Do you consider E-Sport to be real sports?

roystone

roystone

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a lot of the naysayers are overlooking the physical aspect of playing e sports at the highest level. Its not the same as playing candy crush on your sofa. High levels of concentration are very draining physically and people who are physically fitter while be able to concentrate and perform at the top level for longer. Snooker/pool is a good example, neither of these sports seem like they require athletes to be very fit to play the sport but if you want to win tournaments fitter players who keep themselves healthy and have stamina will always do better in multi-game formats.

keontayB

keontayB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just can't call anything a sport where all you have to use are your eyes, thumbs, and index fingers. Most sports are played by athletes, there is nothing athletic involved in using just your thumbs and index fingers. Hell you move more of your body playing poker than you do playing video games, and the emotions, people get exited when they win at anything.

I hope you know this is not true, not at all.
They using their fingers yes. But do you think they just sit down and clicking like a 10yrs old?
They got a skill what they learned and trained for long hours every day. In a comp. match they have to use all their knowledge to win.

Its not only a hand sport.. without brain and thinking..

People dont know how much work are there behind this sport to became a pro player and win 100 thousands of dollars.

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope you know this is not true, not at all.
They using their fingers yes. But do you think they just sit down and clicking like a 10yrs old?
They got a skill what they learned and trained for long hours every day. In a comp. match they have to use all their knowledge to win.

Its not only a hand sport.. without brain and thinking..

People dont know how much work are there behind this sport to became a pro player and win 100 thousands of dollars.
This still doesn't make it a SPORT, you can say the same thing you just said about a job etc. which if you read the accumulation of my post you will know. Playing video games is not a sport. There is no athleticism involved in this, its a game that you can sit on your butt to play, are we going to start calling dungeons and dragons and monopoly sports? Video games are not a sports activity just like poker is not a sports activity.

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
not a real sports its video games you say its consider completion which is sports but come on

namvidnee

namvidnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course yes. I also sometimes like to watch CS competitions

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would consider E-sports to be a real sport. It requires different skill sets but still high level of competition.

nesser

nesser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not that old, and yet I still enjoy playing "Fifa" with my son or some friends. However, in my personal opinion, I find it boring, having to see someone else playing, unlike watching a real football (soccer) or baseball game, where definitely you can get excited.

noLatenzy

noLatenzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is a ''real sport'' that you say?
I think e-Sports are as it's called, e-Sports.

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
right now its not a real sport by any means but with that said, in the future when most things will be in the virtual world im sure it will qualify.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe there needs to be a human element to consider it sports therefore if it is a computer simulation there is nothing that comprises a sport. However if it is two or more people competing through a computer game this is the definition of E Sports.

The human element is why some consider poker a sport. Is it a physically grueling sport? Not at all. Neither is chess or golf for that matter. Sports are games with varying degrees of physical elements and they include games with a high level of mental challenges.

Im sorry but a virtual race is not a sport, it is a simulation. One day poker too may be completely solved and then it risks bots playing bots pretending to be humans and becoming a simulation.

Last edited:
T

tschuwon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From my perspective it is a sport. It is just amazing what these players are capable of on the highest competitive level. If you take starcraft for example have a look what they are capable of. The keyboard strokes alone are recordbreaking. And there is much more than that...

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning.They have the name but they aren´t..They are just games, to have fun.

beza23

beza23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think yes.This also takes a lot of time and effort.

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I consider them the same as chess or poker. While they are not physically challenging, they require training and strategy due to the sheer level of competition in them.
I also find them far more entertaining as a viewer than chess or poker.

T

tschuwon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You might end up laughing but players often times suffer major injuries. Usuallly it is the hand or wrist sometimes the back. Top-players have to train extremly hard like 12-16hrs a day is normal.

O

oscarhuka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not consider it to be a sport !! but I respect the opinion that they do consider it.

Something similar happens with poker and many do not consider it a sport!

The truth is that they are already considered in sports betting!

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars