What is more important in tournament? Staying alive, or fight to make big value?

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Many poker players say that we often have to get to ITM, and then risk more in the game, there are some factors that we must observe in this strategy.
If we are not going to risk our chips, we run the risk that they will end before we even get to ITM, I believe that when we enter a tournament we must play hard and without fear that the chips will end, the main objective will be to have an extra strategy not to play, We need to play with caution, but firmly to gradually raise our stacks of chips so that we can deal with the players who have the most chips when they enter ITM
I believe that our focus and patience are the most important things. Of course, a lot depends on the format and structure of the tournament, you have to play different tournaments in different ways. Nevertheless, I think our focus and patience are two of the most important factors when playing.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you want to see the real nature of a Tournament, there is no better way than to play in a Bounty Hunter game, You get players who do well in the early stages, taking players out and catching bounties, but they gain a bigger bounty on their own heads, and eventually if they make a few mistakes they get short on chips but have a large bounty which is very tempting to other players.
Having a huge Chip lead does not guarantee success in a Tournament, I lost count of how many times I see huge chip stacks decimated by better players, and eventually get busted out of the Tournament by taking too many risk's. Hero to Zero always springs to my mind.
I have played in many Tournaments where I couldn't get a decent chip stack because I was careful where I took the risk's, but in many I made the money, and even made the Final Table where the big money was. There is no shame in being careful, conserving your chips, and picking your fights wisely.
Play each game as if your life depended on it, because in a way your Tournament Life does depend on your actions.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
I think that the important thing when playing a tournament is always to reach the prize position and to achieve that you must have a strategy that allows you to win enough stack to stay until you reach that position. You don't have to be the bubble boy... but for example, if in a tournament in which there are 100 prize positions, you stay between 50th or 60th place until the bubble bursts, you have done an excellent job... then comes a stage of being aggressive and looking for a final table.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Depends on the payout structure and other things.

The extreme case is a satellite MTTs - in them survival is paramount.

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
To reach the prizes, then to the final table and then to win is the strategy of my any MTT.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, at the beginning of the tournament, the most important thing is to take as few risks as possible. I only take high risks at the beginning when I have a very high value in a hand.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi
In the early stages of the tournament, I play cautiously and take risks only when I have a strong enough hand. I don't see the point of risking everything in the early stages if I don't have confidence in my opponent's weakness. I start to play more aggressively in the later stages of the tournament, but that doesn't mean I play all hands in a row. A lot depends on who my opponents are and what size their stack is. There are many factors, and they are all important and should be taken into account.
Good luck :)

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
For me the most important thing in poker is not to fall into despair, not to make hasty decisions because as long as we have chips anything can happen.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
US
Chips
Well the old saying "You gotta be in it to win it" is true, but it's more important to go deep than playing scared trying to min cash👍

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament, I'm ready to take risks. I value my time and prefer to take a few risks in the early stages rather than taking risks when the game has been going on for a long time and we are approaching the ITM.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This depends on the format. A tourney that is winner takes all is very different from a satty that pays 20% of the field a ticket.

Let ICM be your guide.

olejean

olejean

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Absolutely you are right my friend! 😉

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
my biggest issue in tournament is not getting up to chip leaders but when i go for chip lead my cards often do not hold up if go for the lead etc...its hard to keep going for it at times can be a drain but to answer the ?? i think its wayyyyyyyy more important to go for the big win over itm moments....

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It depends a lot on how I am on the day, sometimes I play with caution and other times, I play to test my analyses. Failing to risk, you end up missing opportunities, good luck in your strategies

F

Fossiljan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only for the win and skip ICM etc

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends a lot on the moment, your image, the general profile of the table, your stack, the table's effective stack.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You definitely need to play carefully, but at the same time, you need to be ready to take risks when the situation is right. Everyone can have their own strategy, and each of us determines the most suitable situations for ourselves, but risk in poker is just part of the game, and you need to take such moments as working situations. Personally, I always play patiently and take my time, try to clearly understand the risks and make the most appropriate decisions based on the probabilities. Poker is about dealing with risks and probabilities, and those who are well aware of this will always be able to identify which situation deserves a risk.

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Maximum win rate at my table is my only goal in tournaments.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I make it simple ,my focus is always following my gameplan good solid poker,regardless of If I am in the bubble and players that play extra tight and are afraid of busting out helps me by folding to many hands.

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, you must definitely accumulate as many chips as possible at the beginning of the tournament, then stay behind the stack to hunt less experienced players and aim as high as possible in the tournament ranking.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stay alive, you can always double or triple up late in a tournament. Things can change very quickly. The longer you stick around the best chance you have to reach the final table and make the biggest cash.

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
need both, need a big stack to feel safe but also need to be reserved because stack can reduce very quickly when trying to be aggressive fails

ArmiSoo7

ArmiSoo7

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
It depends on tournament type :) So if it is Turbo or Hyper , than I prefer to play fast with more hands. But if it is 20 min blinds tournament, than I play slow and wait for good hands. When you are close to money and tournament buy in is low, than dont waste good hands. The way how I won many final tables, is waiting for others to lose :D

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on your goal, if the top prize is a more aggressive game, if even minimal prizes are a significant prize for you, then try to crawl to the prize zone

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The main thing in the tournament is to reach the final table, and then it's a matter of luck.

Organize a Home Poker Game