Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Im only speaking for myself here but I find that when I take a break from playing poker it helps my game. Of course, it takes me a couple of weeks of practice after the breaks to get back into form..
But more importantly, I believe the breaks enable me to absorb more about what i have learned or experienced before taking time off. Poker can get pretty ugly if you make the same mistakes over and over.
Taking a break also helps me, first of all, it helps me regain my patience. If I play for weeks on end without a break, I get impatient and make bad decisions. After a break, my game definitely changes to a more deliberate and more patient one.

Lucho.riv9

Lucho.riv9

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I agree, taking breaks is essential while playing poker, as there’s no point in playing without being focused, since that also impacts your winnings. I believe playing at less than 100% is just a waste of time.

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when you keep losing for sure , we are like a computer , we need to make a pause sometimes to refresh from tilt!

flabilim

flabilim

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
A break from everything is important, especially if you take the game as work and not as fun.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it's beneficial, I've done it a few times. and when I return I feel stronger and ready to face the poker tables.

D

Dougana

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Yes, absolutely. Especially if you're in a losing streak.

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Im only speaking for myself here but I find that when I take a break from playing poker it helps my game. Of course, it takes me a couple of weeks of practice after the breaks to get back into form..
But more importantly, I believe the breaks enable me to absorb more about what i have learned or experienced before taking time off. Poker can get pretty ugly if you make the same mistakes over and over.
I agree that it's important to take a break if we're not in the mood to play. And it's useful to take that time to keep studing.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, a break is a necessity. I can't play without a break, or rather, I can play, but I can't continue to steadily increase my bankroll. Therefore, for me, a break is one of the stages of the game on the way to my long-term goals.

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I absolutely agree. I think taking a break from any learning process and allowing to absorb is beneficial. Lets you look at the problems objectively. Not getting stuck in patterns or creating bad habits are crucial and taking a little time off will help prevent low odd outcomes from affecting your strategy. Well, it is true in my case anyway. We are all different and might not work the same for others.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Taking a short breather to deal with psychological issues like tilt is good.

Or taking a little time to review your game and work on improvements is good but its always better to learn to overcome whatever is preventing you from playing the amount of hours you need to reach your goals.

So its better to find a routine you can get into where you're not overburdened and stressed while you can review, learn and still keep your motivation to play.

So I would recommend developing a schedule that you can follow consistently and build upon it. Like if you can only play for an hour a week that's fine but I'm sure you can find smaller chunks of time to read a book or watch a vid or whatever to improve.

Years ago I would tell folks if they get sick of holden to go play a variant whether limit, please or no limit but its harder to find those games.

Or switch your focus from playing cash games to sngs or tourns. Or don't play other people but simulators to improve your game.

Overall, its better to switch things up then to totally walk away.

If you walk away for too long you might find your style of play isn't as good since the competition got better or you're out of practice or nobody even plays the games you once did.

I don't see too many folks on a waiting list to join a $5/10, 10/20, $20/40 stud table anymore like during the boom.

GL