How to play JJ?

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is a very good question. Remember regardless of whatever the pocket pair may be someone else also has a pocket pair. So, unless you hit your pocket it could be your downfall. So, proceed with a 3 bet and then see how the field bets. Then if you decide to stay and see the flop take from there. Good luck.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Playing a pocket pair of JJ in poker requires a tactical approach and the ability to adapt to different situations at the table. Jacks are a strong starting hand, but their effective use depends on the context, your position at the table, the playing styles of your opponents, and other factors.

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I find JJs soo annoying to play, but that's liekly because I play them a lot more agressive than I should, or value them too highly

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I raise first in preflop from all positions,I call preflop against a raise from early and middel position and reraise from late position,I fold against a reraise preflop.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Poker is one of life's mysteries
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
How do you play JJ in a tournament?
Hello, and welcome to the Cardschat forum:)
The Jack pair is neither weak nor strong.
So, for the Freezeout tournament, it is a pair and nothing more. It may win or it may lose, and we must deal with it with caution and defend it skillfully after reading the opponents and your position at the table.
As for the rebuy tournament, the decision is up to you if you can rebuy, as for me I will take a risk and play it aggressively and defend it strongly as an attempt to win more chips;) or repeat the rebuy again:(
In general, even an ace pair remains just a pair, and the pair is not the strong hand in poker.
Good luck:)

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
It’s going to depend heavily on your stack size with how many big blinds you have left.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It all depends on whether we are talking about cash games or tournaments. Speaking of tournaments, it is also important to understand the format of the tournament and its structure, how many players are at the table, what stage of the tournament, and you must take into account how your opponents play. That is, there are quite a few factors that affect the game with such a hand. Personally, I'm a pretty conservative player and I take risks only when I understand that there are reasons for it, especially in the later stages of the tournament. In general, it's better to play aggressively with this hand, but you shouldn't risk everything for no reason either.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The truth is I think I still have a lot to learn and especially how to play JJ, I can only say that I have tried to play it in various ways and there have been few times that I have managed to win with them, I will be attentive to the comments and recommendations

Igor G

Igor G

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A lot depends on your position at the table. But since poker is a game where luck plays a very important role, I can say that no matter how you play with such a hand, you will either be lucky or not :)
..... I play with pleasure :)

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
How long is a piece of string? On the final table it's probably a good idea to play them fast, especially if you have a big stack.

Jacks are easy to overplay but when you lose with them you will generally not lose as much when you lose with aces.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How long is a piece of string?
And how do you ride a bicycle on a monday? The type of bicycle and the purpose of the ride is probably more important than the fact, its monday ;)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Extremely Carefully. I ve lost some time with this cursed hand in high stakes tourneys , one was a SM . To know how to play lower or middle pocket pairs is essential, when to shove them or just call or limp .

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a rule, JJ plays with an all in regardless of the situation. I either lose or win

Argonaut

Argonaut

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"There's 3 ways to play jacks, and they're all wrong." - Norman Chad

C

Cooking

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ has a bad reputation..lol
But I think it's because there are players that have high expectations with this card. Maybe I've already lost so many times with JJ that I just expect to lose, so, when I win is a surprise. I play like another medium pair like 99/TT.

flabilim

flabilim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Don't play with JJ like an AA pair, many do that. JJ is a strong hand, but if the flop comes up, you'll feel uncomfortable.

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate JJ.... i always lose with this hand....

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think you'll need to play with it depending on the situation, but if you have less than 15bb the strategy is simple, just go all-in.

S

sandy358

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
ME
Chips
I raise first in preflop from all positions,I call preflop against a raise from early and middel position and reraise from late position,I fold against a reraise preflop.
I think martDdart explained the preflop well there.

Heads-up I'd say depending on your opponents and pre-flop events you have a good opportunity to play agressively for value if you have an overpair (but I would be cautious against opponents that act agressively and can potentially hold a better pair). If the board has cards higher than jack, act depending on the opponent's range and the opponent themselves - be more inclined to fold if they usually underbluff and more inclined to call if they tend to overbluff. I'd say that you should not almost never fold heads-up if you get three-of-a-kind, unless you play against a complete nit on an extremely wet board. And if the board has both jack and is paired it is the best opportunity to go for value.

Multiway though with every new caller JJ's abilities deteriorate massively unless you get a set, so I'd be cautious. If you play a weak table especially in the beginning of the tourneys where you can encounter a lot of limp-callers it can be a good idea to raise big with JJ pre to make the weak hands fold