positive doping test in curling

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is interesting to listen to the opinions of non-Russian users. I believe that in curling, doping is not needed, and this is some misunderstanding or other provocation. Krushelnytsky held tests at various competitions and before the flight to the Olympics. Because we have such tests?:confused:

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for which the whole world hates us so much that I do not understand

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is interesting to listen to the opinions of non-Russian users. I believe that in curling, doping is not needed

*shrugs*

Whether it's "needed" or not ( as someone who's attempted it a couple of times, believe me that sweeping stuff is much harder work than it looks) PEDs are still banned in the sport.

Now I don't know all the specifics of this case. But if a competitor failed a drug test, even in a sport where drugs "don't matter", that's still their fault. It's like Nick Diaz getting banned from MMA for testing positive for marijuana. It's not performance enhancing, but it was still his job not to have it in his system, and he failed at that part of his job.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the adequate response. in my opinion, if you are an athlete, sweeping, as you said, is not so difficult, and dope is not needed. Personal opinion

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What was the drug? If it was beta blockers, I could see how they would help. If it was a steroid used to recover from injury, that helps as well.

A Slovenian hockey player was banned for his use of his asthma medication.

Jockerist

Jockerist

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is done deliberately by provocateurs. This athlete hundreds of times and passed the doping tests and have never been accused of doping. Curling doesn't need doping. Many coaches around the world are outraged by the actions of the IOC. Everything is done against Russia.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
For all, the rules are the same.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as it became known, it was a one-time reception two weeks before the Olympics, and you want to say that he deliberately took doping in the Olympic Games? Here you have the same rules for everyone. this action is a provocation, can not play fair with us, and we have waited for meanness, but this is not within any framework goes.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All people active in sports claim the same: we don't do and don't want doping.
Huge lists are going around with stuff that is supposed to enhance the performance.
For many olympians (and other sport events) there is also only 1 goal: a gold medal
I guess it's proven that it is too tempting for some, or even many (I don't know) to
use medication without any disease, or straight doping.
Long ago it was road cycling (with very large scale doping), although I think Chris Vroome got punished last year for a double dose of asthma medication, this year it's the Sochi fallout that gets all the news.
For me; although I have nothing with curling as such, also in curling doping might improve the results; same problem, same solution. All athletes know that some doping stays long in your body.
I feel sorry for the team members of an athlete that got caugth, in case they didn't know their friend was cheating.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I in no way try to justify anyone, but logically I think that people should have three heads to risk so. I would have understood everything, but not this, why he should risk the reputation of the country, and from one time I think that this drug will not work. It's not an elixir, like Asterix.

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the world of sports that is routine

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So against my better judgement, I did some reading on the actual case. This article is pretty helpful if anyone is interested: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-21/alexander-krushelnitsky-curling-why-would-curler-dop/9470276

Some basic facts:

- The athlete who failed the test, Alexander Krushelnitsky, was part of the bronze medal winning team in the mixed curling event

- The drug he tested positive for was meldonium, the same drug that famously got Maria Sharapova a 15-month ban from professional tennis in 2016

- Meldonium "could have a positive effect on an athlete's stamina and concentration". Increased stamina and (especially) concentration would certainly be helpful in curling. And even if it didn't help his performance, it's still a drug on the banned substance list.

So with those facts in mind...

as it became known, it was a one-time reception two weeks before the Olympics, and you want to say that he deliberately took doping in the Olympic Games? Here you have the same rules for everyone. this action is a provocation, can not play fair with us, and we have waited for meanness, but this is not within any framework goes.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Which one of the following are you suggesting?

1. Are you claiming the athlete didn't take the drug, and the IOC/WADA faked his test results? Or...

2. Are you just claiming he was unfairly targeted for testing? Or...

3. Are you buying into the possible "somebody spiked my drink" defense?

If it's the first one, that's a very serious allegation. I'd be very surprised if it's true though, given they've allowed other Russian athletes who have passed their tests to compete.

You simply cannot claim or complain about the second one. The guy won a medal. All medal winners get tested. They even have their samples saved so they can be tested again down the track when detection technologies improve - plenty of athletes have been stripped of medals years after they won them because of this.

So this wasn't some unfair targeting of random drug testing - and even if it were, it's still the athlete's responsibility to pass those tests by not having drugs in their system. They know the rules, they know it's possible that they're going to be randomly tested, and that they're definitely going to be tested if they win a medal. So if they fail a test they've really got nobody to blame but themselves.

And if it's the third one, the drink spiking defense, they'll need to provide some pretty compelling evidence to prove it. It's possible, but the IOC and WADA have a long history of holding athletes accountable for what goes into their bodies. Otherwise everybody would claim drink spiking.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he perfectly understood that all the Russian athletes under observation, today I read his statement and fully support him, that there is nothing to prove to anyone and who will not believe us, I expected about such answers from the public, but what concerns me and what I here I do, then I just wanted to understand and, if possible, explain to people that you should not believe the TV and we are a friendly Russian people and how the whole world represents this action of anti-Russian propaganda in which not small money is invested.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm a friendly Canadian. That doesn't change the fact that Ben Johnson (most famously) and many other Canadian athletes have failed drug tests and lost their medals.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just say no,,,,:ciao:

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just wanted to understand and, if possible, explain to people that you should not believe the TV and we are a friendly Russian people and how the whole world represents this action of anti-Russian propaganda in which not small money is invested.

So what are you saying is the explanation for this? That the IOC faked his test result, that he was "unfairly" targeted for testing, or the "drink was spiked" claim?

The guy failed a drug test. That's not propaganda, that's just simple fact.

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
can anyone tell me what kind of doping, which helps in Curling. and what effect it can make on these athletes. can be as loud or clear to stick out from the ass. no, he can probably help faster to move a MOP across the ice and knock out all the enemy stones. the whole world is watching a man pee or not pee. it's all bullshit and a provocation. this is my personal position

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If I had to pick a sport that people were doping to win, I never would have thought of Curling...

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see how any type of doping could benefit a curler (is that what they're called?) Why on earth would anyone waste money even drug testing these curlers? Unless they were acting all crazy hitting people with their brooms or brushes or whatever those things are.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
can anyone tell me what kind of doping, which helps in Curling. and what effect it can make on these athletes. can be as loud or clear to stick out from the ass. no, he can probably help faster to move a MOP across the ice and knock out all the enemy stones. the whole world is watching a man pee or not pee. it's all bullshit and a provocation. this is my personal position

I don't see how any type of doping could benefit a curler (is that what they're called?) Why on earth would anyone waste money even drug testing these curlers? Unless they were acting all crazy hitting people with their brooms or brushes or whatever those things are.

*ahem* From just a couple of posts above these comments:

- The drug he tested positive for was meldonium, the same drug that famously got Maria Sharapova a 15-month ban from professional tennis in 2016

- Meldonium "could have a positive effect on an athlete's stamina and concentration". Increased stamina and (especially) concentration would certainly be helpful in curling.

People can throw shade on the sport and make all of the "LOL why would you even dope in curling" comments they like, the facts are this:

- Curling is an Olympic sport
- If you want to compete at the Olympics, and if you want to keep your medal and call yourself an Olympic champion should you be good enough to win, you have to make sure you don't have any banned substances in your system

This isn't some "deliberate provocation" of Russia. It wasn't even like he was singled out for additional testing because he's Russian - he was tested because he won a medal, which they do to everyone from every country that wins a medal. He wasn't stripped of his medal for being Russian. He was stripped of his medal for failing a drug test.

If this was a curling competition outside the Olympics and the governing body decided they didn't really want to test for drugs then fine, that'd be their choice. It's the same choice that pretty much all the major American sports leagues make. But if you want to play at the Olympics and try to win an Olympic medal, you have to play by Olympic rules. That means no drugs, regardless of the sport.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
we will remain in our opinion. I will say that only time will put everything in its place. I will allow myself one statement if the athlete who played at many tournaments, all samples are negative before the Olympics, including here in a wonderful way - a positive test, and, as you say, this drug raises concentration and attention, but not for a single reception. Think about it. I see no reason to continue to discuss further, your position is clear to me.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
*ahem* From just a couple of posts above these comments:

People can throw shade on the sport and make all of the "LOL why would you even dope in curling" comments they like, the facts are this:

- Curling is an Olympic sport
- If you want to compete at the Olympics, and if you want to keep your medal and call yourself an Olympic champion should you be good enough to win, you have to make sure you don't have any banned substances in your system

This isn't some "deliberate provocation" of Russia. It wasn't even like he was singled out for additional testing because he's Russian - he was tested because he won a medal, which they do to everyone from every country that wins a medal. He wasn't stripped of his medal for being Russian. He was stripped of his medal for failing a drug test.

If this was a curling competition outside the Olympics and the governing body decided they didn't really want to test for drugs then fine, that'd be their choice. It's the same choice that pretty much all the major American sports leagues make. But if you want to play at the Olympics and try to win an Olympic medal, you have to play by Olympic rules. That means no drugs, regardless of the sport.

The above seems to cover it.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they know they're going to be tested, they shouldn't take the drug...unless they were trying to mask it and were trying to get away with it.

taurusix

taurusix

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's getting ridiculous ffs...How much silly one can be to take meldonium just before or during Olympics with all that Russian doping background?! Come on, in Curling [emoji23][emoji23]
Even though both A and B tests were positive, that looks pretty much like a setup.