Golf Club advice needed.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sup Bros,

I need some advice for some golf clubs. I will be buying them on the 25th of June when I am in Miami before I go Bahamas. I just got a set of irons in December (Callaway x-22 tours, stiff shaft running from 3 iron to pitching wedge).

My woods and wedges are really out of date. and as such I need to get some ideas of what I need. I am looking for a Driver, 3 and 5 wood as well as 56 and 52 degree wedges.

A little bit about my game, I am a single digit handicap. Driver within the range of 260 to 290 on average. I hit the ball better than I putt and hit a lot of greens in regs and always around and about the greens with a chance. The reason I say this is because I hit the ball well so I do not need clubs that have a ton of forgiveness. Do not want forged but I do not need sucker clubs is what I am saying.

Currently play with an 8 degree driver but can pretty much hit anything over 7 degrees. So looking within that range of 7 to 8 degree. It does not have to be any kind of new state of the art club, anything like an R9 even though that has been superseded, would be fine. Obviously stiff shaft and the 5 and 3 woods would be of the same model.

Wedges, looking for anything that will give me decent spin, I am pretty handy with my current wedges and have a lower trajectory so need something that is going to give me a softer feel.

Any one can help with advice. Currently looking at either Taylormades or Tiltleist woods but have no idea about the wedges.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh and I am pretty much going to end the year at 4 to 6 handicap range. Hopefully lower but I am taking some coaching on my putting right now and if/when that gets sorted out, I do not see myself being any higher than a 6.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

Bubble Punter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sup broseph,

I play Taylormade myself and I love them. I play Tour Burner irons (3-Approach wedge), with a 15 deg Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood, 9 deg R9 Driver and a Titelist Vokey 48 deg wedge with very little bounce on the sole (can't remember the degrees of bounce), so I can lay the face open and have a lot of short game options.

Anyways, since I am partial to Taylormade, I'd suggest the new Tour Preffered cavity back irons 3-pw, with R11 driver in an 8 and a 15 deg 3-wood. The irons are forged, but with the cavity back they play very friendly. I demo'd a set not too long ago and they are on my upgrade list for next year (I play a 14 handicap). As for wedges, I've always liked the titelist Vokey series. Great playability, variety of lie, loft and bounce angles, and iirc virtually every degree of loft from 48-62 degrees.

I play a 3 iron, but if you like hybrids instead of long irons, I really like the Rescue 11 TP. Not as forgiving as many other rescue hybrids, but they hit very sweet if you have a steady swing.

But like I said, I'm a bit biased towards Taylormade. A friend of mine plays Titelist AP2 irons and I like them as well. A fair bit more work-ability than the TB's I'm currently playing and about on par with the TP's albeit without the forged feel.

I think it's time for you to go to a GolfTown or something similar and spend an afternoon on the launch monitor and demo a few sets. That would be the best idea, especially if you're spending the money on a full set.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am actually only getting the Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and a 52 and 46 degree.

I like the idea of the Vokey series, I heard a lot of good things about them so definitely the main one on my list.

Btw, I am in Miami for a day and that is only for golf clubs, nothing else.

Hey whats your handicap? Sound like you know golf :_). I myself am an iron person, never hit a hybrid, never plan on it. Btw, 15 degree is a lot for a 3 wood, I usually play just 12 to 13, so I guess that is closer to a 2 wood?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right now, my eyes are set on the black nickel vokeys and R9 for the woods and driver. Yes they are outdated but they seem to be best for my cheap self.

R11 is too expensive right now and I fair that the white will get dirty fast.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh and the Titleist 910D2 driver looks amazing as well as the 910F fairway woods.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

Bubble Punter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yeah, the R11 is still pretty expensive. I got the R9 last year and like it a lot. My 3-wood is a bit lofted, but it fills the gap between my driver and 3 iron pretty nicely. I can just close the face and play the ball a bit farther back if I want a more penetrating flight out of it. As it stands it's pretty versatile. The courses up here are not groomed the best so some loft is good out of 5-8" rough if I miss the narrow fairway off the tee.

