Can poker be compared to alcohol or drug addiction?

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my humble opinion, no.
Poker is a sport of the mind, perhaps one of the most stressful and frustrating.
but I see the bets being very similar to these two vices mentioned.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
If you don't have control over it, of course, is like gambling.
but then it's too late when a person becomes addicted
for example, yesterday I was normal, but tomorrow I am sick

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I don't think it's comparable. But what it seems to me is that if a person is addicted, they can be addicted to anything.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I think no. Of course, there are gamblers addicted to gambling, but I don't think it's correct to compare it with alcohol addiction or drug addiction.
an accident is an accident or caused by alcohol, drugs or poker

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Poker is one of life's mysteries
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
We can become addicted to gambling, alcohol or drugs, but poker is a game of intelligence like any other game that we can enjoy without harm.

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I personally cannot say that playing poker, where you have to work with your brain, can be comparable to alcohol or drug addiction. Under the influence of strong alcohol or drugs, brain activity is suppressed or a state of altered consciousness occurs, which is exactly the opposite of the brain functioning during the game of a normal player.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I personally cannot say that playing poker, where you have to work with your brain, can be comparable to alcohol or drug addiction. Under the influence of strong alcohol or drugs, brain activity is suppressed or a state of altered consciousness occurs, which is exactly the opposite of the brain functioning during the game of a normal player.

of course, alcohol is not a problem for some people if they know how to drink
it's the same with poker(it is many areas of life...)

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Addiction to computer games and gambling is equivalent to addiction to drugs and alcohol. Moreover, if alcohol and drugs are most often introduced at an older age, then Internet and computer addiction can arise at an early age.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Addiction to computer games and gambling is equivalent to addiction to drugs and alcohol. Moreover, if alcohol and drugs are most often introduced at an older age, then Internet and computer addiction can arise at an early age.
drugs are already used by first graders today
but computer addiction is observed even in kindergartens

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Any addiction to bad habits is a big problem. But in the case of poker, it can be both a bad habit and a very useful one. Therefore, I think this is a question that should be considered individually.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker in itself is not an addiction, but gambling addiction can be compared to drug or alcohol addiction, and all 3 can have negative effects on someones life. This is why, responsible gambling rules are part of the licensing in all countries, where online gambling is regulated. In sweden, where I live, there is a mandatory deposit limit, a ban on all promotions and a "panic button", where players can self exclude for 24 hours. Every 90 minutes a message pop up and inform us about our playing time and win/loss, which is a bit annoying but not really that important.

Finally we have to set playing time limits. On pokerstars they can be set to 23 hours a day, so there it does not really matter, but on 888 Poker we can set them no higher than 12 hours per day. Which is quite limiting for an MTT player and one of the reasons, I stopped playing there, since it makes the site even less attractive and usefull for me.

G

Goalie35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Poker is gambling and gambling can be an addiction. That is why there is Gamblers Anonymous.

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker can indeed be compared to alcohol or drug addiction in terms of its potential to develop into a behavioral addiction. While poker itself is a game of skill and strategy, it can lead to problematic behaviors for some individuals. Like substance addiction, problem gambling can cause significant issues in personal, financial, and social aspects of life. The thrill of winning, combined with the potential for financial gain, can create a cycle of chasing losses, leading to compulsive behavior. Recognizing signs of addiction, such as neglecting responsibilities, lying about gambling, or feeling unable to stop, is crucial. Seeking help from support groups or professionals can prevent the negative impacts of gambling addiction.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Yes, you have to be caution with that

olejean

olejean

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Both are addictions. But poker is a psychological addiction while alcohol or drugs are primarily physical.

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
if so, sometimes it's even worse
We all know that there are players who are addicted. Whether this addiction arose from poker, or from roulette or slots is not so important. There are people who are addicted to alcohol or drugs. Addiction is always bad. It just doesn't make sense to compare addiction with addiction.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
We all know that there are players who are addicted. Whether this addiction arose from poker, or from roulette or slots is not so important. There are people who are addicted to alcohol or drugs. Addiction is always bad. It just doesn't make sense to compare addiction with addiction.

my idea was to inform new players about the consequences of playing poker, so I compared it to something understandable and visible
not everyone who plays poker is addicted but we don't know what can happen
that I already said that today I am healthy but tomorrow I can get sick
many who recommend playing poker consider it innocent and a good thing, although the truth is different

Last edited:
Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think alcohol or narcotic addiction is a more serious and complex disease than gambling addiction. Just looking at alcoholics and drug addicts, their appearance and life, it cannot be compared with the appearance and life of a person who is addicted to gambling.

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think this is a fair comparison. Alcohol in small quantities is sometimes even beneficial, but the same cannot be said about drug addiction.

Flyer35

Flyer35

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think it depends on how you approach it. If you are the sort of person who studies and constantly works to improve your game you are likely not addicted. If on the other hand you just throw time and money at it relying mostly on innate ability, then you are more likely addicted.

A variation on this is the person who only plays freerolls, but plays them together with real money games financed with their freeroll winnings a lot, again without much time or effort expended on learning and improving. That person is likely addicted too, they just haven't yet made the important step of dipping into their bank accounts.

Otherwise, as olejean said above:

poker is a psychological addiction while alcohol or drugs are primarily physical.

jaredrr200

jaredrr200

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
It depends, it's like everything else, there are many people who consume alcohol and drugs without the need to be addicted, the same in poker you can enjoy it without damaging your life or becoming addicted.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Gaming addiction is more of a psychological problem, while drug or alcohol addiction is both a psychological and a physiological addiction. That's why I think it's not worth comparing :)