College Football Playoffs 2014-2015 thread

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first rankings for the college football playoffs came out...

1. Mississippi State
2. Florida State
3. Auburn
4. Ole Miss

Oregon is 5 and Alabama is 6. Notre Dame is 10, which I think is crazy. Ole Miss should not be #4 after looking like crap and losing a close game vs LSU. It looks like there is an SEC bias in the rankings which is not good.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CF Playoff Rankings Nov 25

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Mississippi State

MissSt @ Ole Miss - I feel like MissSt will crush Ole Miss
Florida @ FSU - could be a good game, its at FSU though and a big rivalry so I really think the Noles will try to run it up if they're motivated. They're out of the playoff if they lose.
Oregon vs Oregon State - I think Oregon has won their rivalry game 6 in a row now, shouldn't be any different this year. Marcus Mariotta should win the Heisman.
Auburn @ Alabama - I hope this will be a good game, but you've gotta have the feeling that Bama will wear them out by the end of the contest. I'd love to see Bama lose in the championship game of the SEC. That would really throw a wrench into the machine.

TCU, Ohio State, and Baylor are the remaining 1-loss teams hoping to sneak into the dance. We need an 8-team playoff as soon as possible. As far as I'm concerned, this thing is good.

zjohnzzz

zjohnzzz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
think before its over ohio state gets in

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
think before its over ohio state gets in
If ANY team that lost to a HORRIBLE Virginia Tech (their worst team in probably 15 years) gets in the whole thing is a huge joke. The Big Ten is terrible this year. Their champ doesn't deserve to go to the Rose Bowl much less the playoffs.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If ANY team that lost to a HORRIBLE Virginia Tech (their worst team in probably 15 years) gets in the whole thing is a huge joke. The Big Ten is terrible this year. Their champ doesn't deserve to go to the Rose Bowl much less the playoffs.
That Ohio State loss to VTech is really glaring, almost unexplainable. The thing is though, Braxton Miller (qb) was injured, if I remember correctly. The Buckeyes have improved and just continue to win. It will still take luck for any one of the 1-loss teams to get into the playoff, each of them needs impressive wins, no more room for error.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Braxton Miller has been out all year. JT Barrett has been at QB since the season started. Yes it was game 2 or something but it really shouldn't matter when you lose if it's to a team that failed to score a single point in regulation against Wake Forest.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is one thing college football has taught us - if you're going to lose, do it early. Winning streaks and improvement give you enough momentum heading into season finales to get close to the top of the mountain. Ohio State has that winning streak and they have improved. They're still in a situation where they need somebody ahead of them to stumble though, and avoid some type of stumble. So its not like they've been handed a ticket yet.

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope JT Barrett getting hurt doesn't cost OSU a spot in the playoffs, if a team like Florida State loses to Georgia Tech. OSU has a very tough BIG 10 Championship game vs Wisconsin. If they win that, they deserve to make the playoffs.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They have no shot without Barrett even if they win imo. The committee will put another 1 loss team in over them.

420FLuSH024

420FLuSH024

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They have no shot without Barrett even if they win imo. The committee will put another 1 loss team in over them.

Unfortunately I think you are right, Cordale Jones is good but I'm not sure if he can beat that tough Wisconsin def and even if he is who knows how the committee will place them. Wisconsin also has a beastly running game with Melvin Gordon, one of the best running backs in college football. And whom ever said the Big 10 is weak is wrong several Big 10 teams have been and are ranked, FSU wouldn't go undefeated in the Big 10 or any other conference for that matter.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If Ohio State pulls off the win, I don't seem them getting in anyway. Baylor has already beaten TCU, they have strength to sneak in if they beat KState. TCU might hold up anyway. Arizona also has a shot at #4 in the CFP if they can defeat Oregon, and they've already done it once this year.

420FLuSH024

420FLuSH024

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think Arizona even with a win over Oregon would get in(just my opinion). Florida State has a good chance of losing to Georgia Tech which would be brilliant and even a little bit funny. Baylor's QB Bryce Petty is dealing with a concussion which doesn't bode well for Art Bryles' team. I think TCU and OSU will be in the CFP well I hope the Buckeyes can sneak in but I'm not sure what they can really do with Cordale Jones.

Last edited:
zjohnzzz

zjohnzzz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
georgia tech upsets fla state today

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That Ohio State loss to VTech is really glaring, almost unexplainable. The thing is though, Braxton Miller (qb) was injured, if I remember correctly. The Buckeyes have improved and just continue to win. It will still take luck for any one of the 1-loss teams to get into the playoff, each of them needs impressive wins, no more room for error.

Um, no, it's very explainable...

New OL + Freshman QB thrust into the starter role like 2.5 weeks before the game because of an injury to a heisman contender versus a Bud Foster blitz happy defense= BIG PROBLEMS.

The OL is markedly better now that they've had time to gel as a unit, and obviously the QB is/was (sigh) a strength now instead of a weakness.

The VT loss is one of the most overblown issues of this whole season tbh. If you wanna downgrade OSU, downgrade them on the lack of quality opponents....which is looking like less and less of a story actually with Minny looking like a solid team and MSU still regarded as a top 10 type squad...and now a game against a pretty game Wisky team that no one would argue is much worse than the 15th best team in the country really.

That being said, i don't think OSU wins bc of the injuries at QB.....sad really, because with Braxton or JT I think they give FSU nightmares because they can really put points up and match up athletically with the Noles like few teams outside of the SEC can.

I think even if they squeak out a win over Wisky, they shouldn't go over TCU or Baylor bc without JT Barrett, they aren't realistically a top 4 club.

Cordale was sort of an afterthought in recruiting and comes from a program that has a relationship with tOSU. He is a physically talented athlete with enormous size and surprising agility/speed for a legit 250lber, but he doesn't have close to the passing game JT has, and he was never considered a future starter.

420FLuSH024

420FLuSH024

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Um, no, it's very explainable...

New OL + Freshman QB thrust into the starter role like 2.5 weeks before the game because of an injury to a heisman contender versus a Bud Foster blitz happy defense= BIG PROBLEMS.

The OL is markedly better now that they've had time to gel as a unit, and obviously the QB is/was (sigh) a strength now instead of a weakness.

The VT loss is one of the most overblown issues of this whole season tbh. If you wanna downgrade OSU, downgrade them on the lack of quality opponents....which is looking like less and less of a story actually with Minny looking like a solid team and MSU still regarded as a top 10 type squad...and now a game against a pretty game Wisky team that no one would argue is much worse than the 15th best team in the country really.

That being said, i don't think OSU wins bc of the injuries at QB.....sad really, because with Braxton or JT I think they give FSU nightmares because they can really put points up and match up athletically with the Noles like few teams outside of the SEC can.

I think even if they squeak out a win over Wisky, they shouldn't go over TCU or Baylor bc without JT Barrett, they aren't realistically a top 4 club.

Cordale was sort of an afterthought in recruiting and comes from a program that has a relationship with tOSU. He is a physically talented athlete with enormous size and surprising agility/speed for a legit 250lber, but he doesn't have close to the passing game JT has, and he was never considered a future starter.

Cardale is actually a good passer he is more of a passer then a runner, he comes from a passing program although he does like you mentioned have surprising speed/agility for a 250lb 6'5" QB. The OSU has several young exceptional talents and if they actually all show up they can shut down any offense they have that level of talent. I think this lies in the hands of the offense if they can produce then the defense will show up and I think Melvin Gordon will be held to under 100yds. As for OSU breaking the top 4 I'm not sure but I'm hopeful

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cardale is actually a good passer he is more of a passer then a runner, he comes from a passing program although he does like you mentioned have surprising speed/agility for a 250lb 6'5" QB. The OSU has several young exceptional talents and if they actually all show up they can shut down any offense they have that level of talent. I think this lies in the hands of the offense if they can produce then the defense will show up and I think Melvin Gordon will be held to under 100yds. As for OSU breaking the top 4 I'm not sure but I'm hopeful

Obviously if they hold Melvin to under 100 yds they win. Heck, under 130 yds they probably win imho. Wisky doesn't have the speed on the edge to really scare OSU's DBs or make a lot of big plays in the passing game. Unfortunately, their talents on defense are more in the areas of pass rush and speed than in shutting down a Wisc. type retro-attack. Their LBackers are young (outside Grant), and are better at covering, blitzing and running to the ball and blowing people up than at plugging gaps and at being sound in the run game at this point in their careers (this will probably change over time).

