cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes, I consider poker a mental sport, which requires physical and emotional balance, concentration, for long tournaments there is a need for physical preparation as well.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker is not like a sport, because an athlete needs to be born with talent, but poker is easier - anyone with a decent bankroll can learn it if they want.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think so. Poker is mind game based on some skills and luck. You don't need to train your body to become a poker player so in my opinion it's not a sport.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Does anyone know how many times this has been asked in this forum?

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
In my case, poker successfully replaces sport.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Explain..
I don't consider poker a sport. I consider poker a source of income. Poker is the golden mean between chess and slots. In poker not everything depends on your skills, but you don't depend on luck so much. That's why poker is first of all about money and opportunities, not about sports. :unsure:

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Explain..
I don't consider poker a sport. For me, it's a game of chance, where money plays the main and decisive role :)
But this issue is quite individual, and everyone has the right to determine for themselves whether they are a poker player, a gambler or a sportsman :)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Love poker yes , probably . Online ?? No.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Live poker yes , probably . Online ? No

I hate when auto translator in my mobile corrects my writings in a wrong way . It happens all the time .

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
In the end I have doubts in the classification of poker in the category of mind sport or just a mental game and the most trivial classification game of chance.
I think it can be considered a highly mental game, but because of the endless repetition of strategies and the repeated use of some mathematical knowledge, understanding is enhanced, it could be considered a sport where you fortify a part of yourself......a conscious and active part and when the body takes a break...... So man is always changing and I like it for that.
Have another good day and a wonderful weekend!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
There are many objections about this subject. We say "Olympic games" which is wrong because they are not just games. The closest translation from Greek to English is sports. We should better say "Olympic sports".
So poker is not a sport, like the sports we see in the Olympics, who are exercising the body. It is a game, like chess, like monopoly! You sit and you play knowing the rules!

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A ludicrous question. When I was still playing, decades ago, there was a campaign in the UK to have chess recognised as a sport. It was simply a wheeze to grab extra funding and there was no way I would support it. I would hardly class darts or snooker as sports either because although they require physical activity, so does cooking.

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take up a sport in which you train your mind.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Explain..
Hi :)
I don't consider poker a sport. For me, poker is first and foremost a game of chance and I'm surprised by the idea or statement that poker is a sport. It seems that some players reassure themselves that they are actively engaged in sports, when in fact they are just gambling :)
..... We have to call a spade a spade.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a sport of the mind, and that's not just my opinion, that's statistical data, if poker were a game of luck it would fit into games of chance, which is not the case with poker

10gerka

10gerka

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First we have to consider that in every sport there will always be the luck factor, in football there is also luck, but we know that the players are the ones who have the duty to reduce that luck factor with work and discipline, as for poker, it comes do a sport with a luck factor.

andron205

andron205

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
the competition is about seeing who's faster and smarter

E

Ekuul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Isn't the definition of a sport that is it something done purely for the competitive element. Logging, hunting, can all be professions. They can also be competitions. Hunting does not require a lot of physical capability, more the skill in stalking and shooting.

I suppose professional sporting muddies that definition a little, but football, for example, has no real life profession other than the game itself.

E

Ekuul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
And just to take that hunting analogy further. You are trying to outwit the prey. You can also be unlucky, wind can change, random noises, a misstep. In poker, you are constantly trying to figure out the other players.

E

Ekuul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Interesting that the dictionaries generally state a physical element, but then go on to give examples like angling or hunting, or even wearing clothes.

Do you hunt for sport or food?

Giving someone a sporting chance.

She was sporting high heels and flair trousers.

The International Olympic committee recognises chess as a sport, but not all countries do.

Unsporting behaviour

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A sport where u don´t move your body of a chair for long hours lol. a sport who depends on luck to win hands lol

Argonaut

Argonaut

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sport /spôrt/

noun​

1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
  2. Such activities considered as a group.
    "Sports is a good way for children to get exercise."
  3. A usually challenging activity undertaken for amusement.

I can see a large MTT, such as wsop, qualifying for definition 1. Multiple long days and a gruelling war of attrition, required to keep focus. I can see any MTT, or even Cash Game, qualifying for definition 3.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More a game of skill and knowledge. When I think sports I have the idea that some physical activity has been involved.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker can be considered a mental sport, never a physical sport, so it's not a sport, lying down or sitting down, and I only gain belly