Deflate Gate - Should the Patriots Be Disqualified?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Patriots used deflated footballs in their play-off game against the Colts. 11 of their 12 balls were found to be deflated.

What do you think should happen to them?

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well the hard part about this is "proving" that they did it knowingly, and then proving who was behind it.

I personally think if anything happens the equipment manager is going to be throw under the bus.

If they did do it intentionally which I clearly believe they did I don't think they should be allowed to play in the super bowl... Of course this is coming from a person who hates tha Patriots and would hate to see the Seahawks win the super bowl... So I want an other AFC team in there lol

The argument of "They played better when the balls were switched in the second half" is irrelevant if they deflated the balls beyond the allowed regulated PSI in "Attempts" to gain an edge. It's cheating

The other thing is I highly doubt the Patriots decided to wait till the AFC Championship game to pull this little trick out. In fact looking at their home record later in the season in cold conditioned games... Uh-oh... Pretty impressive...

Also The Colts and the NFL were made aware of the possibility of deflated balls well before the interception.. They were made aware of it from the Baltimore Ravens the week before when they lost to the Patriots..

Those balls were going to be examined at half time prior to the interception..

It also doesn't help any that the Patriots have been caught bending/breaking the rules before... "spygate"

But hey now we have the answer to Tom Bradys question to Gronkowski earlier in the season on "How the F** did you catch that" lol

They were throwing a nerf ball jkjkjk lol

Solution? postpone the superbowl a couple weeks and have the Colts and Ravens play for the superbowl

Never going to happen...

In fact the League wants the Patriots to go to the super bowl because the patriots are a bigger and better franchise and that equals more fans which equals more money.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Also to have a team who cheated go to the super bowl and potentially win it??? I think the NFL would be sending the wrong message/ "Hey it's okay to cheat as long as you win"

and of course this couldn't have come at a worse time for Roger Goodell... this guy is probably having the worst years of his life 2014/2015 him and the NFL are under a lot of scrutiny for women beating, children beating, and now cheating...

Not to mention it's the game before the super bowl the biggest game of the year

Danilo

Danilo

5am Club
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If proven intentional fault of the New England I think it should be disqualified and reschedule a new game between Indianapolis x Baltimore.

If not proven intentional fault should be rescheduled a new game between Indianapolis x New England.

But these hypotheses as has been said, are virtually impossible, because the dates of the final game SuperBowl, commitments to sponsors, TV transmission, is a lot involved, I do not think there will be some penalty against New England.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty much agree with both of you.

There is no way Tom Brady was not aware of it - but not sure how that could ever be proven.

The equipment manager would never do such a thing without being told.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there should be a penalty, many QBs have said they did the same thing. The balls were all legit in the 2nd half and the Pats scored more points.

This is pretty funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FAT_pRqo3w

watch

Last edited:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cheating is cheating - you don't get a pass if you rob a bank just because others have robbed banks too. ;)

When you get caught breaking rules you should suffer penalties. :)

T

tke001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends what the NFL can prove. There are cameras all over the stadium. If anything can be proven then the Pats need to be fined millions of dollars and lose multiple high draft picks and potential lengthy suspensions starting after the SB.
Someone suggested re-scheduling the game vs Indy. Are you kidding me? The Superbowl date/time has probably been set for a yr and changing the date is a logistics nightmare.

twiztidwolff

twiztidwolff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The issue is proving the balls were inflated properly pregame, an equipment manager from a few teams has said during the pregame inspection they almost never actually use an air gauge on the balls, if they submitted the balls at 11PSI and the refs didn't do the air gauge just squeezed them like they are saying is done 90% of the time, then it's not the Patriots fault the refs didn't catch it and air them up. The issue is every team has said we submit the balls how the QB likes them if the NFL changed the PSI than so be it. I can all but certainly say that this is what happens and probably what happened in this situation, being friends with a lot of folks that work at Gillette Stadium, there is almost 0% chance that someone wouldn't have been caught on video deflating the balls if that indeed did happen after a proper inspection was done, so we will find out for sure. Side note my step mother who works within the Green Bay Packers organization asked one of the equipment guys if they typically do submit the balls over inflated and they said yes, and they refs almost never adjust the balls prior to the game, the week they talked about it on the air was the first time the refs actually used the air gauge after complaints from Defensive players the week prior.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I def think Brady knew the footballs were like that.

In an interview I watched a few times, he seemed really nervous, hesitant & a bit shaky. Almost like he was hiding something & trying not to say too much.

A reporter asked him "Is Tom Brady a cheater?" He responded w/ first a little laugh & then he said "I don't believe so..."

I mean seriously, wouldn't you say something like "Absolutely not." Or, "No, I'm not". Or even "That's a stupid question, because I've never cheated".

Then he talks about his "process of preparing" (LOL) the footballs before the game in the locker room. Also, he says that he doesn't like or let anyone touch the footballs after he chooses the ones he wants to use for the game. That to me right there is def a possible sign that he does alter the game balls.

For those who haven't seen it, here's the interview>>>

G

goodhandluke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, i havent heard of any hard evidence that they cheated

On another note, i thought it was pathetic how the white house commented on this

They should be busy trying to fix real issues like interest rates, starvation, and social security. Not to mention the influx of mexicans now illegal mexican americans

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pats supposed to be making an announcement on the NFL network at 2:30. They are already 20 min late but I am tuned it.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It really depends what the NFL can prove. There are cameras all over the stadium. If anything can be proven then the Pats need to be fined millions of dollars and lose multiple high draft picks and potential lengthy suspensions starting after the SB.
Someone suggested re-scheduling the game vs Indy. Are you kidding me? The Superbowl date/time has probably been set for a yr and changing the date is a logistics nightmare.

I understand that and realize this would never happen but If it were up to meee

I would redo the entire AFC playoffs =p

Putting Denver #1 Seed Steelers #2 so on... =p

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When the min. is 12.5 psi, 10.5 psi or 84% of the required minimum is actually quite a lot. Mysteriously, once the footballs were inflated to the proper minimum, they somehow magically managed to remain inflated.

The defender who intercepted a ball and the Colt's ball boy both thought "Gee, this feels 'squishy'"...but a seasoned veteran like Brady, who handles the ball on each and every offensive play, "didn't notice" during the first half?

Sure. And I have a great deal for you on some "prime Floridian real estate", just off the beaten path in the everglades.

Now if this were a "first time" offense, then maybe a fine and a lost draft pick.
But apparently this wasn't much of a "deterrent" after "spygate"...
and then never really resolved the "mysterious" radio frequency malfunctions of the opposing offense helmet receivers immediately preceding third and long in Gillette stadium.

Personally, I think Belicheck knew. I don't think anyone associated with the team would dare do anything without his consent. Including Brady.

Is it a "big deal"? Wouldn't the Pats have won that game even if they used a golfball and wore bedroom slippers instead of cleats? Probably. But this decision was made prior to knowing how the game was going to turn out.
Had the game been as close as the Ravens, it could have made "all the difference in the world".

Fitting punishment? Hard to say since I am not a Pats fan.
Personally I think they should make an example out of "Belicheat" and ban him from the NFL for at least 2 years and Brady get at least a few games suspension. Never happen.

A more fitting punishment would be to force the Patriots to use footballs inflated to no more than 5.5 psi - the 2 psi they took out and a penalty of an additional 4 psi including during the kicking game with enough water added to make the minimum weight requirement :p

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I remember a terrible call against the Chiefs, prolly cost them the game, pretty sure it was this season, let's replay the season & if we all wish really hard, I bet we can get all the players to refrain from breaking any of the rules & the best team will every game & flowers will bloom in the snow & it will be so wonderful.Unless them ****** patriots end up winnin.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well the Pats get away with SpyGate with a slap on the wrist they get away with holding penalties out the wazooo... Why change the trend?

bredstik

bredstik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They should definitely be punished, but there's no way the NFL would ever do anything as drastic as replaying games. I think the best you could hope for would something like what happened to Sean Peyton of New Orleans with BountyGate, where maybe Belichek gets suspended next season if they can prove it was a coverup. I don't think that's likely though either.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you aint cheating, you aint trying... big fine and maybe loss of draft picks. NFL should supply the balls for both teams - kinda silly they don't already do that.

glenn6971

glenn6971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take 2 early round picks in the draft and fine the team 2 million. That should do the trick.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
2 million??

Sounds like the NFL would be doing them a favor... Saving them money on First round draft picks and 2 million they've already made up on super bowl team merchandise and the game hasn't even started yet..

That's like 2 seconds worth of advertising during the super bowl...

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
they get away with holding penalties out the wazooo...
lol...so I'm not the only one who complains about this..
has always been one of my biggest complaints...especially in Gillette

I absolutely hated 99.9% of the games during the referee strike...
the 0.1% I did like was the sub refs didn't know that in Boston they call that "blocking" :p

motorcity1957

motorcity1957

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check his balls

i don't think it would have changed the outcome of the game, each teams quaterback picks their own balls they will use when they are in the game, The New England balls were only on the field when New England was on offense. i thought they got their butt kicked so why could'nt the other team score with their own balls?
New England has a long history of bending and breaking the rules, blame the Ref's , and the NFL league officials.i think the Lion's were robbed, so i am still steaming over that.
anyway, both games are over and done. cant and wont be changed, but you can bet they will have lots of people checking and watching everything.
NOW:eek:

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Disqualified? Seriously? Not a chance. Fined and/or penalized in some way that actually hurts the franchise, sure, but no way can or will they be disqualified.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh - I am 100% positive that they won't be - I think we all know that.

This is an opinion question - "should they be" - not a "will they be"

E

emirlidan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't believe they can be disqualified even if the nfl wanted to do so I think the most they can do is fine/take draft picks

and in the defense of the patriots during the first half the refs touched the balls they didn't notice but the patriots were supposed to?

that doesn't fly with me the ref should have noticed at first touch

of course Tom knew but the punishment here is def worth going to the superbowl

they need to get one set of game balls and both teams should use those in order to help prevent this in the future

also I'm not a patriots fan and am rooting or the seahawks in the superbowl