As for Cordale, it's kind of premature for either of us to really make any pronouncements based of the little we've seens, but he wasn't in the running for the job after at all after BM went down. You can obviously attribute that to the fact JT was so damn advanced as far as knowing/executing the playbook or you can believe that was because he didn't look all that great passing the ball.

It really doesn't matter bc he will have his shot to prove himself in 2 hours anyway.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Braxton Miller has been out all year. JT Barrett has been at QB since the season started. Yes it was game 2 or something but it really shouldn't matter when you lose if it's to a team that failed to score a single point in regulation against Wake Forest.

This is the same VT team which was 6 points from having a winning record in the ACC, lost to GT (who now is considered a good matchup for FSU) by a FG and still won 3 games in the ACC, right?

So if they are so completely atrocious, how bad is the ACC and by extension FSU who looks unimpressive in the ACC?

I don't think VT is that good, but they aren't as bad as you think, and the B10 is clearly a better conference than the ACC this yr 1st to last.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree they (B10) are better than the ACC. Assuming FSU wins the selection committee is going to have to piss off a bunch of people no matter who they stick in there as the 4th team. Just hoping GT can win the ACC and then TCU and tOSU can both get in. Really think it's a 2 man race between Bama and Oregon for the title but you never know.

420FLuSH024

420FLuSH024

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn, 38-0 at halftime I'm not sure anyone could have predicted this. The Buckeyes are playing with purpose and if things continue to look this good I think we will see OSU squeak into the playoffs. GO BUCKS!!

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree they (B10) are better than the ACC. Assuming FSU wins the selection committee is going to have to piss off a bunch of people no matter who they stick in there as the 4th team. Just hoping GT can win the ACC and then TCU and tOSU can both get in. Really think it's a 2 man race between Bama and Oregon for the title but you never know.

I actually agree 100%.

I really don't think tOSU can play up to Oregon or Bama without JT Barrett who has 0% chance of coming back.

Cardale looks pretty good right now, but he doesn't look all that comfortable running the read option tbh. Man, that tOSU defense is peaking and will be monstrous next yr.

tOSU for the early #1 in CFB next yr.....they are going to be beastly.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still think they only get a top 4 spot if FSU falls.

420FLuSH024

420FLuSH024

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah I'd love to see FSU lose that would really cap of a great night after a dominate Buckeye performance. I think GT has a legit chance of cracking an overrated FSU squad.

I actually agree 100%.

I really don't think tOSU can play up to Oregon or Bama without JT Barrett who has 0% chance of coming back.

Cardale looks pretty good right now, but he doesn't look all that comfortable running the read option tbh. Man, that tOSU defense is peaking and will be monstrous next yr.

tOSU for the early #1 in CFB next yr.....they are going to be beastly.

I agree 100% about next year, that defense is going to induce nightmares every Friday night. I can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
sorry guys ....great game .....oh oh oh oh ....doing the chop...oh oh oh oh!

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The scariest part about these Buckeyes is the Sr's they lose-with one or two exceptions- might be positions that are upgraded.

Look at MLB where Raekwon will be taking over for C. Grant full time....probably an upgrade.

Or Corey Smith being the opening day starter over Spencer....

If they get anything out of Tommy Schutt next yr, this defense has basically no holes at all assuming they stay healthy **knocks on wood**

I think the Chris Ash hire as a co-DC is looking better and better as the back 7 has come miles from last yr and is still very young outside Dorian.