Running down the clock on every hand: "timebank trolling" or meaningful strategy?

sanyomm7400

sanyomm7400

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
The time Bank can mess up the flow of the game just like game brakes I know we need them.... I come from craps table where rhythm is alot and the time Bank slows that down I know that could be the point... What gets me more is the ppl that just sit out 😣

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The timebank is there to give us a chance to think about our next move in a tough hand, but we've seen players who take a bad beat then immediately start running down their timebanks on every single hand to intentionally impede the flow of the game and "take revenge" on the other players at the table.

At the same time, some players argue that they want to make sure that they don't give off tells based on how long it takes them to act. Therefore, they want to make sure that they take the same amount of time on each hand and since they might need more time on some hands, they will take maximum time every single time it's their turn to act so that their actions are consistent.

I've seen both scenarios play out at times in games where there is no reason to slow down play and hope someone else busts on the bubble, so what do you think? Is intentionally using maximum time on every hand a viable strategy to avoid giving off tells, or is it just "timebank trolling" to be disruptive and try to get others at the table to go on tilt? Do you think that this behavior should be considered bad conduct to the same level as angle shooting?
I try to take exactly .01 seconds to act every time

If they are folding and wasting time.
I want to be betting and taking up no time.
More hands I get, more I win
The longer it takes the less I win

bad Conduct?
angle shooting isn't bad
being the one not observant and too trusting of your opponents allows you to get angle shot.

They say they have 15k all in
reply"Count it"

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
It is my humble opinion that the time bank for the Cardschat freerolls should be set to a third of what it presently is.

As it is, it is already at least treble the length of time that the time bank is for the, say 100K Replay Community freeroll or the 100K Free Satellite.

A third of the current setting is ample time to make a decision in a freeroll event whilst not disrupting the flow of the game.

It's a shame we can't add time bank chips too but that may be a future feature that Replay could look at, ie give everyone 2 time bank chips per hour, for example.

The main problem, I have observed is not people tanking to deliberately disrupt the game but because they are multi-tabling.

My humble opinion is, 'fine, multi-table away, but not on my time, I'm here to play poker at this table'.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a shame we can't add time bank chips too but that may be a future feature that Replay could look at, ie give everyone 2 time bank chips per hour, for example.
Time bank chips are for live poker. In online poker most sites give players a time bank, which is automatically activated, when the regular time has run out. In MTTs its common, that more time is added to the time bank when reaching certain blind levels. In general I am all for shorter regular time and more time bank, so that players can take their time, when they need it, but not for every decision.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It is my humble opinion that the time bank for the Cardschat freerolls should be set to a third of what it presently is.

As it is, it is already at least treble the length of time that the time bank is for the, say 100K Replay Community freeroll or the 100K Free Satellite.

A third of the current setting is ample time to make a decision in a freeroll event whilst not disrupting the flow of the game.

The main problem, I have observed is not people tanking to deliberately disrupt the game but because they are multi-tabling.

My humble opinion is, 'fine, multi-table away, but not on my time, I'm here to play poker at this table'.
Exactly. It's a f...ing freeroll - not the Main Event.

The faster the better.

Some people time-down almost every hand. Even if I usually watch some YT-clip or read some forum during freerolls it's still extremely irritating behavior.

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
it's annoying but a strategy is a strategy and if it pays off then fair gam i guess, also some of these games are wayyyyy too fast so that extra time is handy

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, Pokerstars I seem to remember has/had a time bank. I can't see why poker sites can't introduce a time bank chip system one day in the future.
What would be the point? The whole purpose of a chip is, that players manually push it out, when they want to use it in a live game, after which the dealer manually adjust the clock. In live games there is no need for such manual action, since the computer does it all for us.

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
What would be the point? The whole purpose of a chip is, that players manually push it out, when they want to use it in a live game, after which the dealer manually adjust the clock. In live games there is no need for such manual action, since the computer does it all for us.
It would work exactly the same as in a live game. There are occasions for me when I've found there's not enough time for certain big decisions and that has cost me. My suggestion was to have a shorter clock and have time bank chips that you activate with a click of the mouse.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would work exactly the same as in a live game. There are occasions for me when I've found there's not enough time for certain big decisions and that has cost me. My suggestion was to have a shorter clock and have time bank chips that you activate with a click of the mouse.
But why does the player need to activate the time bank, when the computer can just do it automatically? Right now I am playing an MTT on ACR, and lets say they give me 12 seconds for each decision. Dont know the exact number, but its something in that ballpark. Then if those 12 seconds have passed without me making a decision, I have a time bank of 41 seconds, which is automatically activated. Lets say I react 10 seconds later. Then going into the next hand my time bank is now only 31 seconds. So it seems to me like, you want to introduce something, which we already have in a better form. And I assume, you would know this, if you were playing online poker regularly.

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
But why does the player need to activate the time bank, when the computer can just do it automatically? Right now I am playing an MTT on ACR, and lets say they give me 12 seconds for each decision. Dont know the exact number, but its something in that ballpark. Then if those 12 seconds have passed without me making a decision, I have a time bank of 41 seconds, which is automatically activated. Lets say I react 10 seconds later. Then going into the next hand my time bank is now only 31 seconds. So it seems to me like, you want to introduce something, which we already have in a better form. And I assume, you would know this, if you were playing online poker regularly.
It is you who is assuming, not I.

You're assuming I play on any number of sites. I haven't played Pokerstars, which definitely had that system, in years.

I play on Replay and Replay only. I don't have the time nor the inclination to play poker 24-7.

