black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Is it possible to learn to be a top poker player, or is it more like playing a musical instrument, playing snooker, etc.?
Do you have to be born with a latent talent to become a really good poker player?

eb9194cfbfd180ecc58c5f84e8162bae.png

Thanks to @Colbefc for this topic idea
I don't think that poker requires talent, like music or painting. For me, all you need for poker is three components: patience, discipline and free time. Those players who have these three components have a chance to become professionals.

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Nothing comes naturally unless you like what you do, so to evolve in poker you first need to like the dynamics of the game, after "naturally" you will seek information and study about the game, and thus you will certainly evolve, but nothing is natural when you don't identify, first you need to like it, then your skills will gradually improve.

Answering the question in a simplified way, yes it is possible for you to become a great poker professional, only if you really like the dynamics of the game, not because your friend told you that he is making money with it.

Last edited:
P

puzzlefish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Is it possible to learn to be a top poker player, or is it more like playing a musical instrument, playing snooker, etc.?
Do you have to be born with a latent talent to become a really good poker player?

There's got to be some basic foundation for someone to be able to become a top poker player, some basic ability in logic, mathematics, statistics, and being able to pay attention. I think someone can definitely be born without the capacity to be a winning player and someone can also develop in either direction in their youth to the point where they can either rise to the top or sink to the bottom.

Beyond a certain level, there are some that don't really need to memorize the math and probabilities and do just fine playing intuitively. Then there are additional considerations of playing live versus online, where some people are naturally able to read body language better than others. But as we all know, after playing for a while, there are many levels to this and the difference between being really good and being a top poker player is not something that is very obvious in the short run. Even Phil Ivey, who is considered the best poker player by many, once said that beyond a certain point it just comes down to whether or not someone actually has the cards that they are representing.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If poker flaws come naturally, it stands to reason that poker abilities do too, no? :giggle:

It's a spectrum. :D

The crucial thing is identifying and understanding strengths, weaknesses then how/why they benefit or hinder your game.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Everyone has own abilities in everything some bad some good the trick is knowing your plus sides and using those to your advantage....Poker is a sport whether people think of it that way or not....So if your great at math that is a plus...If you can become great at understanding people or body languages that is a plus...Now is one person born with an advantage in those areas of course....No one is good at everything but genetics brain etc...you can train to be great though at ANYTHING you have to put in work...If you take time off like I did 3 and half years? You see the decline pretty easily....Yet what you worked on over the years does come back to you by practice etc... So its a yes and no...Can anyone learn to be a great poker player? Maybe not but if you have some good qualities can you out work others? YES that is the way to success...First in last to leave..... matters...Whether your the worlds greatest goaltender or just working a job...If poker is a job? You got to be open to learning every day...Yet some have god given talent and id say again to that? If have it work on it to master it....reading counting odds whatever comes natural work on it...learn all you can....so everything ive learned from games then video games to poker to college and business and humanity i learned through 55 years of life....The one thing i didnt do in college was psychology...But ive studied people in every sport ive played in every aspect of life and spent about 8 years talking to annie duke and a couple talking to howard on pure psychology....Now I can use that in any aspect of life...Yet i use it mostly in politics at times to try to get people to release chains they put on selves and can use in poker...We are all friends here OR I AM YOUR friend here and wont use the techniques I use against people in a political setting (every job I've ever had ) had political aspects even if I was a boss myself....Which happened from 40's on etc....Anyway learning about people body language as said reading people their motivations that is very useful in poker I do not use it here...Live? I can really get into peoples heads and screw with them but as said found out late in 30s this was a tool in poker and used it well....Now I use it politically on things that I consider untrue or total nonsense to try to get people to realize how stupid some of the things they say are...Why they are so dumb or wrong....I try to do this without the hate that is running through the world etc...just open a few eyes here and there and hopefully hearts....I play poker cause its basically my last sport the last competition my body is not a kids anymore but I have that same PASSION each time even when sickly to do well to out wit every opponent to win...Its not about losing lost a million times and hour later wont think about it :) That is another gift being a kid at heart....Kids are the greatest salesmen in the world they NEVER ACKNOWLEDGE NO's lol that is a gift think people dont use it as much as should :) A no is the same thing as a loss to me its move on next one :) just like a kid :) do i look back at play everytime what could i do differently that is the passion again the never quitting giving up accepting that defeat...That cant be taught that is a true gift :) You can work at it but in some its ingrained....id beat my grandma at poker and I have :)

