CHESS

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tried a game of chess v computer and i just cant win a game...its just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard....

fair play to anyone who 'gets it' and can play well...never played chess as a kid/teenager or young adult, and i think you need to get into this at an early age...too late for me i think..

oruro

oruro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing against computers are no longer a good option for humans. It´s been probably never been though.... You should try playing live chess!!!

But if you want to play against a machine, try maybe the chessmaster where you can change the levels.

It is never late to learn any discipline, specially chess. It is true that its better when you are a kid (4 or 5 years is the better time to start) since your brain develops parts that other people mantains asleep, but chess has the virtue that you can enjoy it a lot playing even if you are not a "great" player!

Theromeo2k

Theromeo2k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Which sites are good for playing chess for free online?

I usually play at chess.com and know some other site but I would love to know more!

Some good sites are: Chessanytime, lichess.org, Chesscube, chess.com, ICC (this one has really tough players)

Playing against computers are no longer a good option for humans. It´s been probably never been though.... You should try playing live chess!!!

But if you want to play against a machine, try maybe the chessmaster where you can change the levels.

It is never late to learn any discipline, specially chess. It is true that its better when you are a kid (4 or 5 years is the better time to start) since your brain develops parts that other people mantains asleep, but chess has the virtue that you can enjoy it a lot playing even if you are not a "great" player!

+1

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playful knows how to play chess but finds it a bit boring:joyman:

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

ive played maybe 30 correspondence games and lost every one..so ive yet to win a game against anything lol..

true what you say though in that anyone can play...although i bet its more enjoyable if you know what you're doing rather than moving pieces randomly like me

oruro

oruro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive played maybe 30 correspondence games and lost every one..so ive yet to win a game against anything lol..

true what you say though in that anyone can play...although i bet its more enjoyable if you know what you're doing rather than moving pieces randomly like me

Correspondence chess is very difficult since you have a lot time to think and analized every single position, but is very, very useful to start to understand the game if you play responsible.

The first advise for a beginner is to never play blitz, super rapid games are useful but not to start. It is the same in Poker, Superturbo is not good at the beginning! You can try something fast but with sense, like 15/10, which is 15 minutes to start with 10 second increment per move.

Moving pieces randomly is like to go ALL IN in every single hand! Chess has a process like poker!

Dont give up AlfieAA, try youtube´s Daniel King´s lessons!

Cheers!

Theromeo2k

Theromeo2k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

lol. I think playful should give bullet chess a try and see if he likes it :p
Also, watch Chessnetworks Bullet tourneys. They're hilarious!

Correspondence chess is very difficult since you have a lot time to think and analized every single position, but is very, very useful to start to understand the game if you play responsible.

The first advise for a beginner is to never play blitz, super rapid games are useful but not to start. It is the same in Poker, Superturbo is not good at the beginning! You can try something fast but with sense, like 15/10, which is 15 minutes to start with 10 second increment per move.

Moving pieces randomly is like to go ALL IN in every single hand! Chess has a process like poker!

Dont give up AlfieAA, try youtube´s Daniel King´s lessons!

Cheers!

+2

I'm loving all your comments! I second everything you said. Have some patience Alfie, you can still learn. It's not like your 80yo lol

oruro

oruro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Chess could be really boring for sure Playful! Let´s say that you are playing poker and you dont even know if a "Flush" is better than a "Straight" or a "Full House"! That would be not just boring but even confusing!

Chess is easy to enjoy is you know at least some basics about tactics and strategy, you should give a change to this beatiful game!

If so, you should definitely need someone to guide you, because learning chess by your own at the beggining could be very tough and not a good option because the fundaments of the game can not be misunderstand!

Once you learn if difficult to forget!

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess could be really boring for sure Playful! Let´s say that you are playing poker and you dont even know if a "Flush" is better than a "Straight" or a "Full House"! That would be not just boring but even confusing!

Chess is easy to enjoy is you know at least some basics about tactics and strategy, you should give a change to this beatiful game!

If so, you should definitely need someone to guide you, because learning chess by your own at the beggining could be very tough and not a good option because the fundaments of the game can not be misunderstand!

Once you learn if difficult to forget!

Would rather play checkers than chess and im old blonde country girl so there:smile:

oruro

oruro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you guys following the World Chess Cup?

It is Nakamura the guy to beat right now?

What do you think about this tournament so far?

Cheers!

Theromeo2k

Theromeo2k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you guys following the World Chess Cup?

It is Nakamura the guy to beat right now?

What do you think about this tournament so far?

Cheers!

Yes! I do think Naka has been crushing it and is the fav to come out winning vs Peter Svidler in this last round of the World Cup.

oruro

oruro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just can´t stand this format, specially if is to quialify to the candidates tournament. A player can actually qualify without winning a "serious" game.

I can not believe Magnus Carlsen actually proposed something like this to decide the World Champion. It is also very strange since he decided not to be part of the circuit to be the candidate around 2009 because of the drawing matches bla bla bla...

Anyway, Nakamura is not my favorite player, but it would be good for chess is he wins this World Cup!

Theromeo2k

Theromeo2k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just can´t stand this format, specially if is to quialify to the candidates tournament. A player can actually qualify without winning a "serious" game.

