelé, Messi, Johann Cruyff). Could they DOMINATE on their own? No, they needed teammates to succeed.

Roger Federer, Steffi Graf, Serena Williams, Tiger Woods all had wonderful runs where they were simply incredible, but each had a foil, who was very close to their success rate and just a step behind them, and took over the sport when they faltered.

Any comments?

Last edited:
C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can't believe noone mentions Jim Brown.
played 5 sports in highschool. was all-american in 2 sports same time (fooball and lacrosse), possibly the best in both at the time, and only player in the world to be in the Hall of Fame in 2 sports (football and lacrosse).

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ronaldinho Gaucho
Michael Phelps
Michael jordan
Cristiano Ronaldo
Evgenia Kanaeva

E

essimicke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bolt
Messi
Jordan
Ali
Woods

Danximo

Danximo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lev Yashin, Usain Bolt, Michael Jordan, Pele, Bruce Lee

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) Dan Gable
2) John Smith
3) Bruce Baumgartner
4) Ashton Eaton
5) Tie - Mark Allen & Dave Scott

_xgeb_

_xgeb_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
Very difficult to pick top 5. First, what are the criteria? Did this athlete dominate their sport in their prime? Did they have a lengthy career? Did they change the way their sport was played, or force opponents to change to keep up with them? Did they go out on top, or did they hang on too long, which may have tarnished their legacy by losing late in their career? Did they specialize and excel in one area, or were they very versatile? Did they go about their business, quietly being great, or did they seek the limelight?

The person who comes to mind for me is Eric Heiden, the American speed skater from the 1980 Winter Olympic games. I pick him because he won 5 gold medals in distances which had varying physical requirements. Heiden competed and won the 500 meters sprint. This would be the equivalent of say, the 100 meters in track and field. He won the 1000 meters, which could be similar to the 200 in T&F. He won the 1500 Meters, which might be like the 400 in T&F. He won the 5000 meters, which might be like the mile in T&F. And he won the 10,000 meters, which might be the same as the 5 or 10K races in T&F. In each race, he set the Olympic record and set one world record. These races ranged in their physical and athletic prowess from the pure anaerobic, speed and power of a sprint to the pure aerobic stamina of a marathon. He competed across this wide spectrum of events against the best in the world who specialized in each separate race. This feat, in my opinion, far surpasses the decathlete, who competes in 10 different events, but they are almost never the best in the world of any single event in that sport.

It is very difficult to weigh individual success against success in team events. Yes, MJ, LeBron and Kobe were amazing, but they were not successful until they were surrounded with other superstars. The same can be said for Brady, Gretzky (Bobby Orr is my choice for the best hockey player of all time) and any of the great baseball (Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson) and soccer players (Pelé, Messi, Johann Cruyff). Could they DOMINATE on their own? No, they needed teammates to succeed.

Roger Federer, Steffi Graf, Serena Williams, Tiger Woods all had wonderful runs where they were simply incredible, but each had a foil, who was very close to their success rate and just a step behind them, and took over the sport when they faltered.

Any comments?
wow that was very detailed :D

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I'm kinda long winded, verbose, chatty...you choose the term that fits...but I have always marveled at Heiden. While one could argue that Michael Phelps had the single most successful Olympics ever, all his races were either 100 or 200 meters...yes, he did freestyle, butterfly and medley, but the length did not differ greatly...think of it...winning sprints and long distance events in the same Olympic Games...quite a feat.

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Total random stuff... Top 5 in any sport is already hard enough.

But all sports combined...

I would say is impossible and unfair.