Last edited:
Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do believe having a natural talent would be very helpful to being a great poker player become much better much faster. Would natural talent be enough? I . I dont think it would. I have a good knack in playing card games. I did pretty well when i started playing poker compared to everyone i knew who was playing. The fact was I was loosing at a much slower pace than them. It was only when I start to study the game did I start to become a winning player. Even more, today as I truly work on becoming the best player I can be I realize how deep this game truly is. While natural talent is great, not working to become a good player would stop most from ever become truly good at the game. You can become great not having natural talent if you study and work hard on your game. Natural talent is not enough I believe.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

It is possible to learn to be a top poker player. A natural inclination of good at math and the ability to solve problems in your head goes a long way to getting there. The other thing NECESSARY to becoming a top player is a dedication to study the game and willingness to change when your ideas are shown to be invalid. In other words don't be stubborn to change.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do believe having a natural talent would be very helpful to being a great poker player become much better much faster. Would natural talent be enough? I . I dont think it would. I have a good knack in playing card games. I did pretty well when i started playing poker compared to everyone i knew who was playing. The fact was I was loosing at a much slower pace than them. It was only when I start to study the game did I start to become a winning player. Even more, today as I truly work on becoming the best player I can be I realize how deep this game truly is. While natural talent is great, not working to become a good player would stop most from ever become truly good at the game. You can become great not having natural talent if you study and work hard on your game. Natural talent is not enough I believe.
I absolutely agree 100%.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Everyone has own abilities in everything some bad some good the trick is knowing your plus sides and using those to your advantage....Poker is a sport whether people think of it that way or not....So if your great at math that is a plus...If you can become great at understanding people or body languages that is a plus...Now is one person born with an advantage in those areas of course....No one is good at everything but genetics brain etc...you can train to be great though at ANYTHING you have to put in work...If you take time off like I did 3 and half years? You see the decline pretty easily....Yet what you worked on over the years does come back to you by practice etc... So its a yes and no...Can anyone learn to be a great poker player? Maybe not but if you have some good qualities can you out work others? YES that is the way to success...First in last to leave..... matters...Whether your the worlds greatest goaltender or just working a job...If poker is a job? You got to be open to learning every day...Yet some have god given talent and id say again to that? If have it work on it to master it....reading counting odds whatever comes natural work on it...learn all you can....so everything ive learned from games then video games to poker to college and business and humanity i learned through 55 years of life....The one thing i didnt do in college was psychology...But ive studied people in every sport ive played in every aspect of life and spent about 8 years talking to annie duke and a couple talking to howard on pure psychology....Now I can use that in any aspect of life...Yet i use it mostly in politics at times to try to get people to release chains they put on selves and can use in poker...We are all friends here OR I AM YOUR friend here and wont use the techniques I use against people in a political setting (every job I've ever had ) had political aspects even if I was a boss myself....Which happened from 40's on etc....Anyway learning about people body language as said reading people their motivations that is very useful in poker I do not use it here...Live? I can really get into peoples heads and screw with them but as said found out late in 30s this was a tool in poker and used it well....Now I use it politically on things that I consider untrue or total nonsense to try to get people to realize how stupid some of the things they say are...Why they are so dumb or wrong....I try to do this without the hate that is running through the world etc...just open a few eyes here and there and hopefully hearts....I play poker cause its basically my last sport the last competition my body is not a kids anymore but I have that same PASSION each time even when sickly to do well to out wit every opponent to win...Its not about losing lost a million times and hour later wont think about it :) That is another gift being a kid at heart....Kids are the greatest salesmen in the world they NEVER ACKNOWLEDGE NO's lol that is a gift think people dont use it as much as should :) A no is the same thing as a loss to me its move on next one :) just like a kid :) do i look back at play everytime what could i do differently that is the passion again the never quitting giving up accepting that defeat...That cant be taught that is a true gift :) You can work at it but in some its ingrained....id beat my grandma at poker and I have :)
Paragraphs/line breaks are your friend..! :D

choche0372

choche0372

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

A nice example with a musical instrument! Of course, in order to play a musical instrument you need to know the notes, so in poker you need to know the basics. Well, virtuosos become people with natural talent who know the basics.