Tournaments without or with short late registration(10 min)

AKShark

AKShark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DK
Chips
Why are there not more tournaments with short or no late registration?

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It allows sites to entice more players into tournaments with bigger guarantees. I regularly get pop ups saying "X tournament is starting now with $xxxx overlay - register now". These tournaments almost always end up hitting their guarantees, so there is no added value for those players jumping in. The players it actually rewards are the good regs that were playing it anyway because the field just got flooded by a whole bunch of fish that wouldn't normally play it.

Personally, I don't mind 30 mins late reg, or even 1 hour if the structure is good, but some late reg's are 3+ hours now, which just seems crazy.

hardongear

hardongear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Mainly an online player. Because sites are greedy and want every last dime they can get. Personally I loathe that late registration last 2-3+ hours for most MTT's. If I owned or ran a poker site late registration would be no longer than 60 mins or not exist at all.

Cheers!!!

Pityesz1974

Pityesz1974

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
to get as many people as possible to register

AKShark

AKShark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DK
Chips
Money, money, money.... poker sites want players to reg, and rebuy👍
You might be right, I don't think it is the pokerplayers who want long late registrations. It should be max. 10 minutes

AKShark

AKShark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DK
Chips
It allows sites to entice more players into tournaments with bigger guarantees. I regularly get pop ups saying "X tournament is starting now with $xxxx overlay - register now". These tournaments almost always end up hitting their guarantees, so there is no added value for those players jumping in. The players it actually rewards are the good regs that were playing it anyway because the field just got flooded by a whole bunch of fish that wouldn't normally play it.

Personally, I don't mind 30 mins late reg, or even 1 hour if the structure is good, but some late reg's are 3+ hours now, which just seems crazy.
I think the biggeest problem is that almost all tournaments have long late registration today. Wish there were were more with short late registration

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because late registration generate more traffic and therefore more profit for poker site. Your choises are to either live with it, play SnGs or not play online tournaments at all.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Late registration is far too long . It's online poker . Everything should be faster , either it's late registration or blind levels . Especially when we talk about low or micros or nano stakes . It's ridiculous to play a 0.55$ tourney with four hour LR and total time of 10 or more hour to complete it . It's ridiculous .

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I also don't like it when late registration lasts more than an hour, but mostly tournaments where I play there for at least 2 hours, sometimes I play on ACR and register for 6 hours in a tournament with a total prize pool of $100)) Are you serious?)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's ridiculous to play a 0.55$ tourney with four hour LR and total time of 10 or more hour to complete it . It's ridiculous .
I agree, but which sites has that other than ACR Poker? On other sites like pokerstars or 888 Poker only some of the major tournaments run that long. In my personal opinion though even 5-6 hours is still to long, unless its something like a $5.5 MTT or higher.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If someone wants to play a game, just play it in time. If you are not in time just go to the next game!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is why I late register last second. When I start, late reg is over.

it saves a lot of time, at the cost at a smaller starting stack.

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I also don't like late registration, in 2 hours (and sometimes longer), a lot can happen, the game can change so many times... an hour would be enough for late check-in. and it's better without it at all, and so I know everything at what time their tournament starts, so you can adjust your day to the schedule of tournaments, and do tournaments more often, the same tournaments, and start them every hour.

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Late registration is an additional element of poker rooms, I do not like it because those who just have fun playing poker play there.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's unbearable to have to play for 1 or more hours and end up losing your chips to someone who just joined, as mentioned, the sites are greedy

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live tourn just single day tourns can have late reg of 4-6hours.

Online, you have similar ones usually on the higher buyin side so you have to deal with that if you ever want to move up in stakes.

The obvious alternative is to do single table sngs where you don't have to worry about it.

But as with my HU SNGs that I enjoyed years ago, all SNGs will probably die away as well.

Or you can work on strategies and look for the +/- of playing from the beginning of a tourn or going in late.

Depends on the structure, the skill level of the population, payouts, the player's style, I mean either way has +/-s and its player preference.

The thing I can tell you though, is if you don't like something, don't try to bend it to fit your idea or what you think is ideal but just go find something else like an sng or a cash game or anything else that appeals to you.

That's what I did.

