"Does luck or skill prevail in poker?"

Mazembe

Mazembe

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
NA
Chips
What do you consider more important: luck or skill in poker?
I believe if you depend on luck alone, you won't get anywhere, you need to have the skill and game plan. But also,luck plays such a big part in poker, sometimes you just run good, bad hand/good hand, you are just smashing every flop.

H

havingfun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
ZA
Chips
I think luck is a big component to winning in poker, but if you do not have enough skill then you will end up losing all the money if you play long enough.

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What do you consider more important: luck or skill in poker?
I think luck is still more important. Although both are key factors, luck is more important because it is not dependent on you as opposed to your skills.

R

rufininha14

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I consider skill better than luck, of course a little luck always helps, but skill and experience make all the difference when playing, knowing how to read your opponent to be able to put together the best strategy to play

Flyer35

Flyer35

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My brain tells me that skill is most important, but my experience tells me the opposite.

If you have two equally skilled players, one is lucky and one is not, who wins the game? If one has lots of good luck over the long term (25 years for example) and the other has lots of bad luck over the same period, who becomes rich?

Rich lucky guy

And, if you argue that the odds are that each will be lucky or unlucky the same amount of the time on average, consider that the odds are based on an infinite number of tries. So yes, over a million years it WILL all average out. But the next 25 years represent a tiny, tiny fraction of a million years (0.0025% or 1/40,000). So the odds that each will be equally lucky/unlucky over the next 25 years are astronomically low.

Last edited:
Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
While luck and be seen in every hand we are given, poker is a long term skill game. Skill is more important than luck.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Swede Tooth
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The only way that luck can be more important than skill for a player is if they suck at the pokerzz (aka 'don't have skill').

Honestly guys/gals it's a totally ridiculous question.

jonasz warzecha

jonasz warzecha

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Skill is when preparation meet opportunity
Luck will help in late stage of tournament but skill take you there

M

Mbushe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
NA
Chips
I think you need the ratios like 70% luck and 30% skill. Your skill will determine your consistency, cause you won't have luck on your side every time.

H

haohighsun

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
TW
Chips
When you don’t have good capital to survive bad luck, you don’t have many opportunities to use SKILL to prove which one is right.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In the long run, skill wins. You may get lucky a few times, but if you play for a long time I will choose skill.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
When you don’t have good capital to survive bad luck, you don’t have many opportunities to use technology to prove which one is right.
Hello. Nothing falls from the sky, everything requires a minimum of effort. Even if you don't have a lot of capital, in time you can accumulate, little by little it becomes a lot and in the end you really don't care much anymore these statistics. I hope I'm not seriously offending anyone. Have a nice day!

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I believe skill will obviously win out in the long run. Skill only becomes greater. While luck will always run out.