seiya1989

seiya1989

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think that if you train and learn you can become a good poker player. and on the other hand, intuition is very important in poker and that is something natural and like everything in life there are people who have better intuition than others and that is what you are born with.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I think that top players are born with it. A sharp mind, developed intuition - all of this is developed in the genes, and if you don’t have it, then even if you play for 20 years, you won’t become a millionaire.It would seem that I was realizing my talent to the fullest extent, but at the same time it always seemed to me that my potential was much greater, that, while doing what I seemed to love, I was nevertheless missing out on something very important, that my calling lay in something close, but not exactly in what I was doing now.On the other hand, it is often really difficult for us to recognize our strengths. After all, not everyone had them pointed out to them in childhood. But still, you can discover your talents yourself.Our very dreams contain hidden talents, even if we haven't discovered them yet. Poker geniuses are rare.

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think everyone can become a good, professional player if they want it bad enough. I think players don't become professionals just because they lack patience, discipline, perseverance and time. Professionalism is acquired over the years, it can be 5 or 10 years of playing. I do not exclude that there are players who have reached their professional level of play after 20 or even 30 years. I think if we take all the players as 100%, then at best there are only 3-5% of them who are ready to go for their goal no matter what.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Hmmm, I'm going to answer, but it's not just in poker. There are people blessed with wonderful talents who do not put in the effort to shape their work and finish it by tearing it to pieces.
A lot of people don't have the discipline to work hard! They have enough talent to become good at it even if they don't put in the effort...

Yes, poker skills can come naturally, but if you don't work on them - doesn't matter, you're not going to be great in the game... ;)

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You learn the game , but like in sports I think some people have better natural strategy. I see in sports that some people cannot grasp percentages, concepts etc. the same May apppky to a game like poker.

Flyer35

Flyer35

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think there are two ways to become a really good poker player. The first is through really hard work - study and practice. I don't believe you can make it to the top this way though.

The second is through natural talent (plus work). This is the way to make it to the top. Once you make it to the top, and all else equal, it comes down to luck.

Natural Talent + Work + Luck = Bracelets Galore!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Swede Tooth
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think there are two ways to become a really good poker player. The first is through really hard work - study and practice. I don't believe you can make it to the top this way though.

The second is through natural talent (plus work). This is the way to make it to the top. Once you make it to the top, and all else equal, it comes down to luck.

Natural Talent + Work + Luck = Bracelets Galore!

I agree 100% except for the part about 'Luck'.
For tournament play, it can no doubt help ie. look at spots like the one where Duhamel played the hand poorly vs. Matt Affleck and yet Duhamel sucks out & goes on to become the wsop MainEvent champ (and had some decent scores after a well but seems to have lost his enthusiasm a short time later... Affleck continues to play & work hard.).
Or the time where Shaun Deeb was going deep in the Main (2011) until a huge spot where he 5Bet with AA only to have the aggro German player )Max Heinzelmann ('HotKarl' online) ship it allin with a 6-Bet while holding A6o... the A6o won! The board ran out with two 6's giving Max the win. Max retires from live poker in 2014 (did have back-to-back 2nd's in EPT just prior to the 2011 Main)... Deeb continues to grind becoming #1 online MTT player and then later the WSOP player of the year and a top Mixed game player.

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Is it possible to learn to be a top poker player, or is it more like playing a musical instrument, playing snooker, etc.?
Do you have to be born with a latent talent to become a really good poker player?
To me it is possible to develop some good basic strategy based just on the experience, but I don't think it's enough to get to be a top player.
Instead of a specific talent, I'd say you need a specific mindset.
Edit: plus a lot of study and preparation

DanS87

DanS87

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Whilst some people might find it easier than others to pick up poker, ultimately the skills are learnt and not natural. With practice, you can become a good poker player.

Take the time to really study your plays and try and learn something from every game you play and your skills will increase accordingly.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think that most people can learn to be good poker players. However, a talent for numerology or understanding statistics or probability is essential. If someone shows that talent as a child I believe they could be developed/ trained to a certain extent with their inherent talent could progress to be very good.

This does not mean others without that talent, cannot be good players, but they will need to be more determined as they may not find it as easy.

The simplest way I would say this is we all know Patrick Mahomes, who is undoubtedly the best QB in the NFL, this is in part because of his family and upbringing, which did all to encourage the development of the talent he obviously has. However, if we look at another QB, (Sorry don't mean to upset any other team followers), someone like Jimmy Garoppolo is a system-developed QB and as such his off-script plays just did not work (Sorry Jimmy). This shows he found the game more difficult than Mahomes.

10gerka

10gerka

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a mixture of talent and training, we know that it is not only talent, but you must also train hard day by day to be the best at what you want to do.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Is it possible to learn to be a top poker player, or is it more like playing a musical instrument, playing snooker, etc.?
Do you have to be born with a latent talent to become a really good poker player?

eb9194cfbfd180ecc58c5f84e8162bae.png

Thanks to @Colbefc for this topic idea
Of course, there are talented people who have a natural aptitude for a particular profession. But there are also hard-working people who compensate for their lack of talent by working hard and persistently, and in my opinion, it is these people who have the best chance of achieving professionalism. There are few such people, but they do exist. Therefore, I think that not everyone can become a professional player, as there are not so many people who are ready to work hard and persistently.

olejean

olejean

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Again, there is a big difference between online poker and offline poker. Offline poker is really very similar to a musical instrument that you can always manage. In online poker I tend to think that the main element of success is luck because the computer dealer has its own specific of distribution the winning hands.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Lack of talent is compensated by perseverance and the ability to achieve goals. I think anyone who is willing to spend years of their time on it, anyone who is patient and determined enough, can become a professional player.

oriole

oriole

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Becoming a top poker player is a mix of both talent and training. While some people might have a natural feel for the game, success comes from a lot of practice, study, and developing mental toughness.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
With anything comes work to become better. Hard work beats talented any day. Thank you for your question.

D

dersun313

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
TW
Chips
Temperament is important, but learning can be great. I wish you to be stronger.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Both! It is possible to develop and improved the techniques through studies, training and experiences, as there are also people who are born with high abilities (that is, giftedness) characterized by high potential skills.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that you can learn from a top player, by watching how he plays, why he makes a certain move, or why he folds, etc.

kishamania

kishamania

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
No one will tell you a definite answer to this question. Noah I think there is something in this and it is quite possible that yes

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
In my opinion it is always good when you have a talent for what you wanna do in life, but it is also necessary to study and stay up to date with the whole stuff you wanna be good at.
So i would say, it is 30-45 % talent by the player(depends on the type of player you are) and other part more than 50% is training, studying and your enthusiasm for the game.
3rd part is luck - you need it your whole life and also in poker, so i would say to make an usefull addition in maths, 40% talent, 50% training..., and 10% luck@table = 100%!

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think some people are born with talent but the skill has to be learned or maybe even taught over time with training, whether it's through books,videos or observation of the pro's. Oh and a bit of luck always helps out too!

Toruk Makto

Toruk Makto

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes! I believe that with study and naturalness things happen... 😉

x patrice x

x patrice x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Practice makes perfect! Nobody is born with a perfect understanding of the game of poker.

Of course, good genes can help you become an excellent poker player, but nobody starts from "0 to 100" on the first hand they play in their life.

It takes practice and time to reach your full potential, and whether this is enough to become a confident poker player is very individual.

dangbaonguyen93

dangbaonguyen93

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
I think yes, when you are born which hand you are dominant and how you practice to change that habit, like your brain's thinking habit, are you left brain or right brain, logical or emotional. You try to ask the question and see.