No regrets.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Why are there not more tournaments with short or no late registration?
There are such tournaments, but they are not available on all sites. If you play on different sites, you will definitely find something suitable for yourself. If you play only on one or two sites, then of course your choice will be limited.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes I play on ACR and register for 6 hours in a tournament with a total prize pool of $100)) Are you serious?)
ACR also have many turbos and hyperturbos. And while they should probably call it "slow", "regular" and "turbo" rather than "normal", turbo" and "hyperturbo", they do give players a choise. So just check in the tournament lobby, how long late registration will run, before you buy in. Or late register yourself. If late registration will run for 4 hours + breaks, do you really need to be there from the beginning? Or could you not skip at least the first two hours, like most people do?
what's the difference if you lose all your chips to someone that has been playing from the start? the results are the same.
Strictly speaking there is the difference, that players, who joined late, gain an ICM advantage by not having to pay the blinds and antes, while their competitors busted each other. However if someone find that unacceptable, they can late register themselfes. Or even better play bounty tournaments, where its a clear disadvantage to enter late, because some of the money has then been distributed already.

When someone enter a bounty tournament with 10-15BB, they are basically putting up their bounty as a delicious dish for larger stacked players to eat, and I certainly dont mind that a bit. ACR have a format, they call "Super Bounty FT play", where the bounty is 75% of the price pool, and its not progressive. Even in those you see people enter late, and sometimes almost half the price pool is distributed, when the last players join. Meaning that if they pay $8,8, then the ICM value of their chips might only be $4-5.
The thing I can tell you though, is if you don't like something, don't try to bend it to fit your idea or what you think is ideal but just go find something else like an sng or a cash game or anything else that appeals to you.
Absolutely. Poker sites wont shorten late registration or lower rake or anything else, just because people complain in a poker forum. So if you dont like certain games for whatever reason, then just dont play them. In that way poker sites earn nothing from you in those games, and if other poker players dont like them either, then poker sites have an incentive to introduce something more popular. Vote with your feet / rake money. Simple as that.

But despite many complaints over the years about late registration, late registration is not unpopular with poker players in general, since lots of people do it. A few years ago 888 Poker tried to introduce some games with shorter late registration and no rebuy called "the classic". But these games struggled to reach their guaranty, and eventually they were taken down again and replaced with something more popular. Its a bit like people claiming, it would be great with a bar, that did not serve alcohol. But when such a place actually open, then almost nobody goes there.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Strictly speaking there is the difference, that players, who joined late, gain an ICM advantage by not having to pay the blinds and antes, while their competitors busted each other.
this is exactly why i late register into my $1 mtts last second. it really only works for small fields (for me) but, by the time i start most of the field is gone and 40-60% of the remaining players get paid. while i don't know the exact value i gain per individual mtt, knowing that i do is why i play an extremely nitty range to prioritize min-cashing first.

its it silly looking to play extremely nitty when i join for ~10 bbs? probably. but im also taking advantage of player error. such as players not adjusting to the mtt now playing as a freeze out instead of a re-entry, not paying attention to remaining stack sizes, and just making overall bad decisions that work in my favor without really having to do any work, at least until the bubble bursts and then i can make adjustments run deep. and, of course, and little bit of run good helps.

looking at my $1 stats, in 688 mtts, ~55.50% of my finishes are in the middle stages, which is on par for late registering. i also finish ~36.50% of the time in mid-late / late position, which includes the final table.

i cash in 26% of my mtts, which is on par with the percentage of players paid in the mtt. so, nothing special there.
  • ~180 cashes / 688 mtts
  • 93 final tables / ~180 cashes
  • 47 top 3 / 93 final tables
of course, this is only a small sample size for small field mtts, so it's not really impressive but it shows that late registering can be profitable, if you know how to take advantage of it and adjust properly.

theoxy

theoxy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate late regs , i dont know why but i hate . :D But it is what it is . Good luck t the tables.

AKShark

AKShark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DK
Chips
Late registration is far too long . It's online poker . Everything should be faster , either it's late registration or blind levels . Especially when we talk about low or micros or nano stakes . It's ridiculous to play a 0.55$ tourney with four hour LR and total time of 10 or more hour to complete it . It's ridiculous .
I totally agree