Golf Club advice needed.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I am already going to visit my coach for some training sessions, mayber 2 or 3.

roland cote

roland cote

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One last comment Marginal. I remember a story about a pro that asked his coach to help hime with his putting. His coach said 'OK, just bring your 7 iron!' I guess the lesson here is if you can be more accurate with you mid and short range irons, you have less need of all those expensive wedges.

Y&ou take care now bud. And I hope you found the set you need.

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suck at golf. But I like PBR like Marginal does lol. I think I can drive the ball 150 yards or so. Only tried a cpl swings with my kids a cpl times.

Disclaimer. I love watching golf Iam just not good at it. No advice as to all the degree shit and drivers, wedges, blah blah blah. Iam lost. lol

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've also started pitching from below the hole and 20 to 4o feet out with my seven iron a lot. Use the same stroke as when putting, almost same results. Same distance feel.
I do this a ton too. I find that I'm far more acurate using my seven iron to run it up to the hole. I started doing it last year and it's taken a few strokes off my game.

I've been using Ben Hogan irons the last two years. Steel shafts and I hit them pretty well. I'm not a good golfer by any means but these irons have helped improve my game tremendously.

New Adams driver for me this year. Been hitting it about 250 on average. I am a small dude so I don't generate much power. I'm more happy with accuracy then distance.

I only carry two wedges. My E wedege and a 56 degree nike. New AMF weighted putter for me this year as well. Been putting pretty well with it so far.

Best of luck with finding your new clubs Marginal. Perhaps we're gonna have to put together an annual CC golf tournament.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say this with the purpose of being as cocky as possible, but no one will beat me in a cc golf tournament.

I am a bagger.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
set it up at ur place then :) cc golf and poker tourney :)
two sayings I like ........ it's not how far it's how many :) and putting is half your score :)

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh I also have 4 rounds planned for the next 4 days. Weeeee

roland cote

roland cote

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you get the clubs you wanted? How are you liking them? Did you take a lesson yet?
Played in an outing with my brother Friday. Long course, 6428 from the whites. Shot a ooops, 93. Coulda done bewtter but lost three balls and couse was rough because they had a huge storm go through and there were trees and branches and annoying twigs every where. Still felt pretty good about it tthough. Was in the top 15 percent of 72 golfers. Low score was 83.

It was the first time my brother had been golfing in 11 years and he shot a 111. It was just great being able to golf with him again though. He had a p[articularlly rough time. He's 58 and has had 2 knee surgeries. Looked like he was hurting a lot sometimes. But he had fun too and that is what was important to me.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am actually only getting the Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and a 52 and 46 degree.

I like the idea of the Vokey series, I heard a lot of good things about them so definitely the main one on my list.

Btw, I am in Miami for a day and that is only for golf clubs, nothing else.

Hey whats your handicap? Sound like you know golf :_). I myself am an iron person, NEVER HIT A HYBIRD, NEVER PLAN ON IT. Btw, 15 degree is a lot for a 3 wood, I usually play just 12 to 13, so I guess that is closer to a 2 wood?

Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make proud.
It's not about how, it about how many.

H

hayden1009

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My Brother is a Teaching Pro and a Registered Ping Club Fitter but he put me in Taylor Made last year. If you find a good range with a great fitter he will watch your swing, analyze it and put you in the best club for you rather then just the most expensive well known name out there.

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you find a good range with a great fitter he will watch your swing, analyze it and put you in the best club for you rather then just the most expensive well known name out there.

Best advice the the whole thread, my boy took advice from a fitter watching his swing, he shortened his shafts by a 1/4 inch. Completely different ball game. A total tool could buy the most expesive set of clubs there is, but still play like a tool. I speak from experience, lol. Couldn't knock the skin of a rice pudding.

H

hayden1009

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best advice the the whole thread, my boy took advice from a fitter watching his swing, he shortened his shafts by a 1/4 inch. Completely different ball game. A total tool could buy the most expesive set of clubs there is, but still play like a tool. I speak from experience, lol. Couldn't knock the skin of a rice pudding.

My Brother as an outfitter, said the problem is too much literature and they watch the what the Pros use and assume its the club rather then the swing. So when he has someone come in who wants no advice and wants to spend the money. He says the first year we will sell you what you want and next you we will sell you what you needed.;)

Larry Robbins

Larry Robbins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learning to Play Golf

Since retirement - I am learning to play golf and also poker!! Both are great fun. The Golf channel is a great way to learn - they give you advice on how to play.

Also watching tournaments and the accomplished players can give you the way to play.

I have the score down to 100 strokes - best is 86,

I know the pro's on TV make it look easy - but they have a lot of help on manicured courses.

Sippy :)

Hoping to improve at POKER and GOLF!!

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to learn how to curse, and the correct angle to throw your club for maximum distance and effect.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

I love both games and have been playing them both for years. They can be very similar in the ups and downs. Good luck and have fun with both of them.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Much easier to manage your time with poker, but have to say I did enjoy golf. Luck with both sir.
The big difference is a good computer can be used for other things beside poker, golf gets to time consuming, frustrating or boring, what ya gonna do with them ther custom made sticks.
By the way, just like in poker, the pro's work damn hard to make it look easy & frequently don't succeed.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To be fair, unlike poker, but like fishing, golf is enhanced by cold beer.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
My advice to the OP is to get some lessons, learning rom the TV will never do you any good, get a basics course under your belt and I promise you will see improvements, a pro can see you taking your swing and correct any problems that you may with it, the subtlest of things will help you to improve.

:top:
To be fair, unlike poker, but like fishing, golf is enhanced by cold beer.

Truer words were never spoken, I like a beer with the occasional game of whack fck.

:bebored:

Last edited:
P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm with you , I love both games . Not retired yet , but soon . Hope I then have the time for golf . Check out Square Golf , good videos and lessons for the average player . Congrats on the retirement .

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Golf is a sport that you have to have a lot of precision and technique.