Reading opponents at the poker table: what do you look for?

Brigistul

Brigistul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If he plays any hand , if he raises with a weak hand, if he bluffs and if he calls with a top hand!

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi
I look at how my opponents behave, what hands they play with, how active they are, how aggressive or passive they are, how they use position, and I make sure to make notes if my opponent is bluffing or playing all hands in a row.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those who fold a lot without risking the stack and study the players at the table this type of players is strong opponent.

In general I prefer to act like a psychotherapist and use conversation or listen to conversations to understand better who is sitting around me.
At first there are several simple tests to see if person uses his head mostly for thinking or mostly for chewing... So those who like to think are more dangerous. In second - how good person at math? Those who calculate well are more dangerous. In third - Poker experience. In forth - acting skills.

So in general if you see a human calculator who bluffs like a Hollywood star, cause you belive him - this person is more dangerous than others.

I don't think that there is some sort of universal reciepe, all tables are different, conversations are different too, sometimes there is no conversation, you have to judge by tells and actions so pay close attention to the way each hand was played. However quite often really good players at new tables are paying some money to represent a loose and dumb image for a start...

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I only play online poker, mainly on CC freerolls, I have studied my platinum-level opponents enough in tournaments over several years, who play constantly and I know approximately what moves can be expected from them, in live poker it is difficult to predict by the actions of a person right away, because Appearances can be deceiving and require study.

Lucho.riv9

Lucho.riv9

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Well, when I play live games, I always play with friends, so I don't usually see many new faces at each game, however, sometimes a new guy arrives at the table. Generally, I can tell what kind of player he is through his personality, as our live poker is more for fun and ends up being quite chatty.
I spend much more time playing online, where it's harder to analyze each player's style unless I've been playing with that person for more than an hour and then when I see 1 or 2 mistakes just put a note.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Nowadays, (IMO) there's a pretty 'easy' tell if a player is strong or weak(both live and online) and that's the number of hands his getting involved in- nit days are over, playing tight aggressive can still work pretty well but overall you need to be more involved in pots; also the level of aggression is very important- like the size of the open/raise, if they limp a lot, C-bet percentage/ size...

Live you can pay attention to the way your opponents behave at the table as if a player is weak/ new to live poker they might have some obvious tells: like when a player makes a significant bet, hesitations and pauses will make strong hands more likely as players betting weak hands and bluffs will usually do so without pauses... double-checking hole cards in some situations... the way they show emotions at the table, especially after losing 'tough' hands etc.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Weak player in live games has nervous body language, inconsistent chip handling, hesitation in making decisions. Also overly passive, limp often, make small raises, call too frequently.
Strong player is confident and composed demeanor, consistent chip handling, quick decisions. Aggressive, uses varied bet sizes, and makes strategic raises and folds.
Online weak players limp frequently, make small bets or min-raises, call down too lightly. Takes long to act or makes very quick, predictable decisions.
Strong player makes varied and sizable bets, knows when to apply pressure. Balanced timing, avoids obvious patterns, deliberate decisions.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think by observing your opponent's body position, you can gain valuable insights into their mindset and the strength of their hand. Paying attention to their eye contact, arm positioning, and leg movements can provide you with crucial information that can help you make better decisions at the poker table. Facial expressions are a direct reflection of our internal emotions and can reveal a person's true feelings, even when their words may suggest otherwise. For example, raised eyebrows can indicate surprise or disbelief, while a furrowed brow may suggest confusion or concentration.

x patrice x

x patrice x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Well, ...my experience in live games is limited, but the first thing I pay attention to is how much my opponent is concentrating on the entire game.

Is it difficult for him to follow what is happening, is he confident in handling chips and stakes, or is he chatting to another player...

Most inexperienced players are nervous, more focused on what is happening in the game than what is happening around them, and very quiet.

10gerka

10gerka

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you sit at a table both online and offline you have to first be very observant and look at the hands that your rivals are playing and score, and never be unfocused.

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
In my opinion live poker is very different from online poker because facial expressions and gestures give you always information about your villains.
If you study your opponents @table you can get informations from the most of your villains and online it is quite hard if you play against villains you never played before. You have to get more information out of his bet size and actions preflop, after flop, turn and so on.
It is sometimes easier to analyse a regular player live than in online poker games.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
you know ive been on the main post bunches and didnt realize needed to check each post and goto the future so to speak i was like this aint a weekly thing DOH so never answered OUCH lucky i got a whole lotta chippies doing other things lol....anywho what do i look for is too vague is a million things to look for....is all kinds of tells...ive been told my hands shake and that is a tell well if its a medical thing its not a tell people....big thing there is not to tell them is a medical thing haha....i dont look at people so to speak for tells i FEEL the room the table...When i walk into a room and am feeling right I feel free and strong ready to take on the universe so I listen to the tapestry of the table...I notice each move and deduct mostly from feeling something that probably most dont trust or even feel....poker is basically math to get a tell on someone I need time...To get an instant feelling? im lucky that just happens....I judge look at hands jewelry how they sit talk etc...and im talking all the time...See how they give off aura etc...know this is not what people are looking for as an answer so to speak but its mine..>I really go by gut over numbers and dont necessarily seek a tell on someone over how they act as play and what I feel to my core about them...So def hard to explain but ive played some of the best....Johnny chan scared me playing him...I was intimidated other pros?? I wasnt but ya johnny was not my cup of tea he seemed to know everything or was just on that day...he read everyone and knew what they were playing he was elite....Is other pros ive played elite but not like that he it seemed could feel your soul many years ago when was at the top of his game :)