I'm currently a 14, but I was as low as a 9 before i screwed up my left knee last spring. I know a bit about the game and equipment. I play pretty often. We got a tough little 9 hole muni here in town and I'm there 3 or 4 times a week. I actually did 36 holes yesterday and another 18 today. Got really drunk though so my scores weren't that great. But I had a hell of a good time.

I like the black nickel Vokeys too. If they had them at the shop when I bought mine I'd have one. Instead I got the brushed nickel. If you can, get the spin milled face. I didn't, but if you like the one-hop-stop on your approach shots, they're the way to go.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I already play for the one hope stop with my wedges (laughably) but it is definitely something for me to look for with my kind of trajectory and ball flight. Also, most drivers I see happen to be like 9, 9.5 degree and that seems like laughably high to me.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They play great too, but are hella expensive.

Yea, but being the guy I am, If I get 5 years out of them, 400 for the driver and 250 for the 15 degree, that would be 130 a year which is pretty decent tbh.

Mind you, after these purchases, I am pretty much done with the exception of buy balls every now and again. I am completely happy with everything else in my bag but just need that extra step and distance in a few areas. Like I play with a 7 and 5 wood right now, and there is such a huge game right now with a lot of my longer shots on par 5s that I absolutely need to drop the 7 and get a 3 wood.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh yea, I also have an idea to just flat out drop my 5 wood as well and pick up a 60 degree. Thoughts? I am pretty sure with a 15 degree 3 wood, It would be unnecessary.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

Bubble Punter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Majority of consumers want higher ball flight like the pro's but don't want to swing properly. Voila, higher lofter drivers. I remember reading recently in Golf Digest that most teaching professionals recommend 12-15 degrees of loft for beginner, women, senior, or casual weekend warrior players. So basically most of the market.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

Bubble Punter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Oh yea, I also have an idea to just flat out drop my 5 wood as well and pick up a 60 degree. Thoughts? I am pretty sure with a 15 degree 3 wood, It would be unnecessary.

I did this as well last season. With the higher 3-wood, the 5 wood was unnecessary. Plus I was hitting my 3 iron as long ans truer than it anyways. I put a 60 in the bag for a while, but at the moment I'm actually using 2 pitching wedges. The Vokey and the PW that came with the rest of my irons. The Vokey is 48, and the Burner is a 47 with a wider sole. I like having a few options from 140 and in. Though I do miss my 60 and it's spectacular flop shots... Might have to dust it off for Men's Night this week.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I need flops more often than you can imagine, some of the places I end up are spectacular.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you sure want alot of wedges for a guy hitting the ball well lol but ya I understand . I don't understand anyone not needing their 5 wood because they have a higher lofted 3 wood , do you guys hit it about same distance ? if so I would get rid of the 3 wood then lol . if your hitting ur driver 260-290 off the tee then what kind of distance are you having left to the hole ? that is the club you need the most . I would be picking my clubs by the distance I hit each one . alot of it is where you're playing and what kind of shots you need to make the most but if you get to play alot of different courses you need those fairway woods . give me a 3,5,7 woods and I don't even need a driver but I never hit as long as most anyway .
OK well don't pay much attention to me just wanted to get in on the golf talk lol , it's been a long time since I've played . also don't worry about how much the right club for you cost , worry about getting that back in winnings lol , your a gambler so make a little money on the course . I like to play poker and golf at same time , you get one card for par and two for birdie , best hand at 9th wins then new game on back nine .

