Should we boycott the World Cup football in Qatar 2022?

PC91

PC91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given the many deaths and the degrading conditions under which workers have worked, discussion has arisen about boycotting the World Cup in Qatar. I think each country has to decide for themselves if they want to proceed with boycotting, but I don't think it's a bad idea. What do you guys think?

Funkyst3t

Funkyst3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given the many deaths and the degrading conditions under which workers have worked, discussion has arisen about boycotting the World Cup in Qatar. I think each country has to decide for themselves if they want to proceed with boycotting, but I don't think it's a bad idea. What do you guys think?
After a fight, they don't wave their fists. I think when the venue of the World Cup was approved, it was clear what problems there would be. The decision has already been made - the World Cup must take place! Ethical issues should not be confused with sports.Sports are out of politics!:)

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
So far i have only seen norway and germany "protesting" by wearing some shirts about human rights or whatever ... For germans boycotting would be much harder though cause they will qualify to that event anyway while Norway can "boycott" by NOT watching that worldcup from TV lol ...

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The boycott must be from us viewers, due to corruption in FIFA, UEFA, CBF, ... Football is rotten! As for the so-called boycott by the teams, it is pure hypocrisy, as they are part of the gang.

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Football is full of situations of wanting to be part of, or successful in, something that's hated. For example, Accrington Stanley are quite vocal in their criticism of the greed and selfishness of the Premier League, but their ultimate aim must be to get promoted to the Premier League.
FIFA and this World Cup are just another example. The FA voiced their displeasure back when the decision was made in 2010, while also trying to get a representative on the board of FIFA.
And teams/nations will "protest" (ooooo, wearing t-shirts. That'll teach 'em!) while at the same time being desperate to qualify for and then progress in said world cup.

It's like high-schoolers complaining about the "cool kids/in-crowd", then sucking up to them on the rare occasions when they're given any attention and generally yearning to be a part of them.

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As I understand it, FIFA is trying to expand the geography of the World Cup, thereby making football more accessible to everyone. no championships have been held in the Middle East yet. before that, there were world cups in Korea and Japan, South Africa, the rest of the regions are practically the same.

P

pcurley17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we should biycott
the rumours coming out are scary

Funkyst3t

Funkyst3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I understand it, FIFA is trying to expand the geography of the World Cup, thereby making football more accessible to everyone. no championships have been held in the Middle East yet. before that, there were world cups in Korea and Japan, South Africa, the rest of the regions are practically the same.
Or maybe the whole point is only in the financial capabilities of the host countries. No wonder the last time 2 host countries. :confused:

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Or maybe the whole point is only in the financial capabilities of the host countries. No wonder the last time 2 host countries. :confused:
As far as I understand, the organizers guarantee the proper conduct of the championship, including finances, even when submitting an application. it is noticed that every last world cup becomes the best in history, probably this is due to the general world progress. so I think Qatar will have a very decent championship.

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
This discussion now is too late. After the vote for Qatar a boycott discussion would have been better, but there were only concerns about the climate...now the World Cup is in December.
With more boycott pressure years ago we probably could have seen the World Cup 2022 in the USA or Australia

Funkyst3t

Funkyst3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This discussion now is too late. After the vote for Qatar a boycott discussion would have been better, but there were only concerns about the climate...now the World Cup is in December.
With more boycott pressure years ago we probably could have seen the World Cup 2022 in the USA or Australia
The United States is unlikely to give away the World Cup for nothing. Still, racial problems in the United States create bad ground, especially in recent years. And football in America is not very popular. Well, in Australia, there is no infrastructure at all for the World Cup.:)

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The United States is unlikely to give away the World Cup for nothing. Still, racial problems in the United States create bad ground, especially in recent years. And football in America is not very popular. Well, in Australia, there is no infrastructure at all for the World Cup.:)

The USA are hosts for The WorldCup 2026 (together with canada and Mexiko). The US could have done easily also a tourney 2022. Australia hosts the women WorldCup 2023, (with NewZealand), they are prepared

At the end, there would have been Germany, with ethusiasm and infrastructure...:)

Funkyst3t

Funkyst3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The USA are hosts for The WorldCup 2026 (together with Canada and Mexiko). The US could have done easily also a tourney 2022. Australia hosts the women WorldCup 2023, (with NewZealand), they are prepared

At the end, there would have been Germany, with ethusiasm and infrastructure...:)

This is the whole point that the United States, together with other countries, will hold the World Cup, and not alone. And the women's World Cup, I think, is not such a demanding tournament to organize. Germany has an infrastructure, and one of the best in the world, but the European Union is ruining Germany and it is not up to major tournaments right now.
:D

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

The issue isn't that it's being played in a new area - the issue is all the allegations of corruption, bribery etc around them winning the bid and the alleged human rights violations when building the stadiums.

And as for playing it in a new location, maybe choose one that has a playable climate in June/July - the fact that they've had to move the tournament to November/December means football is having to adapt to and make allowances for the world cup venue when surely it should be the other way around.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont condone the Qatari government or politics, but give me one nation that has organized the WC without having some implications in Human Rights Abuse, corruption and so forth. Find me one nation that has organised the WC and has had a clean record and I will completly agree with what you are saying.

Dimission

Dimission

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then all countries must now make a statement and not cowardly 2 or 3 countries. Now everyone get up, because otherwise it all makes no sense.

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
This is the whole point that the United States, together with other countries, will hold the World Cup, and not alone. And the women's World Cup, I think, is not such a demanding tournament to organize. Germany has an infrastructure, and one of the best in the world, but the European Union is ruining Germany and it is not up to major tournaments right now.
:D
Right, but the WC is from 2026 extended to 48 countries with 80 matches. Tell me a single country which could manage this? or should China be the host for the next century?
Urauguay, argentina, Paraguay and chile are applying together for 2030, this is almost a half continent

Funkyst3t

Funkyst3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right, but the WC is from 2026 extended to 48 countries with 80 matches. Tell me a single country which could manage this? or should China be the host for the next century?
Urauguay, Argentina, Paraguay and Chile are applying together for 2030, this is almost a half continent
So will whole continents host the World Cup:cool:

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont condone the Qatari government or politics, but give me one nation that has organized the WC without having some implications in Human Rights Abuse, corruption and so forth. Find me one nation that has organised the WC and has had a clean record and I will completly agree with what you are saying.

Problem is this goes beyond implications. Sepp Blatter was arrested by the FBI and, as I understand it, suspended from any FIFA role for years because of what went on.
The O.P. mentions the degrading conditions for workers in Qatar.
If you can name a world cup hosting nation in which this has also happened, I'll happily concede. Well, the worker's conditions arguably isn't an issue for other nations because the stadia are already built, although that could also be interpreted as all the more reason that Qatar shouldn't be hosting.

PC91

PC91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It has nothing to do with the current topic, but it has something to do with the corruption. Very funny.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would say no to a boycott. While I understand the reasoning to do it who really gets hurt by this? The athletes do. While some players may have the opportunity again in the future how many may only have this one shot? Probably most of them. How would you feel getting to this spot to play in the world cup to just be denied the chance to play due to a boycott?

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it wont be boycott soomuch money invoolved in it

N

Nomahoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you are absolutly right and I will boycott. Wont watch, wont bet. Arggggg ! Typing that hurt, the betting part. I started boycotting nfl a cpl years ago and that pales in comparison to what it probably is. I was a pa from start to finish for fifa womens world cup 2015 in Vancouver. Worked for fox sports. Was a good time.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Problem is this goes beyond implications. Sepp Blatter was arrested by the FBI and, as I understand it, suspended from any FIFA role for years because of what went on.
The O.P. mentions the degrading conditions for workers in Qatar.
If you can name a world cup hosting nation in which this has also happened, I'll happily concede. Well, the worker's conditions arguably isn't an issue for other nations because the stadia are already built, although that could also be interpreted as all the more reason that Qatar shouldn't be hosting.
There isnt just one kind of corruption or mistreatment, take brazil 2014 for example and the impact that the olympics and WC has had on the economy, that wasnt just simply abusing workers, but a whole nation that lost billions of tax payers so some officials can get a piece of the cake to their bank accounts. I wouldnt delve into South Africa or to Italy and how the subsequent scandals shocked Fifa in a way that we are still feeling its shockwaves today. Corupption is a tetrahedron with many facets and one apparent vertex, just like the mispelled couple of words in this phrase. The beholder cant see the submerged part of the iceberg.
It is a fact that Qatar and the petro dollar monarchies are mistreating the workers, treating them like slaves, or even worse, but let just say that Nike, Zara, Samsung, Apple, Shell, Pepsi, Danone, Rockwell etc are doing the very same thing and no one seems to give two hot cakes about it. Wars are fought, people are dying, climate is changing, ecosystems are been destroyed, systemically and no one cares much, because we like to own stuff, thats a fact, so when u start growing ur own food, walk to ur destination, not using energy etc. only then u and I can talk about Qatar and the workers conditions over there.