AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
I debated whether to open the topic in the sports selection or community hangout...

Have you ever trained in martial arts, which ones?

If not, which ones "catch your eye"... :)

I've been in that world for about 25 years, I stopped a few years ago - I started as a karate super star and ended up in Thai boxing... ;)

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I never took the plunge. I kinda hope I did, but now it seems "too late".
Now that I've turned fifty I'm too concerned about some ghastly injury that could happen when some 20 year old adrenaline pumped training partner can't keep it together. But if I ever change my mind it will be Krav Maga.

I see the appeal though...

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I did Karate briefly when I was younger. There are many diiciplines that I'd like to learn but I guess the main are brazillian Jiu Jitsu and muay thai

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
My brother is 4th dan black belt Karate.

I never needed any of that formal training, I was brought up on the streets. As James Brown said, 'I don't know Karate, but I know Karayzee!'.

Always had a peaceful philosophy but being the eldest have protected my loved ones when needed. Better to be a thinker and a talker than a fighter.

And here's conflict of philosophy, hippy at heart but I do like watching a good boxing match now and again. Naoya Inoue is my boy. He fought 8 rounds with one hand because the other was covering and protecting a broken eye socket.

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I debated whether to open the topic in the sports selection or community hangout...

I've been in that world for about 25 years, I stopped a few years ago - I started as a karate super star and ended up in Thai boxing... ;)
I've never been involved in martial arts, although I've always wanted to. I think if I were to choose a martial art for myself, I would probably choose aikido.

Gritz18

Gritz18

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When I was younger, I was a Capoeirista, an Afro-Brazilian cultural representation that combines sports, fighting, dance, popular culture, music and games. It is characterized by agile and complex movements, in which the feet, hands and gymnastic-acrobatic elements are used.

But what I liked most was singing capoeira songs and playing the Berimbal (the main instrument in capoeira, drawing below) in the capoeira circles; it was a lot of fun.

mini-berimbau-de-enfeite-trofeu-capoeira.jpg

millya5

millya5

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
As a child I went to the boxing section . After getting hit in the ear a couple of times I quit this activity..
I admire people who master martial arts .

Mortis

Mortis

Nutty Evil Squirrel
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I took Tae Kwon Do and Judo when I was younger as a kid and into my teens. Also 2 months of Karate, but I don't count that lol. And I wrestled in middle school and high school.

In my 20s, I got into BJJ and competed in MMA as an amateur back in 2007-2008. I went 2-2 before I called it quits in competition. Surprisingly, you can still find the record of my 1st fight on Sherdog. It says I'm 0-1. Another site says I'm 0-2, and unfortunately, neither include my last 2 fights that I actually won lol.

In my 30s, I became a pro wrestler and did that until recently. I'm just too busted and broken to do that now.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips

25 years? So you do have "practiced" these martial arts on someone (several times) right ... :unsure:

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I did a few classes when I was younger, but was too lazy to continue. A kickboxing club opened up in my village when my sons were 6 and 9. They both took to it well, within a year my eldest son was in the adults class as Andy his instructor said he hits like a man. They both progressed to black belt and both entered many competitions, both were multiple time regional champions, Scott my eldest is a multi time national champion, Kyle was a national champion once but had multiple Silvers, the way the categories were was to Kyle's disadvantage as they were by weight and age groups with a gap of two years, so with his birthday being in December he might have been fighting someone almost 3 years older even though they qualified for that category by having a birthday in January, I know what I mean lol

They both qualified for a world championships, with Scott getting Bronze and Kyle getting Silver, they never went to the worlds again as it was all about money making, us as parents even though we had paid for the package to go over with them also had to pay to spectate. They were great but gruelling days which stopped when they started work and found beer and women lol

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

I didn't do sports, in fact, never. I played a lot of football as a kid, but I never did martial arts. I've always liked boxing, but since I'm very lazy, I chose the easy way out. I can say that I am a champion of relaxation.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips

I did some Judo when I was a teenager, 3 years, blue belt, but I never really liked it that much.
What I liked better is Tai-Chi, if you can consider it a martial art. I took it regularly for 4 years, never felt better. But I had to move to a different state for some family reasons and couldn't find a teacher anywhere. Tried practicing by myself, but gradually lost interest due to my new lifestyle and ultimately forgot the moves (Solo Form).

