D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Not sure how many of you internationally caught the Luton Game but....pheeeewwww! last kick of the game winners now seems to be the Arsenal trademark.

This is a crazy season. Up and down and all over the place but somehow we are top of the League. Flashes of brilliance and still some defensive woes but...things feel like they are slowly coming together and we look like we will be stronger over the season than last year. Declan Rice has been a monster (I think he might end up Premier League player of the year) and even Kai Havertz is now settling in and scoring.

Tough fixtures coming up - Villa, Liverpool etc- but everyone is facing the Christmas fixture pile up so will be interesting to see where we stand in January

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agonic and exciting victory by Arsenal.What I didn´t like was Raya´s performance in this game.The team deserves a better goalkeeper.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Agonic and exciting victory by Arsenal.What I didn´t like was Raya´s performance in this game.The team deserves a better goalkeeper.
A mess that Arteta has created for himself.

I never fully trusted Ramsdale but was not sure that Raya was the upgrade we needed. Arteta played a game with the both of them and now both look nervous and lacking confidence...meanwhile ex-Arsenal goalkeepers are found everywhere, Aston Villa, Fulham, West Ham, Juventus etc.

Not sure it can be sorted this season (and that might cost the team dearly) but most think Ramsdale should be given another chance.

That said, Arsenal need a true world class goalkeeper such as Ederson or Allison and they cost very big bucks....

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Going to Villa Park will be difficult... we were lucky here last year to some extent)) thanks to Martinez for not forgetting where he stood at the gate))))))) but now Aston Villa is different, and what they did with Manchester City deserves praise) although Arsenal did the same with City, Konada Guardiola also had minimal strikes... but this match needs to be picked up, Liverpool is not far away there ((( and it is important to maintain the advantage before the face-to-face meeting...

RhinoRyan89

RhinoRyan89

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Nice last seconds winner

From Rice Rice Baby

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Going to Villa Park will be difficult... we were lucky here last year to some extent)) thanks to Martinez for not forgetting where he stood at the gate))))))) but now Aston Villa is different, and what they did with Manchester City deserves praise) although Arsenal did the same with City, Konada Guardiola also had minimal strikes... but this match needs to be picked up, Liverpool is not far away there ((( and it is important to maintain the advantage before the face-to-face meeting...
Yeah, Villa were absolutely fantastic against City.

Ironically I think Arsenal laid the ground work for teams to play City this season. Arsenal got little credit for beating City in the Community Shield and then in the League,,,but what we did was shut down their attack to a degree no one had done in years. I know this is a cliche, but we showed other teams you need to play City seriously and with some belief. For the last few years City have swamped teams not just physically but mentally - teams in essence losing before the kick off.

But managers took note of what Arsenal did - teams have been competing with City much harder this season and they have waivered and they have not had an answer as yet. They will, no doubt, regroup and will be there at the end of the season but it good to see the Prem wide open.

Regarding the Villa game it will be incredibly difficult - I would settle for a draw to be honest, a win seems a little fantastical. Liverpool will be difficult also. Was not impressed with their game midweek but they will be home and so much is riding on each game now...

Anyways, one positive is the race is wide open this season and everyone is playing with real spirit!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well, that was very frustrating.

I think Arsenal expected Villa to come at them with the same aggression as they had brought to Man City, but they didn't. I think both of us had an adrenalin deficit after the midweek games. But we just did not adjust to the fact that they were playing a passive game.

They get the early goal - yet another example of Zinchenko out of position with a 'back three' left to cope and lost as to who/how to mark- and then we huff and puff for the next 90 minutes. Ball out to Martinelli, ball out to Saka, rinse and repeat. Everyone knows what we are doing and all they want to do is stifle us, which they did.

I'm frustrated as Villa were there for the taking but we never got our heads around it.

Two trickey League games coming - Brighton and Liverpool. We need to get back in gear or Christmas is not going to be that festive this year.

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Eh, a bad result... Trossard should have been released from the first minute... after a fight, they don't wave their fists (( the density after this fight in the table has become one point, we must beat Liverpool at all costs, we can't play at anfield like last year ... and Liverpool has enough problems, so we need to take advantage of these, but let's see how it will be...

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Mikel Arteta refused to comment on two penalty claims but did say he he felt defeat was unfair on his side.

“We are the better team and didn’t deserve to lose but this is football,” he told Sky Sports.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Mikel Arteta refused to comment on two penalty claims but did say he he felt defeat was unfair on his side.

