In the first round of a tournament, if I get a pair, should I go all-in!!

S

SKChan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
HK
Chips
In the first round of a tournament, if I get a pair, should I go all-in to maximize value? This way, I can take the pot away from two or three players and make it easier later on. What do you think? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
No...:)

Even AA gets cracked, if you want to stay in the tournament, you play with tactics, wait your "time"... :)

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Welcome...

In poker there are so many different ifs and situations. We always want to take actions that are EV+...
So like everything in life the answer is it depends...

Type of tournament? Stack? Phase of the tournament? (in this case we know it's at the beginning, but we still need a lot of information to make decisions).

I don't think it's a very smart attitude to play this way, but several actions can work for different people.

Don't forget to make the posts in English... You can use a translator!

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It will still happen that you will get all-in in the first hand, sooner or later. For example, when he will be sitting at several tables at the same time online or in a freeroll.

olejean

olejean

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It all depends on the feature of the course of the game and which pair you have, of course.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
在錦標賽的第一輪中,如果我得到一對,我應該全押以最大化價值嗎?這樣,我就可以從兩到三名玩家手中拿下底池,讓之後的比賽變得更容易。大家覺得怎麼樣?謝謝你!
Your actions should be based on the best return on investment. If you will get more chips over multiple hands played in that way then going all-in is the best play. Mostly 1 pair is not a strong hand when all 5 cards are seen by 2 opponents so all-in is not that effective a play

MK_

MK_

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
US
Chips
I'm on my phone right now so haven't translated but I'm gonna go hog wild and say yes if you have AA or KK get froogy and jump! ..... I'll translate it later and see if I still like my answer but generally if you aren't going to play AA or KK what are you going to play lol

MK_

MK_

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
US
Chips
In the first round of a tournament, if I get a pair, should I go all-in to maximize value? This way, I can take the pot away from two or three players and make it easier later on. What do you think? thank you.

......so this appears to be your full question,. I don't have a problem with shoving AA or KK, heads up you are 80/20 against all the lower pairs, so I don't mind the shot at doubling, maybe QQ or JJ too, sometimes you gotta go big or go home lol. ..... especially in a freeroll or low buyin, for other pairs it's obviously a little different. I don't think scaring people out of the pot is maximizing value but you up do want to be hu. There's something to be said for building a pot early but not all pairs are shove worthy. A lot depends on the pair and type of game as to how to play to maximize value, gl

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it all depends on the pairing, and it's also important to take into account the format and structure of the tournament. With pairs like AA, KK, QQ, JJ I would be willing to take a chance. But that doesn't mean I always do it :)

P

puzzlefish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In the first round of a tournament, if I get a pair, should I go all-in to maximize value? This way, I can take the pot away from two or three players and make it easier later on. What do you think? thank you!

I think this is what a player did to me today after cold calling a 4bb raise from me when I was UTG. They had a pair of 9, with an Ace kicker. I had KK. All-in doesn't maximize value by taking the pot away from players by forcing them to fold. All-in narrows down who will call, and usually it will be those players that have you dominated. Sometimes you will get lucky and win a big pot when you get called, but I don't think that this is a good strategy at the beginning of a tournament when the risk is not worth it.

If you mean going all-in with a pair before the flop, that is even worse because you will either get only a small amount of chips from the blinds and there are very few hands that should call your all-in.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Depends on the value of the pair, actions before you, and stack depth.

But to open push early is rarely a good tactic unless it is some short stack hyper MTT or a loose freeroll.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are different pairs, it is important to consider what type of tournament, stage, prizes, and most importantly - what kind of hand do you think they will answer you with? Are you ready to go all-in against these hands?

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I would only have a chance of doing that if I was drunk.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think that is a good idea. There is no reason to sacrifice your tournament life at the very beginning. Good luck

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I play all-in like this, depending on my position at the table and how many moves were in the game

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
if it's the start of a tournament, I can support all-in with AA, but I won't be the first to go all-in with this couple

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Risqué my friend at the beginning, If your pocket Aces don't hold up, there goes your tournament.

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome to the community, I think the one you are asking is the worst solution, I advise you to have as much patience as possible and to observe the game of the other participants at the table in order to gain some knowledge about the online poker game at the table.

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
sure if u want to bust as soon as possible why not