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
I did a few classes when I was younger, but was too lazy to continue. A kickboxing club opened up in my village when my sons were 6 and 9. They both took to it well, within a year my eldest son was in the adults class as Andy his instructor said he hits like a man. They both progressed to black belt and both entered many competitions, both were multiple time regional champions, Scott my eldest is a multi time national champion, Kyle was a national champion once but had multiple Silvers, the way the categories were was to Kyle's disadvantage as they were by weight and age groups with a gap of two years, so with his birthday being in December he might have been fighting someone almost 3 years older even though they qualified for that category by having a birthday in January, I know what I mean lol

They both qualified for a world championships, with Scott getting Bronze and Kyle getting Silver, they never went to the worlds again as it was all about money making, us as parents even though we had paid for the package to go over with them also had to pay to spectate. They were great but gruelling days which stopped when they started work and found beer and women lol
Oh, both of your sons were super good! 🙂❤
Here is the same, yep, it's all about money making for the clubs - parents paying everything, kids god medals and that's it.
It's different story if some of them are in top and they get contracts with 2 best clubs in Belgrade...

+ everything stops with beer and women! 😄

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
I did some Judo when I was a teenager, 3 years, blue belt, but I never really liked it that much.
What I liked better is Tai-Chi, if you can consider it a martial art. I took it regularly for 4 years, never felt better. But I had to move to a different state for some family reasons and couldn't find a teacher anywhere. Tried practicing by myself, but gradually lost interest due to my new lifestyle and ultimately forgot the moves (Solo Form).
Tai chi chuan is form of kung fu (form that teach individuals to relax, moving body in slow motion + breathing correctly is great way to energy circle in whole body), masters in tai chi are on different level - even instructors, I can bet that all of them knows kung fu on some top level... 🙂

S

stank12345

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I took judo got to yellow belt to karate and got to brown belt when I was younger now at 76 years old my Martial arts are watching only I wish i had the chance to do bjj probably the best system now

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
I took judo got to yellow belt to karate and got to brown belt when I was younger now at 76 years old my Martial arts are watching only I wish i had the chance to do bjj probably the best system now
BJJ is best defense system on the ground 100%! 🙂
Where are you from?

In Serbia, we didn't have karate classes until '63 in Belgrade (judo came first), but karate "come" to my town Sombor '68... 🙂

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Betting against Trump
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Do PKO's count?

Silversurfer99

Silversurfer99

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Wing Tsun, Ninjutsu, Tai Chi and Kickboxing...nothing helped
:(

Silversurfer99

Silversurfer99

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Nothing helped? Explain...🙂
Well, it`s all great ways to stay fit (I forgot Kung Fu, i did as well)..but then when i actually got into a (real) fight (not training)..the pig just jumped on me , weighing at 140 kg (him)..when there was no space to step aside or escape..so what would have really helped me in that situation was judo, JiuJitsu or MMA or any of that close combat stuff, which i never did unfortunately..

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are a martial arts lover, I offer you to get to know a genuinely Brazilian martial art, Capoeira, a martial art that at the beginning of the 17th century was prohibited in brazil.
Campoeira was entered by slave immigrants, who came from Africa to Brazil, with these immigrants came the religion of Candomblé - worship of the orixás.
So Campoeira is part of Candomblé.
The most famous peasant in this story is Manuel Henrique Pereira, known as Besouro Mangagá, there is even a film about Besouro Mangagá.
Beetle could not be killed with a firearm, as his body was closed by the orixá ogun, in addition he was capable of flying and disappearing, according to the reports of the people of the time, this myth told about him disappearing and flying, is surrounded by mysteries.
You can see the film on YouTube, "Besouro Mangagá".

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In my youth I studied Sanda Wushu at an amateur level, my youngest daughter received a brown belt in Thai boxing at 17 and recently a red belt in karate, but she works as a doctor.