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u need more wedges... thats the best way to improve your handicap...work on pitching and chipping...i use 4 wedges pw (48) gap(52) 58 and 64

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you sure want alot of wedges for a guy hitting the ball well lol but ya I understand . I don't understand anyone not needing their 5 wood because they have a higher lofted 3 wood , do you guys hit it about same distance ? if so I would get rid of the 3 wood then lol . if your hitting ur driver 260-290 off the tee then what kind of distance are you having left to the hole ? that is the club you need the most . I would be picking my clubs by the distance I hit each one . alot of it is where you're playing and what kind of shots you need to make the most but if you get to play alot of different courses you need those fairway woods . give me a 3,5,7 woods and I don't even need a driver but I never hit as long as most anyway .
OK well don't pay much attention to me just wanted to get in on the golf talk lol , it's been a long time since I've played . also don't worry about how much the right club for you cost , worry about getting that back in winnings lol , your a gambler so make a little money on the course . I like to play poker and golf at same time , you get one card for par and two for birdie , best hand at 9th wins then new game on back nine .

Well tbh, my home course is short and there a way more situations and the extra wedge would be more helpful around the green and of more use in those difficult situations. I have no beef with my distance at the moment but the 3 wood for me, would be more handy in terms of par 5s on 3 of the par 5s as well as off the tee on a few of the shorter dog legged holes. I do see my game as one that does not need the both at this time.

I am also looking at the Titleist 909d2 and f2 maybe even the cobra s91 series clubs.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

Bubble Punter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
u need more wedges... thats the best way to improve your handicap...work on pitching and chipping...i use 4 wedges password (48) gap(52) 58 and 64

64. Now that's a bit of excessive loft there.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol ya think, the kind of situations you need to be in to effectively use that club is so ridic. I mean, I am also never going to use that for 50 yard shots, just hitting a low bounce on stop sand wedge is much more accurate.

Oh and looking at irons. These x22 tours are so amazing and I only have them by coincidence. Some guy bought them and tried it out but he was something like a 15 handicap with an awkward swing so it just never worked out and after like 2 weeks of use he put it up for sale so basically new (ship). They feel really well and the movement I get with them is amazing, works when I am trying to hit baby cuts or big draws. Very nice clubs.

EDIT : Also the smaller look of the club is super sexy. From certain angles looks almost like a blade (hopefully hitting blades within the next 2 years tbh)

Last edited:
roland cote

roland cote

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey you two. I'm 63 and still crack it 250 to 280. 9 degree Taylor Made Burner driver, Callaway Diablo Tour 3 and Five woods. Adams Idea irons, 3 - PW and a Cobra King Snake Sand wedge. Lookiing to pick up a gap wedge and lob wedge in the next month or so. Shot an 82 at The Eagles Golf Course near Galena Tuesday. The Presidential Course. Haven't shot from the Blue tees in two years though.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Meh, I need to hit the ball longer then. I cant let this body in the peek of youth be met by a 63 year old :p. I definitely am not a long hitter but I am working on it. But at 63 hitting 280 you have to have one hell of an awesome swing.

roland cote

roland cote

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Greg Norman mirror sweing. Long sweep and driving through kneees first. A little wider stance (feet just barely outside shoulders) might help. If your a righty, left toe pointing out ever so slightly to help your hips come through. Gives you a longer swing and more time to excelerate. Just picked the swing up last year because I was dropping about 10 yards of my drive. Irons have never changed. Still about 150 7 iron and 200 2 iron. 5 iron has always been around 170, but so has my 4 iron, go figure on that one, lol.

I've also started pitching from below the hole and 20 to 4o feet out with my seven iron a lot. Use the same stroke as when putting, almost same results. Same distance feel.

Last edited:
M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My my. I need to get to 300 yard average drives then, I cannot let you show me up old man :D

roland cote

roland cote

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never hit 'em 300. But 280 290 in my 30's and 40's. That was 20 years ago when the balls and equipment weren't quite as good.

Your only 19 and will probably still grow some and put on some leaner muscel. Get a good instructor for a monthly lesson and ask him about some drills that will help you. If you pay for instructor instead of play9ing one more game you should see some marked improvement in just one season.

And old I may be, but my mind is still stuck on twenty, lol.