Chris Wade

Chris Wade

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
First they sign Case Keenum on the basis of one good year. Now Elway trades a fourth round pick for a QB that would have been released. Think maybe Elway should have his head examined. His track record when it comes to picking quarterbacks is terrible. Oh well on to baseball.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It wasn't a terrible move on his part. He picked up Keenum because the QB race last year was pretty thin and everyone was going after Monster Contracts. HE traded for Flacco because Flacco is actually one of the veterans that were about to be targeted by a Lot of teams and in his eyes he wasn't thinking Flacco would join Denver. Teams like Jacksonville or Washington would be more of an Interest. He gave up a low option for a QB that actually has success he just had Terrible offensive teams in Baltimore.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HE traded for Flacco because Flacco is actually one of the veterans that were about to be targeted by a Lot of teams...

I don't think that's necessarily true - there aren't "a lot" of teams who really need a QB, and the list of ones who need one and had the cap space to eat Flacco's ridiculous contract is even smaller (hint: Jacksonville and Washington have less total space than Flacco's $18.5m 2019 cap hit)

Overpaying for a mediocre veteran QB is a sure-fire way to torpedo your team in the current environment, so I don't really know who the Broncos thought was going to snaffle Flacco away from them?

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think that's necessarily true - there aren't "a lot" of teams who really need a QB, and the list of ones who need one and had the cap space to eat Flacco's ridiculous contract is even smaller (hint: Jacksonville and Washington have less total space than Flacco's $18.5m 2019 cap hit)

Overpaying for a mediocre veteran QB is a sure-fire way to torpedo your team in the current environment, so I don't really know who the Broncos thought was going to snaffle Flacco away from them?

never said Jacksonville or Washington was going to trade for him , Im saying once flacco hit free agency the broncos prob weren't on his list of teams

Teams Rumored to be or In the Process of moving on from QBs/In search of QB

Detroit Lions
Denver Broncos (until the trade)
Jacksonville Jaguars
Cincinnatti Bengals
Washington Redskins
Miami Dolphins
New York Giants
Oakland Raiders

The need is there , Yes a lot of Teams are going to use the Draft to fill QB needs but You still need a veteran to Mold within. He's not Mediocre he was on a Mediocre team when it came to Offense. yes he's not a Stand alone QB or a QB you would even Call "elite" but he won a lot of games that were on the line. He just hasn't hand standout receivers ,since his like 2014 season he's mainly only carried WR3s and barely WR2. I mean literally Steve Smith was his only True #1 he's had. You can say Torrey smith was decent and that is true but he was never a stand alone receiver.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Detroit Lions
Denver Broncos (until the trade)
Jacksonville Jaguars
Cincinnatti Bengals
Washington Redskins
Miami Dolphins
New York Giants
Oakland Raiders

Interesting list... which I think proves my point from earlier.

Washington are a special case, in that they need a QB because they lost Alex Smith to that horrific injury but they're still on the hook for his salary. In every other case though, the reason those teems need a change at quarterback is because they're currently overpaying for average-at-best QBs (Stafford is better than average IMO, but Detroit are paying him a lot for "better than average").

Trading for Joe Flacco and his $18.5 million 2019 cap hit doesn't solve that problem for any of those teams - they'd just be overpaying for a different QB who's not elite.

Chris Wade

Chris Wade

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The biggest problem is Elway. If Elway "likes" a QB he is mediocre at best. If Elway "loves" a QB look out. Brock Osweiler, Jeff Simien and Chad Kelly aka the pervert. Oh and he loved Paxton Lynch. I think when Flacco and the Ravens beat Denver as underdogs Elway got enamored. Cause you know love hurts. Lol.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest problem is Elway. If Elway "likes" a QB he is mediocre at best. If Elway "loves" a QB look out. Brock Osweiler, Jeff Simien and Chad Kelly aka the pervert. Oh and he loved Paxton Lynch. I think when Flacco and the Ravens beat Denver as underdogs Elway got enamored. Cause you know love hurts. Lol.

He liked Paxton lynch because lynch could throw it a mile ….he just couldn't actually...…..throw it to the right team. I agree Elways Elwayness when it comes to QBs is funny as hell, When they picked up Keenum I laughed. The broncos have a Decently good surrounding on offense they just Didn't have the QB talent. Flacco will at least bring in an Arm that can throw for more than 11 yards which will improve the run game as well.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Maybe Elway aspires to become the Michael Jordan equivalent of football decision makers. Works for me as a follower of the Chiefies. :)

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a terrible decision from Elway.If you need an experienced QB, why not Nick Foles? I think Flacco has demonstrated over the years that non-elite QB !

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a terrible decision from Elway.If you need an experienced QB, why not Nick Foles? I think Flacco has demonstrated over the years that non-elite QB !

Foles isn't elite though either. Foles is more of a great Situational backup but he is not a season long starter. Even though hes going to get a Monster contract out of somebody

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Elway has done well in acquiring players for every other position than the one he played.

This is another joke of a decision by him, Joe has been the worst QB stats wise since he won the Superbowl and that includes a league with Blake Bortholes.

In my view Case is slightly better than Joe but only slightly and next season they will have to pay for both of them. If I remember hearing correctly their QB bill for next year will be the 6th highest in the league.

What makes it enough more bad is why did they rush to trade for him they are probably going to be better options and Joe would still be available later it's not like any teams will be rushing for him.