“We are the better team and didn’t deserve to lose but this is football,” he told Sky Sports.

There is one clear photo doing the rounds of Douglas Luiz kicking the back of Gabriel Jesus' leg, which is already raised in the air to try to control the ball. That was a stone cold penalty. How VAR dismissed this is absurd, but...

We were our own worst enemies. We ran the game (led in all stats, XG, possession over 60% etc.), but were not incisive and failed to take our chances.

Regarding VAR, Arsenal cannot rely on it as there is referee bias involved and everyone can see it (it's gone on for years and years). Most referees come from the North East of England and they have despised Arsenal for ages as they are the flair team from the South. But, referees put their fingers on the scale all the time.

Anyone who watched the early game of Crystal Palace against Liverpool would have seen referee bias in play already.

Liverpool came to London and looked tired and disinterested, as though they could just stroll around against Palace and get the win. But Palace were organized and motivated, got a penalty after a VAR decision (correct) and were then 1-0 up. Enter the ref who gave a soft yellow against Ayew, and then another for a nothing tackle a little later and he got sent off. Palace cant even reorganize and Liverpool get their first goal a minute later. Everyone was outraged (commentators, journalists as well as of course Roy Hodgson) but Liverpool get the assist to the top of the table.

When Arsenal were away at Newcastle there were three VAR challenges to the Newcastle goal, but the refs still gave it. I'll repeat, we are not going to get fair VAR decisions.

What Arsenal will have to do (as with other teams) is win without VAR calls. We need to take all our chances, which we did not do against Villa. If we had of scored, we likely would have then won and would still be at the top of the table.

Its not fair but it is reality. Arsenal need to play angrier because they are frequently facing 12 men plus.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a pity Arsenal couldn´t win at Villa Park but beating Manchester City and Arsenal in a week is not easy at all.Congratulations to Unai Emery for the great job

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

By the by, just for context, the referee in the Villa /Arsenal Match, Jarred Gillet is a self declared Liverpool fan. As he has been open about the fact he is not allowed to referee Liverpool games.

Which meant on Saturday he was fully aware Liverpool had won at Crystal Palace as that game was the early lick off, before he then refereed the Villa/Arsenal game. Gillet knew Liverpool had gone top and an Arsenal loss would keep them there.

A couple of points.

There have been raging arguments about both of the games decisions. Regarding Arsenal's game, even if you discard the idea of corruption or conscious bias, I think it absurd to rule out unconscious bias. And regarding that type of bias people are asking why PGMOL and the FA are not even aware enough to note ( or did not care?) that this should have been seen as a conflict of interest - Jared Gillet refereeing a match which confirmed who would lead the table when he is an ardent fan of one of those teams- and directed another referee take charge of the game.

Second point. When Havertz scored the equalizer, photos have now confirmed that Jarred Gillet had no clear line of sight to the action because other players blocked his view to Havertz/Cash on the goal line. Gillet, for what ever reason blew for a foul - back to the bias. That then gave him the option to rule the goal out and in these circumstances VAR has not been over ruling the on pitch decision.

So, conversely, if Gillet had not blown his whistle, Var would not have pushed to cancel the goal. Gillet whistled hoping he could find a reason to disallow the goal. At this point I personally don't care what kind of bias was in play, but in play it was.

That said, if Arsenal had taken their chances in a game where they outplayed Villa, they could have drawn if not gone on to win. They have to take referee bias out of the game by scoring winning goals, it is as simple as that, however frustrating the situation,

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A small setback against Villains of Birmingham should not perturb much. Gunners asabiyyah this season looks best compared to rivals!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Nice draw at PSV before heading to the final 16 of the Champions League with a heavily rotated team

Reiss Nelson looked great (man of the match for many) but a shame that Ethan Nwaneri and Ruell Walters did not get a run out as youngsters. Nwaneri is a phenom and other teams would get him senior game time as a 16 years old - he is that good and already plays way above his age for Arsenal and England.

Good also to see Emile Smith Rowe back from injury again...let's hope he stays fit for the rest of the season.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really didn´t expect Arsenal would reach the round of 16 so easily.Good to see some players who need minutes to play in the team.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Gabriel Jesus scored only his 3rd goal this season, opening the scoring against the Brighton .. surely the fans expect more from the Brazilian

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Arsenal of strength)) We missed a lot of chances, but it's nice that we played our own football and completely dominated. well, Kai Havertz is finally doing some good))

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Gu normally the lot fell. Porto are rivals in the Champions League. I hope they will make it to the next stage of the tournament. well, at the weekend we need to humiliate Liverpool on their field, that's where the game for 6 points will be))

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They should have a chance considering how very poor Liverpool and Manchester United looked in the Premiership yesterday. Not a whole lot of stiff competition.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Gabriel Jesus scored only his 3rd goal this season, opening the scoring against the Brighton .. surely the fans expect more from the Brazilian

True, but the stat is a little deceptive.

Jesus has four goals in the Champions League as well as a few assists. His overall goal and assist total (goal involvement) is 10 for the season.

Further, much is made of Arsenal needing a potent 25 goals a season striker but its a superficial, silly argument. Last season Arsenal scored only six goal less than Manchester City who brought the record breaking Haaland into the league. This season Arsenal have once again had more team members contributing goals that any other - as it stands in the PL alone Arsenal have had 13 different goal scorers and 14 different assists makers.

Additionally our goal tally and goal difference match the best such as Liverpool and Man City for this season.

Bit of a contentious issue for me. I would like an out and out prolific scorer in one sense...but...I genuinely love the fact we have a team of ball players who can all contribute goals. It shows the team has a high technical ability. But more importantly, I think it is great for team spirit - something seldom discussed by pundits. I love it when we win a game and have multiple goal scorers - no other team can match us on that front and it is something to be envied.

I would prefer us to strengthen defense or midfield in January and leave a striker addition until the summer transfer window.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Gu normally the lot fell. Porto are rivals in the Champions League. I hope they will make it to the next stage of the tournament. well, at the weekend we need to humiliate Liverpool on their field, that's where the game for 6 points will be))

Yeah, Liverpool have not been convincing this season and they were way to casual (arrogant) on Saturday when they obviously thought they could roll over Man U. The problem facing Arsenal is that Liverpool will take them very seriously, unlike United. That said we should have beaten them last year at Anfield....

Very nice we drew Porto in the CL but a bit of a joke City drew Copenhagen,

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really expected a more complicated game against Brighton but the team´s victory was never at risk.Arsenal dominated the whole match

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
True, but the stat is a little deceptive.

Jesus has four goals in the Champions League as well as a few assists. His overall goal and assist total (goal involvement) is 10 for the season.

Further, much is made of Arsenal needing a potent 25 goals a season striker but its a superficial, silly argument. Last season Arsenal scored only six goal less than Manchester City who brought the record breaking Haaland into the league. This season Arsenal have once again had more team members contributing goals that any other - as it stands in the PL alone Arsenal have had 13 different goal scorers and 14 different assists makers.

Additionally our goal tally and goal difference match the best such as Liverpool and Man City for this season.

Bit of a contentious issue for me. I would like an out and out prolific scorer in one sense...but...I genuinely love the fact we have a team of ball players who can all contribute goals. It shows the team has a high technical ability. But more importantly, I think it is great for team spirit - something seldom discussed by pundits. I love it when we win a game and have multiple goal scorers - no other team can match us on that front and it is something to be envied.

I would prefer us to strengthen defense or midfield in January and leave a striker addition until the summer transfer window.
I have the same opinion about the striker... in the game with Lance, all the different players scored goals, it's very nice. when you look at the result, and there are all different surnames on the goals, it's much more interesting than when there will be one surname. I do not deny that it is also nice to get a hat trick, but when there is a scoring player in every position in the team, it is very pleasing. Purely in my opinion, there is no need for anyone to play in midfield now, in defense too, now timber will heal the injury and there is tomiyasu, but the question of vrotar is open. For me, Ramsdale is much better in terms of energy on the field than Raya. Yes, there were moments when Ramsdale brought a couple of balls, well, Raya had them, the difference is that Ramsdale had it at the end of the season, the code basically burned out the whole team, and it was noticeable, and Raya had it in the middle of the season. and for the striker, Jesus just needs to change the number. number nine in the arsenal for strikers is not a good one))))

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Arsenal should force themselves clear of rest, in January, with only Man City capable of hauling them in. Truly a dramatic season to come.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A good point at Liverpool, all things considered and great to be at the top of the table at Christmas two years running.

Could go on an extended riff about Kiwior should have played instead of Zinchenko...but the fact of the matter is once Jurrien Timber has rehabbed he will take that role (as would have Tomiyasu if he was fit).

Cant wait for West Ham at home this week...should be a cracker.