I think time bank chips would make a good addition to Replay poker.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think time bank chips would make a good addition to Replay poker.
Or just a time bank like all the real money sites have. But to be honest its also a case of "what you pay is what you get". Real money sites have far more money for software development, and unsurpricingly their software is better as a result ;)

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Or just a time bank like all the real money sites have.
But then we're back to the problem of people taking too long to play their hand, be it deliberately tanking (rare) or multi-tabling (common). Don't forget, I am purely referring to Reply freerolls here.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But then we're back to the problem of people taking too long to play their hand, be it deliberately tanking (rare) or multi-tabling (common). Don't forget, I am purely referring to Reply freerolls here.
If CC has anything to say about it, just shorten the time allocation then. As someone else said, its a f.... freeroll not the main event. So whats the big deal, if someone occationally times out and have their hand folded? Then maybe they learn to think and act faster in the future. I understand, that beginners might need more time for some decisions, but if the majority gets frustrated by the slow pace of play, then speed it up. If "the clock" was 5 seconds preflop and 10 seconds postflop, it would be limited, how much people could stall the action :)

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Which is what I humbly put forward for consideration at the top of this page.

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The delay can be considered an abuse, but I don't think it is a direct violation of the rules. Even if you investigate such cases in more detail, anyone suspected of such abuse can always provide a dozen more or less truthful explanations for their actions. I don't think that delaying the time can be considered a violation of the rules, it is an abuse, but not a violation.

Fosterbio

Fosterbio

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
You also forgot about such a moment as showing a fake "tell". When the opponent has the nuts, but he does not snap push, but stalls for time... to create the impression that perhaps this is a bluff. In general, each player can manage his time bank as he wants, although I do not argue that sometimes it is annoying

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Get rid of the time banks and throw people off the tables if they time out too many times in a row.

People who take a long time to decide are often multi-tabling over their capacity.

It wouldn't surprise me if some also use some RTA.

(I can have some sympathy for slow play if someone is mentally or physically handicapped or a beginner.)

People who play for fun often hate it when the games slow down. So unless it's a high-stakes game: speed it up!
Have to agree with what you said. Running down the clock is also a common act just before the break or on the bubble of multi table games.
....and don't forget run down the clock just to sit out at the end.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In my opinion, before sitting down at the gaming table, you need to study the rules of poker, including trolling the time bank, which is used by players for their individual game strategy.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Of course, if the site gives a certain amount of timebank to all players, and also some seconds to make decisions, they can use it in any way they want, including as a personal strategy. But I honestly don't see how this can be positive to the player.

In a poker tournament, or even in a cash game, the goal usually is to play as many hands as possible, right? In some situations you might want to slow down and tank a bit more, and that's ok, but let's say that the tournament has just started, what would be the profit to do this? Why to play less hands? Increase variance? I can only conclude that it is to tilt players.

When we face someone who does all this tanking, we have to do our best to not tilt or get annoyed. We can't do anything about it, so why bother? But I think this is not ethical at all. I remember that Martin Kabrel in the wsop, the guy is so annoying, but what can one do?

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Strongly agree with the point about folding immediately when you were never going to play the hand anyway. Is there really a reason to go in the tank when you have 92o in the BB and there is 3-betting and 4-betting pre-flop before it's your turn to act?

I sometimes wonder if players that take max time on every single hand without exception think they're trying to exercise some kind of empty authority or power play over the table, the same way toxic companies tell you to come to their office at 9AM for a job interview but make you wait outside for two hours on purpose before calling you in, just because they can. This is a well-known tactic of people who like to control others: I am more important than you, so I will make you wait for me.

It was a definite turn-off and IMO accomplished nothing at all. If you weren't ever going to play the hand anyway, just fold already.

I agree. They use it to nullify skill level.

I use the time as a strategy concept
I don't always run the time , but when I do I also use my entire time bank

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The timebank is there to give us a chance to think about our next move in a tough hand, but we've seen players who take a bad beat then immediately start running down their timebanks on every single hand to intentionally impede the flow of the game and "take revenge" on the other players at the table.

At the same time, some players argue that they want to make sure that they don't give off tells based on how long it takes them to act. Therefore, they want to make sure that they take the same amount of time on each hand and since they might need more time on some hands, they will take maximum time every single time it's their turn to act so that their actions are consistent.

I've seen both scenarios play out at times in games where there is no reason to slow down play and hope someone else busts on the bubble, so what do you think? Is intentionally using maximum time on every hand a viable strategy to avoid giving off tells, or is it just "timebank trolling" to be disruptive and try to get others at the table to go on tilt? Do you think that this behavior should be considered bad conduct to the same level as angle shooting?
I used my timebank yesterday to skip pot limit Omaha lol
it was a multigame mtt and I wanted a less variance game that wasn't their best known games

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not think that the systematic use of a time bank can be considered a violation of the rules. Maybe it's not ethical in relation to other players, but it's the right of every player to use their time bank as they see fit. There are different people, and accordingly different players, someone may want to deliberately annoy their opponents, someone needs more time because they play several tables, and someone is just a kind of "brake" by nature and there is nothing to be done about it.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It's very bad habit ofcourse . On pc or laptop mostly there is no excuse for such delays from players . But on mobile , if you also use other Apps at the same time , then it can happen . Replay poker sucks completely . No sounds when it's your time to act , only sound when the game begins . And their mobile App doesn't support homegames . It's really pathetic , so there I cannot blame anyone for running down the clock .

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands