Is Saquon Barkley worth the #1 overall pick?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Getting a back like Barkley extends Eli 2 or 3 years, and takes some of the heat off the ol and wrs. Barkley will not be there at 4. The Browns inexplicably gave Hyde 15mil for 3 years (6 in year one). They don't expect him there at 4 either. I think they will pick a qb 1st, win 3 games, cut Hyde, sign another rb nobody else wanted, rinse, repeat.

The Hyde deal makes no sense regardless of where they think Barkley is going to fall in the draft :p

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll be changing my prediction to 4 or 6 now.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Hyde deal makes no sense regardless of where they think Barkley is going to fall in the draft :p

For Hyde I don't love the signing but if it's only 6 million guaranteed as mentioned above its not a bad signing can get out of it easily after a year. They have to take steps getting better to get quality players to consider them in free agency. He does make them better just at a cost.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For Hyde I don't love the signing but if it's only 6 million guaranteed as mentioned above its not a bad signing can get out of it easily after a year. They have to take steps getting better to get quality players to consider them in free agency. He does make them better just at a cost.

It's three years / $15.25 million for Hyde, with $6 million guaranteed. Another $2 million guarantees if he's still on the roster three days into the 2019 league year: https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/...n-of-rb-carlos-hydes-contract-with-the-browns

That's nowhere near as crazy as, say, the Jerick McKinnon deal in SF and yes, they can absolutely let him walk after a year - though the Browns have enough cap space to be able to afford letting just about anyone walk if they don't like them. Remember how they were willing to eat Brock Osweiller's insane salary just to get the draft pick that came with him?

My question would be is Hyde really that much better than, say, Isaiah Crowell, the guy he's replacing? This is a pretty deep draft class for running backs, even if they don't get Saquon Barkley. Two of the best running backs in the league last year were rookies who weren't even day-one picks (Alvin Kamara and Kareem Hunt).

At best they've secured themselves a slight upgrade on what they had last season in Crowell, but they could probably have gotten the same outcome or better for much less.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's three years / $15.25 million for Hyde, with $6 million guaranteed. Another $2 million guarantees if he's still on the roster three days into the 2019 league year: https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/...n-of-rb-carlos-hydes-contract-with-the-browns

That's nowhere near as crazy as, say, the Jerick McKinnon deal in SF and yes, they can absolutely let him walk after a year - though the Browns have enough cap space to be able to afford letting just about anyone walk if they don't like them. Remember how they were willing to eat Brock Osweiller's insane salary just to get the draft pick that came with him?

My question would be is Hyde really that much better than, say, Isaiah Crowell, the guy he's replacing? This is a pretty deep draft class for running backs, even if they don't get Saquon Barkley. Two of the best running backs in the league last year were rookies who weren't even day-one picks (Alvin Kamara and Kareem Hunt).

At best they've secured themselves a slight upgrade on what they had last season in Crowell, but they could probably have gotten the same outcome or better for much less.

Yeah agreed not a big improvement. The kid from USC should still be there at top of the second possibly and he would of been a better replacement. Possibly what most of the signings do is allow Browns to take best available player instead or reaching for need.