It is beneficial to take breaks from poker

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im only speaking for myself here but I find that when I take a break from playing poker it helps my game. Of course, it takes me a couple of weeks of practice after the breaks to get back into form..
But more importantly, I believe the breaks enable me to absorb more about what i have learned or experienced before taking time off. Poker can get pretty ugly if you make the same mistakes over and over.

Last edited:
M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that breaks are needed for those who treat poker as a job, but for those who play poker for fun, breaks are not needed.

hardongear

hardongear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Of course breaks are needed especially if one is trying to make a living or grinding poker 8-10+ hours a day everyday. It's no different then a regular job at that point. Life requires a good work and time off balance.

For the normal avg regular joe who has a day job and only plays for a hobby or maybe to make a bit of side cash one shouldn't need breaks as he doesn't play enough to begin with. At least that's been my experience as a 20+ year hobby player that poker has been a decent side hustle for. Now back when I first started I playing I played a lot for the first 5+ years. I need regular breaks or I'd simply burnout after awhile. Back then thou a break from playing didn't mean a break. I still personally studied and reviewed my hands to improve. So was still thinking poker.

Cheers!!!

M

Magallaneroy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
Is super important to take breaks and rest to feel pretty good, if you are not you can get tilt and lose lots of hands.

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, I also take breaks from poker, it helps me think about everything and prepare psychologically.

V

Viking70

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
NO
Chips
I know you're talking about long term, but as someone who easily gets hooked and loses track of time, I have to force myself to take breaks even shorter term. Otherwise I'll be playing several games at a time for hours on end.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Strange, I've been playing poker non-stop for over 15 years now (meaning I've played at least 4-5 tournaments every day during that time). But I do not feel fatigue. On the contrary, after registering on this wonderful forum, I was able to understand many interesting strategies of playing at different stages within one particular tournament and much more. And also I found a lot of good people on this forum, which is also very appreciated for me. :cool:

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that
Strange, I've been playing poker non-stop for over 15 years now (meaning I've played at least 4-5 tournaments every day during that time). But I do not feel fatigue. On the contrary, after registering on this wonderful forum, I was able to understand many interesting strategies of playing at different stages within one particular tournament and much more. And also I found a lot of good people on this forum, which is also very appreciated for me. :cool:
is a fantastic post! ty for sharing.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to take a break from work, from poker too)

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i think its necessary to take break from poker, you need to relax.

olejean

olejean

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Some people consider poker their job. And any work requires a rest, a reboot. This is not only useful, but also necessary.

C

Cooking

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think when you're in a long bad run or very stressed with bad beats, it's always a good idea to take a break, it can be even for a few days only. I always play better after a break.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This break from poker is very important in view of a bad phase, for example, or personal problems outside of poker.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I never played 8-10 hours a day, but my friend did, and he said he had a few burnouts. So I think you should definitely take a break, the maximum length can be different depending on the type of person.

s0ftdumps

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Im only speaking for myself here but I find that when I take a break from playing poker it helps my game. Of course, it takes me a couple of weeks of practice after the breaks to get back into form..
But more importantly, I believe the breaks enable me to absorb more about what i have learned or experienced before taking time off. Poker can get pretty ugly if you make the same mistakes over and over.
Taking breaks can be really beneficial, not just for giving your mind a rest but also for allowing all the lessons and experiences to really sink in. It's like giving your brain time to process everything in the background. I also find that when I come back, I have a fresh perspective and can spot things I might have missed before. And you're right—poker can be brutal if you keep repeating the same mistakes, so stepping away for a bit can be a game-changer.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Swede Tooth
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I find that if I am not playing much even for just a couple of weeks, it takes me a couple/few sessions to get myself back into the groove, where my thinking is on point.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
It is important to pay attention to your condition during sessions and take short breaks to get your blood moving a little, not to lose focus and stay in top shape.Poker gives you the freedom to work whenever you want. But that's only true as long as you're willing to work 24/7.At every level, from the microcellular to the psychological, exercise not only prevents the harmful effects of chronic stress, it reverses them.

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Playing without breaks is just irresponsible stupidity. Only those without long-term goals can make such a mistake. I take breaks regularly. But my breaks are very short, on average 2-3 days a week. Also, at least once a year I take a longer break for 1-2 weeks. The break allows me to rest, evaluate my results, analyse my game and dynamics and adjust my current plan.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is an aspect of training that most people ignore: you need to rest. During those break times your brain is still processing information you learned previously, but the important point is that you are not adding new information do that the brain doesn't get overwhelmed.

Jimlad999

Jimlad999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely good to take breaks from poker, For me I can play for a few days then decide to take a break for a couple of days. I feel when I come back I feel refreshed ready to go again.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Yeah!!! Break from the poker game are very indicated and speakkng from experience, are very important for the players to take them... Doesnt matter how short, even a day it îs good, but important îs to get out of the house in that day 😁

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
A break is useful in different situations...
As a stop loss, or when you’re just tired of playing.
After a break you will always play with a fresh mind!

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Definitely, a break is a useful thing, I even consider a break a necessity. A break allows us to relax and look at our game and results from a distance. A break can allow us to play better than we would have played without it.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think taking breaks from the game isn't very good, if it's about 2 or 3 days there's no problem, more than that I don't think it's good for me, it doesn't work very well

Ataman911

Ataman911

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I also think that a break in poker is very necessary.
You need to relax, forget for a moment, and then rush in with a fresh head.