Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters
A

Ando37

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As the title says, is Mourinho over rated as a manager or is he truly the great one?

F

freddy the monster65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think joe montana is over rated tom brady is more over rated then joe

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
josé Mourinho is a good coach. if it was not so, he would not have worked as a coach in the top teams, winning trophies.

Aristodemus_

Aristodemus_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think his record speaks for itself, he may be struggling a little with united now but he is one of the best managers in the world.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a Man City fan to lend some perspective on Jose.

He is a brilliant coach but he is also a bad loser and a whinging cry baby and is never ever satisfied even when he wins - some would say thats the trademark of a winner but if you cannot love the game or your team - it shows.
Look at how miserable Man Utd have become since he joined - he has also been let down by the Glazer family and Ed Woodward as he clearly knows what players he needs..
I would never back against Jose - but hes no Guardiola...

I need United to be good this season - its getting comical over at Old Trafford and Jose could well be sacked if he does not deliver a trophy this season..

AR AR AR AR

Last edited:
A

Ando37

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I posted this thread to generate a discussion and then found out that I could not post again due to reaching 10 posts in my first day on the forum. So apologies that I couldn’t follow up my initial question with what I wanted to!

So the reason I ask this, is that I believe he is over rated and has been for a long time. He achieved great success with Porto in the early 2000s, winning both the Uefa cup and then the Champions League. Since then he has been highly sought after manager, but if we look into his record after Porto, is he actually a good manager?

A

Ando37

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chelsea
In the season proceeding his arrival at Chelsea, Claudio Ranieri was the boss of Chelsea. Chelsea had been around the 5th-6th position in the league before gradually improving year after year to reach 2nd in the league in the 2003/04 season. This also happened to be the first year that Abramovich was on the scene and Ranieri spent a total of £150m on new players, including Crespo, Makelele, and Juan Veron.

Mourinho had just won the Champions League with Porto, so as is Abramovich’s way, he recruited him to lead his revolution. Mourinho spent £146m in his first season and secured the Premiership title. He had a squad which had cost in the region of £300m to assemble over 2 seasons. In the UCL he managed to get them to the Semi Final, where Liverpool put them out over 2 legs.

At the start of his 2nd season in London, he spent another £80m on players. He once again one the league. However in Europe he only managed to get Chelsea to the last 16, being knocked out by Barcelona.

3rd season at Chelsea, he spent another £80m on new additions to his squad. He only managed to finish 2nd in the league this time however. In the Champions league he once again got them to the semi final, only to be put out by Liverpool, again! Into his 4th season he only spent around £20m but was released after only 5 games.
Inter Milan
After nearly a year out of the game, Jose returned with Inter Milan. He was there for 2 seasons, won Seria A in both seasons and won the Champions League with a far cheaper team than he had at Chelsea. He did spend 150m Euro to get the Champions League with Inter, but compared to what he spent at Chelsea this could be considered a successful period in his career.

Real Madrid
After his heroic defensive masterclass with Inter Milan he moved to Real Madrid, arguably the biggest club in the world. Over 3 seasons in Madrid, he spent 180m Euros on players. He came 2nd in the league in his 1st and 3rd seasons. He won La Liga in his second year. He made the Semi Finals of the UCL in all 3 of his seasons with Real Madrid, never making it to the final.

Chelsea pt.2
He returned to Chelsea after leaving Madrid and spent a further 2 and a half seasons with the club. In this time he spent an eye watering £350 million! For this return he gave them a 3rd place return, another league title and left them at Christmas sitting in 16th after losing NINE of 16 games. In the Champions league he once again made the semi finals in his first year, last 16 in his 2nd year and he left before the knockout stages in 15/16. 350 MILLION for 1 league title and a semi final appearance of the champions league.

Man Utd
As Man Utd’s manager since 2016, Jose has spent, 400m! For this return they have a 6th placed finish and last seasons 2nd. So far in 2018 they have already been beaten by Brighton. I have watched a lot of this Man Utd side and for the money they have spent I must say they are one of the most boring club sides to watch in the English Premiership. He did win the Europa League last season, but I am not sure that is comparable to him winning it back in the day with Porto.

Summary
Thank you if you have stayed around to listen to my ramblings on Mourinho, here I will summarise my thoughts and list a few questions that you could consider before answering.

He has spent an unbelievable – 1.5 BILLION Euros on players.
For someone to be considered a great coach, would they need to spend this amount of money?
Has he been value for money to the clubs that have backed him financially?
His UCL win with Porto was a great achievement, as was his defensive masterclass with Inter Milan to win it again.
But to have never made it to the final with Madrid or Chelsea, despite numerous chances and vast amounts of money spent.
Why does he only last 3 seasons at any club?
Why do his results dip the longer he is at a club?
Has he developed any players or does he just throw money at problems?
Is this a good coach or someone playing Football Manager with the cheat codes on?

His career is varied, he has some level of success at every club he has been at, but why cant I shake the feeling that we have over rated him since his Porto days?

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
excellent post Ando

Chelsea
In the season proceeding his arrival at Chelsea, Claudio Ranieri was the boss of Chelsea. Chelsea had been around the 5th-6th position in the league before gradually improving year after year to reach 2nd in the league in the 2003/04 season. This also happened to be the first year that Abramovich was on the scene and Ranieri spent a total of £150m on new players, including Crespo, Makelele, and Juan Veron.

Mourinho had just won the Champions League with Porto, so as is Abramovich’s way, he recruited him to lead his revolution. Mourinho spent £146m in his first season and secured the Premiership title. He had a squad which had cost in the region of £300m to assemble over 2 seasons. In the UCL he managed to get them to the Semi Final, where Liverpool put them out over 2 legs.

At the start of his 2nd season in London, he spent another £80m on players. He once again one the league. However in Europe he only managed to get Chelsea to the last 16, being knocked out by Barcelona.

3rd season at Chelsea, he spent another £80m on new additions to his squad. He only managed to finish 2nd in the league this time however. In the Champions league he once again got them to the semi final, only to be put out by Liverpool, again! Into his 4th season he only spent around £20m but was released after only 5 games.

Inter Milan
After nearly a year out of the game, Jose returned with Inter Milan. He was there for 2 seasons, won Seria A in both seasons and won the Champions League with a far cheaper team than he had at Chelsea. He did spend 150m Euro to get the Champions League with Inter, but compared to what he spent at Chelsea this could be considered a successful period in his career.

Real Madrid
After his heroic defensive masterclass with Inter Milan he moved to Real Madrid, arguably the biggest club in the world. Over 3 seasons in Madrid, he spent 180m Euros on players. He came 2nd in the league in his 1st and 3rd seasons. He won La Liga in his second year. He made the Semi Finals of the UCL in all 3 of his seasons with Real Madrid, never making it to the final.

Chelsea pt.2
He returned to Chelsea after leaving Madrid and spent a further 2 and a half seasons with the club. In this time he spent an eye watering £350 million! For this return he gave them a 3rd place return, another league title and left them at Christmas sitting in 16th after losing NINE of 16 games. In the Champions league he once again made the semi finals in his first year, last 16 in his 2nd year and he left before the knockout stages in 15/16. 350 MILLION for 1 league title and a semi final appearance of the champions league.

Man Utd
As Man Utd’s manager since 2016, Jose has spent, 400m! For this return they have a 6th placed finish and last seasons 2nd. So far in 2018 they have already been beaten by Brighton. I have watched a lot of this Man Utd side and for the money they have spent I must say they are one of the most boring club sides to watch in the English Premiership. He did win the Europa League last season, but I am not sure that is comparable to him winning it back in the day with Porto.

Summary
Thank you if you have stayed around to listen to my ramblings on Mourinho, here I will summarise my thoughts and list a few questions that you could consider before answering.

He has spent an unbelievable – 1.5 BILLION Euros on players.
For someone to be considered a great coach, would they need to spend this amount of money?
Has he been value for money to the clubs that have backed him financially?
His UCL win with Porto was a great achievement, as was his defensive masterclass with Inter Milan to win it again.
But to have never made it to the final with Madrid or Chelsea, despite numerous chances and vast amounts of money spent.
Why does he only last 3 seasons at any club?
Why do his results dip the longer he is at a club?
Has he developed any players or does he just throw money at problems?
Is this a good coach or someone playing Football Manager with the cheat codes on?

His career is varied, he has some level of success at every club he has been at, but why cant I shake the feeling that we have over rated him since his Porto days?

This is fact and a superb summary of MOANrinho..well done Ando

Everbane

Everbane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a fan of Chelsea and I think Jose Mourinho is a very good coach! And I think he will stay in MU!

jus7_play3r

jus7_play3r

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great tactician without sameniya, but he needs more to concentrate vahu job, the team and the game! Proven is though, but sometimes things do not match as you judge them, but I think there is more credits!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think it's right to be admitted , Mourinho is overestimated . He is a good coach for me and he has won titles , but he is not the Special One , everything else is part of his show that has nothing to do with the coaching job .

A

Ando37

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A 3-0 home defeat to Spurs? When would you ever see that of a Man Utd team?

He is outdated and hasn't moved with the times. Man Utd need to cut him asap.

Why is his 3rd season always so poor with clubs?

ff48

ff48

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m not a fan of Mourinho, but let’s be fair it’s not his fault completely, the players are spineless and need to grow a pair.

A

Ando37

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The players who he bought? Who he spent a fortune on?

Just funny that its now into his 3rd season and things are turning again as they usually do. For a top class manager you would think he would manage to stay longer than 3 seasons and build something.

Just trying to create a discussion on it, I know not everyone feels the same way about him as I do.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over rated for sure. His teams are too defensive and predictables. His bad mood also is horrible for the team and union of the players.
His a medium coach but I don t know why get payed as a top coach. Lucky guy for sure. His Manager or Lawyer is probably high class.
Cheers,
M.D.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think he is just a good one, but not the best one. With the best teams he could achieve a lot of things but now with a weaker one he just struggles.

S

Salavat Kozhakhmetov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that Mourinho did not deserve such an attitude,he is a great coach and I think he will correct this situation as soon as possible, and I think that all the same will remain for this season!

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Imo Mourinho never didn't exist, he is only in yours minds!

ff48

ff48

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mourinho down Real and left them in a mess, noone says anything about that? Failed at the biggest club in the world, then went to Chelsea and left them in 16th after falling out with every player.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
They're all good coaches. The difference is the locker room. Players run the teams now and the coach needs their support. Jose still wants to be the boss and he loses his players after a couple of seasons. He's acting like he wants to be fired.

K

klada152

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mourinho is underrated but this united team is overrated.

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ofcourse he is overrated, real had the worst years with him, chelsea too and now manchester united have no money whatsoever and trophies whatsoever. Now they may have one of the worst years (except the europa league, but no one gives a damn about that trophy).

vokrugdookola

vokrugdookola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jose is good coach but very complex