Who is a "professional poker player"?

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A professional player, in my poninion, is anyone whose game earns him a few pennies. Also to be able to keep winning for a considerable time. Then there are the gamers who win many millions.
Greetings

:ah4::ac4:

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who is a "professional poker player" and how much do you think they should earn?
I think to be a "professional" in any work you need to get money for your life by this work. For example, if you get average salary in your city\country by playing poker month by month or year by year - yes, your are professional in that)

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think anyone who can make a living from poker profits is a professional

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a professional poker player is someone who plays a large number of tables at the same time plays a long distance in poker and shows good positive results copes when the game does not add up and increases in limits I think who earns from 500-1000$ per month and above

Steviewattz

Steviewattz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's $250.00 per week, I earn $250 in less than 1 day in my normal job, I couldn't live on $250.00 per week, my fuel bill just to and from work is around $180.00 per week, Mortgage is around $300.00 per week, then I have to eat, pay for electricity, gas, water, internet, and mobile phone bills, $1000.00 per week may be a bit closer and even then it wouldn't be a comfortable life and there's no ability to save for when variance inevitably hits. :icon_pale

;)
Damn. Personally, At this point, I'd be friggin ecstatic with $250 a week in poker profits! Lol

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a professional poker player is someone who plays a large number of tables at the same time plays a long distance in poker and shows good positive results copes when the game does not add up and increases in limits I think who earns from 500-1000$ per month and above
And what need pro to earn results what you wrote?
Or by another words - what need player to became pro?

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A professional player is the one who wins more often and earns more than others...

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
As I understand from all your answers, poker pro must earn by playing poker enough money to pay all needs in his life. But prizes in poker tournaments is limited and no one pokerpro can't wait to win money every game. Poker pro first must have some bankroll for participating in games and some money for living. So how much money must have player to become pro?

I think the main thing is a dream and a goal. It is not necessary to spend your own money on the game, because you can really build a bankroll by playing in freerolls.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the main thing is a dream and a goal. It is not necessary to spend your own money on the game, because you can really build a bankroll by playing in freerolls.
So how much must be bankroll for begin play as pro?

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that to consider yourself a poker professional you have to have a long career as a player, stand out in various types of poker not only in texas holdem, have obtained a small fortune in different tournaments and above all have the ability to teach others what learned to inherit your success and poker philosophy to future generations, these are the true professionals of Poker. Regards.

linf

linf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just like in sports - if a player makes a living poker - he is a professional player.

sequoia

sequoia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, a professional is someone who can live on poker earnings.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who is a "professional poker player" and how much do you think they should earn?

Professional poker player is the one who wastes half of his active lifetime sitting at the table and observing rotation of the same 52 cards. Just like a squirrel in the wheel.

How much? Well it depends, if you're talking about the money. But one thing for sure - being grandpa that professional poker player will have less interesting tales to tell to his grand children. Some BS about odds/outs/spades and such.

Humans are different, some may have a very interesting life, what I've typed above isn't based on my experience, it's just "a priori":captain: thinking about psychological portrait of average so called "poker pro" who spends 8+ hours a day playing cards instead of doing something useful and interesting like saving lives or building rockets.

C

CliffieDeuce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a simplistic view. If you are making money constantly, then you are a professional.
Even if you have a normal day job and your wins exceed your loss, then you are professional.

It is a hobby that supplements your income.

Pepitcho23

Pepitcho23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me their whole life its about poker, poker make them eat but also live. Earn more than 10 000$ per month.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A professional poker player is a person who can handle his emotions and has a high degree of luck

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Professional poker player is the one who wastes half of his active lifetime sitting at the table and observing rotation of the same 52 cards. Just like a squirrel in the wheel.

How much? Well it depends, if you're talking about the money. But one thing for sure - being grandpa that professional poker player will have less interesting tales to tell to his grand children. Some BS about odds/outs/spades and such.

Humans are different, some may have a very interesting life, what I've typed above isn't based on my experience, it's just "a priori":captain: thinking about psychological portrait of average so called "poker pro" who spends 8+ hours a day playing cards instead of doing something useful and interesting like saving lives or building rockets.

For me their whole life its about poker, poker make them eat but also live. Earn more than 10 000$ per month.
Poker players "who spends 8+ hours a day playing cards" named "grinders" or not?
Is grinders=pro?
On my mind pro must not play every day all his life, but he must be able to choose the best tournament for yourself and play it as efficiently as possible.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Betting against Trump
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Phil Helmuth (& thousands of others)

How much? As much as they want. Or maybe enough so that they can cover their living expenses.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a simplistic view. If you are making money constantly, then you are a professional.
Even if you have a normal day job and your wins exceed your loss, then you are professional.

It is a hobby that supplements your income.

Poker is job if you haven't usual job and expect to earn money for life by winning in game.
It's a hobby if you play for fun or relax from your main job.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A professional poker player is a person who can handle his emotions and has a high degree of luck
If you have "high degree of luck" you can play bingo and not seat 8+ hours/day playing poker.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil Helmuth (& thousands of others)

How much? As much as they want. Or maybe enough so that they can cover their living expenses.
I ask about the signs that can be used to determine whether it is pro or not.