I can not believe Magnus Carlsen actually proposed something like this to decide the World Champion. It is also very strange since he decided not to be part of the circuit to be the candidate around 2009 because of the drawing matches bla bla bla...

Anyway, Nakamura is not my favorite player, but it would be good for chess is he wins this World Cup!

It's a pretty interesting, double-edged format... But I think the cons outweigh the pros on this one for a lot of reasons that I won't get into right now.

I guess Magnus proposed this because he was tired of defending his titled in so a short period of time? I mean, he did say that he wants to give other ppl a better chance to be the WC but that's kind of dodgy tbh.

Watch out for Wei Yi. That kid has some serious game and has advanced to the quarter finals...

oruro

oruro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a pretty interesting, double-edged format... But I think the cons outweigh the pros on this one for a lot of reasons that I won't get into right now.

I guess Magnus proposed this because he was tired of defending his titled in so a short period of time? I mean, he did say that he wants to give other ppl a better chance to be the WC but that's kind of dodgy tbh.

Watch out for Wei Yi. That kid has some serious game and has advanced to the quarter finals...

I got your point! It might be interesting but not to decide a World Champion! This is what I think: Magnus said that he wanted to give a chance to other players to become world champion, but that is precisely the problem, because to be the world champion is not a matter of chances, it is a matter of merits, talent, mind and capacity!

Magnus himself got there (the title in 2013) by a very difficult path, I accept it is very tough to got the chance to be the candidate. Nevertheless, he managed to do it because he is the best and that is what was missing in Chess since Gary Kasparov left FIDE in 1993, we did not have the best player as the world champion!

Now be got him and he is the best without any doubt. Additionaly, Magnus has just defended the title once or let´s say it has just played it twice and both against Anand, so I do not understand why he is "tired", I think he has to wait and beat guys like Caruana, Aronian (not the next time) or Nakamura to say it is enough and "boring" or to be tired, since them, specially Caruana would be extremely difficult for Magnus in a match and I guess he would be World Champion some day.

With all the respect the players deserved, I just hope not to have another Khalifman or Kasimdzhanov (even Anand or Topalov, however their situation is sligthy different) as a world champion, because I agree with Kasparov, they are just "tourists" and they became World Champion because of the weak format! The problem is that it was Kasparov himself who gave them the possibility to become World Champions leaving FIDE with that cisma that I do not want to experience ever again!

Theromeo2k

Theromeo2k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I got your point! It might be interesting but not to decide a World Champion! This is what I think: Magnus said that he wanted to give a chance to other players to become world champion, but that is precisely the problem, because to be the world champion is not a matter of chances, it is a matter of merits, talent, mind and capacity!

Magnus himself got there (the title in 2013) by a very difficult path, I accept it is very tough to got the chance to be the candidate. Nevertheless, he managed to do it because he is the best and that is what was missing in Chess since Gary Kasparov left FIDE in 1993, we did not have the best player as the world champion!

Now be got him and he is the best without any doubt. Additionaly, Magnus has just defended the title once or let´s say it has just played it twice and both against Anand, so I do not understand why he is "tired", I think he has to wait and beat guys like Caruana, Aronian (not the next time) or Nakamura to say it is enough and "boring" or to be tired, since them, specially Caruana would be extremely difficult for Magnus in a match and I guess he would be World Champion some day.

With all the respect the players deserved, I just hope not to have another Khalifman or Kasimdzhanov (even Anand or Topalov, however their situation is sligthy different) as a world champion, because I agree with Kasparov, they are just "tourists" and they became World Champion because of the weak format! The problem is that it was Kasparov himself who gave them the possibility to become World Champions leaving FIDE with that cisma that I do not want to experience ever again!

Yeah, makes a lot of sense and I concur that this particular game/sport is all about the skill and the best player has to earn that crown.

oruro

oruro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a finish in the World Cup.

24 days playing chess at a very high level in a format that allow players to win even drawing all the classic games.

That is simply bad chess.

Really bad and unfair that Karjakin won this cup even losing rating points and just looking for a draw in the important games!

Theromeo2k

Theromeo2k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What a finish in the World Cup.

24 days playing chess at a very high level in a format that allow players to win even drawing all the classic games.

That is simply bad chess.

Really bad and unfair that Karjakin won this cup even losing rating points and just looking for a draw in the important games!

Wow what a blunder by Svidler! He had Karjakin stone dead with 6 seconds left vs his 40+.

That wasn't the best World Cup I've seen and hopefully they abandon this idea in the future because it wasn't that satisfying as viewer tbh.

oruro

oruro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow what a blunder by Svidler! He had Karjakin stone dead with 6 seconds left vs his 40+.

That wasn't the best World Cup I've seen and hopefully they abandon this idea in the future because it wasn't that satisfying as viewer tbh.

That was I have been taking about. Peter deserved this cup about four times in the finals.

Can you imagine this crazy format to decide the world champion? It would be terrible in my opinion.

Magnus´ idea is just silly and I do hope he is not going to follow the bad steps of Gary Kasparov who did a lot for the game inside the game, but outside (politics and desitions) he was a big problem for chess.

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I use BabaChess :

screenshot_123.png