Well done by the Ravens they get a free 4th round draft pick the were probably going to cut Joe.

First they sign Case Keenum on the basis of one good year. Now Elway trades a fourth round pick for a QB that would have been released. Think maybe Elway should have his head examined. His track record when it comes to picking quarterbacks is terrible. Oh well on to baseball.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flaco

Well it seems after looking at last years stats on both players people in Denver are in for another " rebuilding year" at best!

Both had a pass completion ratio of 63% . Looks like Case had a year to prove himself and pressure from the public on Elway put him in the shopping mode again.

Looks like another long year ahead here in Denver even IF they can pick up one of the 1st round QB's available.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Might be a good idea if Flacco was a 'bridge' to a younger player. Otherwise, it looks like another desperation move.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well it seems after looking at last years stats on both players people in Denver are in for another " rebuilding year" at best!

Both had a pass completion ratio of 63% . Looks like Case had a year to prove himself and pressure from the public on Elway put him in the shopping mode again.

Looks like another long year ahead here in Denver even IF they can pick up one of the 1st round QB's available.

That's the worst part about this though - trading for a quarterback as mediocre as Flacco, while also paying close to $20m for him, makes it difficult for you to win now AND to rebuild...

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with most comments. Unless Flacco recaptures goo SB form which Elway may be gambling on, this trade doesn't look so hot, though the money is a bigger issue than the 4th round pick

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
only team brady teams lose to in the playoffs is the broncos and ravens combine flacco and broncos together if they play brady in the playoffs im betting on denver

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don' t like he move. I think Flaco has had his best days and he isnt a top tier Q.B anymore. Go through the draft I think.

PelyaMX

PelyaMX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flaco won't help Broncos! Era Broncos had ended when Payton Manning retired!
Now ERA 49ers will begin !! =))))))

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don' t like he move. I think Flaco has had his best days and he isnt a top tier Q.B anymore. Go through the draft I think.

They are drafting a QB , Flacco is there because they need a well rounded Veteran. Them just taking a QB in the draft and starting him would literally be worse than starting Brandon Weeden

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Picking up a rookie from College is a bet. It might go well, great player or otherwise. A veteran for some teams it might work. See Brady on Patriots. I know he is the best of all times some people say but is a veteran as well. He is not far from retire.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are drafting a QB , Flacco is there because they need a well rounded Veteran. Them just taking a QB in the draft and starting him would literally be worse than starting Brandon Weeden

So much about that still doesn't make sense though:

First of all, if it's John Elway that's in charge of drafting the QB then I wouldn't be holding my breath about them picking the right one.

Second, this isn't a draft where people are shouting from the rooftops about the amount of QB talent available.

Third, if all they needed was a "well rounded veteran" to play QB then why didn't they stick with Case Keenum?!? He's already there. He costs less than Flacco. The team won six games with him last year. If all they're doing is getting someone to start while they develop a rookie behind him, then you don't need to pay Joe Flacco $18.5 million to do that.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So much about that still doesn't make sense though:

First of all, if it's John Elway that's in charge of drafting the QB then I wouldn't be holding my breath about them picking the right one.

Second, this isn't a draft where people are shouting from the rooftops about the amount of QB talent available.

Third, if all they needed was a "well rounded veteran" to play QB then why didn't they stick with Case Keenum?!? He's already there. He costs less than Flacco. The team won six games with him last year. If all they're doing is getting someone to start while they develop a rookie behind him, then you don't need to pay Joe Flacco $18.5 million to do that.

Damn I love good football talk. this threads awesome

The reason case keenum isn't around is because case keenum isn't a well rounded veteran...Hes just a veteran. Flaccos Been through it all and has way better stats than Keenum

B. yes this draft isn't screaming with QBs , but guess what? they still have to attempt for one. Hopefully they avoid Haskins because hes overrated , but any QB that falls to them they'd be stupid enough not to take. They are at the rebuilding stages of their team , it doesn't hurt them to take a risk this year.

5. Elway will get his Jollys off to any QB he deems to have a Cannon for an arm , That's why Lynch was such a Huge ordeal because dude could throw missiles...Just didn't have a great targeting system

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
B. yes this draft isn't screaming with QBs , but guess what? they still have to attempt for one. Hopefully they avoid Haskins because hes overrated , but any QB that falls to them they'd be stupid enough not to take. They are at the rebuilding stages of their team , it doesn't hurt them to take a risk this year.

Yeah, it's the last bit that's pretty much my whole point: they're rebuilding. Or, at least, they should be. But you don't rebuild by giving away draft capital and overpaying for Joe Flacco. They're tanking at tanking, and it's hilarious :p

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously getting Flacco means Elway had hopes that is is not a tanking season otherwise they could just stay at status quo with keenum

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, it's the last bit that's pretty much my whole point: they're rebuilding. Or, at least, they should be. But you don't rebuild by giving away draft capital and overpaying for Joe Flacco. They're tanking at tanking, and it's hilarious :p

I wouldn't say tanking. I mean yes they are giving away draft capital but at the same Time. Flacco isn't terrible . he's an upgrade from Keenum and when they take their QB in this draft He will be able to teach and mold. Pretty sure the reason he wanted Flacoo so bad was because of how Flacco was with Lamar Jackson. He was always trying to teach him how to be a better QB on and Off the Field Not just when the cameras were on. Either way though it doesn't affect my team at all , Ill be insanely ahppy if Next year Elway comes after Mariota. :dancing2: