• Start date
O

Online_PokerSux

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Why is it when I play Omaha PLO (and I mean I play tournaments several times a day on ACR), I flop strong (Flush, King high Straight, a Set etc.) and yet every frigging time (and I mean every frigging time) I get screwed on the river. Flush gets screwed by a full house, straight by a Flush, and sets get screwed by either of those outcomes.

I always raise massively when those starting hands hit, keep raising when Donks raise me back (mostly with nothing but far outside draws), and yet always lose. What the heck am I doing wrong? Why is it always me that loses? I mean, at this point, my winning percentage must rest at about 2-5% due to how many times I've been screwed over.

BTW, the tournaments always start the same way: some idiot donk raises ridiculously high (6-10x the big blinds), and the pos rng always pays them off. At this point, I am starting to believe that it is no longer about variance, and mostly about consistency. as in "Let's see how many times we can consistently screw over this player".

I could really use some input/assistance on how to adjust my playing, because what I am doing (trying to play smart) clearly isn't working at all.

Flyer35

Flyer35

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Unfortunately it's that kind of game. With 4 hole cards there are a huge number of strong hands to be had and only the strongest (or perhaps luckiest) will survive. OMHL is even worse.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

Ripley rips it in on Replay
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Inform urself first about the game u want to play to avoid missunderstandings later.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously you just suck at poker

MK_

MK_

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
US
Chips
I think what a lot of players may not realize about Omaha is that it's a drawing game,

a good drawing hand can be as strong and stronger than any so called made hand,

it's also very true that it's easy to go broke with a set in Omaha,

as for having a "flush or a king hi straight" neither is the nuts,

maybe try not raising massively and don't keep raising so you don't always lose,

if everything always goes the same, the common denominator is you👍

O

Online_PokerSux

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
you know,

it must be really easy to say it must be me. If you were sitting at the tables I have been sitting at, and getting the hands I have been getting, you would not say that.

I have been playing on ACR for months, and it is always the same: some idiot jack*** raises from the start, or calls a really marginal hand from the start (usually containing high cards and nothing else) and then they always suck out.

the "rng" on ACR (and many other sites) are all geared the same way: Generate as many people into respective hands, and then screw the smallest stack and pay off the big stacked donk.....ALWAYS....so please do no insult me and say it is me.

Flyer35

Flyer35

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
you know,

it must be really easy to say it must be me. If you were sitting at the tables I have been sitting at, and getting the hands I have been getting, you would not say that.

I have been playing on ACR for months, and it is always the same: some idiot jack*** raises from the start, or calls a really marginal hand from the start (usually containing high cards and nothing else) and then they always suck out.

the "rng" on ACR (and many other sites) are all geared the same way: Generate as many people into respective hands, and then screw the smallest stack and pay off the big stacked donk.....ALWAYS....so please do no insult me and say it is me.
My best advice - keep the bets low and don't raise/re-raise till you know you're well ahead, plus you have good draws to do even better. It's not just 'you'. We all get sucked out in Omaha because we all usually have lots of draws. odds are more than one of us is going to connect and only one of us is going win. Like I said before - it's that kind of game.

Pot limit turns into no limit very quickly!

Last edited:
Mazembe

Mazembe

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
NA
Chips
Unfortunately it's that kind of game. With 4 hole cards there are a huge number of strong hands to be had and only the strongest (or perhaps luckiest) will survive. OMHL is even worse.
Facts, if you don't have the nuts, just know that someone else has it for sure

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
screw the smallest stack and pay off the big stacked donk.....ALWAYS....so please do no insult me and say it is me.
its not you... its the game. Poker is a game of variance & that's why its gambling. The more cards in play (Omaha) the higher the variance. The odds to ITM is always against you. Sure you will win your share of flips but loosing 1 or 2 in a bad spot would cripple or bust you & those are the ones that the mind remember the most. You could win a few tournaments but will loose most. Its the nature of the beast. After you have learned the game, its not already about skill else people here would already be millionaires! :) Manage thine bankroll & play for fun :).

MK_

MK_

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
US
Chips
I'm not trying to insult you, I'm also not going to baby you,

absolutely no player always loses, blaming the sites, or the

other players, or the game, isn't going to help you figure out

why you always lose, I'm sure it's easier and probably feels

better than looking at your game so up to you I guess👍

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
been there in your shoes, plo is really really dirty most of times.

oriole

oriole

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
It looks like you're approaching Omaha as if it were Hold'em, which might be why you're losing. Omaha requires a different strategy, so I recommend exploring some resources specifically tailored to Omaha to improve your game.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Because Omaha is not Texas Hold'em. And in Omaha pocket aces do not guarantee you a high probability of winning. In general, “playing better” in poker does not mean “winning every hand”. You have to realize that. ;)

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Why is it when I play Omaha PLO (and I mean I play tournaments several times a day on ACR), I flop strong (Flush, King high Straight, a Set etc.) and yet every frigging time (and I mean every frigging time) I get screwed on the river. Flush gets screwed by a full house, straight by a Flush, and sets get screwed by either of those outcomes.

I always raise massively when those starting hands hit, keep raising when Donks raise me back (mostly with nothing but far outside draws), and yet always lose. What the heck am I doing wrong? Why is it always me that loses? I mean, at this point, my winning percentage must rest at about 2-5% due to how many times I've been screwed over.

BTW, the tournaments always start the same way: some idiot donk raises ridiculously high (6-10x the big blinds), and the pos rng always pays them off. At this point, I am starting to believe that it is no longer about variance, and mostly about consistency. as in "Let's see how many times we can consistently screw over this player".

I could really use some input/assistance on how to adjust my playing, because what I am doing (trying to play smart) clearly isn't working at all.

Oh no!!!! It's like I'm looking at myself in a mirror.:rolleyes:🥶😫

T

tornado_321

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LB
Chips
📱 App:pokerrrr2

JOIN 🇺🇸 TORNADO COUNTRY CLUB 🇺🇸

Daily 30 - 600 Texas hold ‘em 1.50 / 0.75

Daily 20-400 PLO 4 cards 1 /2

3️⃣ 0️⃣0️⃣ pm eastern 🕒 📲 contact us 1+ (646) 854-4425 or

telegram @tornado_321

text to send the Club
Code:
10% chips for the first $ buy in 

Daily benefit from our daily bonuses 🍾  🏦 crypto & Zelle  mainly cash app Venmo available

T

tornado_321

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LB
Chips
you know,

📱 app:pokerrrr2

JOIN 🇺🇸 TORNADO COUNTRY CLUB 🇺🇸

Daily 30 - 600 Texas hold ‘em 1.50 / 0.75

Daily 20-400 PLO 4 cards 1 /2

3️⃣ 0️⃣0️⃣ pm eastern 🕒 📲 contact us 1+ (646) 854-4425 or

telegram @tornado_321

text to send the Clúb [Cǒde]

10% chips for the first $ buy in

Daily benefit from our daily bonuses 🍾 🏦 crypto & Zelle mainly cash app Venmo available

C

Cooking

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PLO has way more luck involved than NLH. If it's PLO5 it's even worse. PLO5 is one of my favorite games, but I know it's crazy and I know that I can easily just lose everything as I can leave with 20x of my initial bankroll. That's why they say you need a bigger bankroll if you want to be a regular PLO cash game player because the losses are difficult to deal with it.

S

sleepers332

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips

I literally treat plo as free role try not to get attached to the bad beats and just try and get my hands in the best situation, but u rarely have a silver lining unless I have the nuts but I do find u can com across a lot lesser players then in Holden that keeps me coming back to it but usually ends in heart ach

S

sleepers332

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
its not you... its the game. Poker is a game of variance & that's why it’s gambling. The more cards in play (Omaha) the higher the variance. The odds to ITM is always against you. Sure you will win your share of flips but loosing 1 or 2 in a bad spot would cripple or bust you & those are the ones that the mind remember the most. You could win a few tournaments but will loose most. It’s the nature of the beast. After you have learned the game, it’s not already about skill else people here would already be millionaires! :) Manage thine bankroll & play for fun :).
Def agree with varinnoce u just need to stay with in your bank role

S

sleepers332

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
PLO has way more luck involved than NLH. If it's PLO5 it's even worse. PLO5 is one of my favorite games, but I know it's crazy and I know that I can easily just lose everything as I can leave with 20x of my initial bankroll. That's why they say you need a bigger bankroll if you want to be a regular PLO cash game player because the losses are difficult to deal with it.
Last cash game I played plo had AA double suited 4 times all in preflop to not win 1 bye the river granted I was buying in short stacked but even if I had a bigger stack I prob wouldn’t have been able to get the other of there hands come the river

S

sleepers332

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Because Omaha is not Texas Hold'em. And in Omaha pocket aces do not guarantee you a high probability of winning. In general, “playing better” in poker does not mean “winning every hand”. You have to realize that. ;)
If u looks at the % if your hands are in preflop even with double suited AA you are rarely better then a 60/40 against most other 4 cards

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips

you can't win poker with your mind alone
because the luck is about 75% even if you play very smart and wait only for QQ+ then you will also lose playing tournaments because the stakes increase and the blinds will simply eat you - the bottom line is that if you don't have enough money for poker and have to start complaining, then why play at all poker

omaha poker is much richer in combinations than holdem

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In omaha, there can be some very strong hands, so even when your hand is very strong, you have to think of the possibilites that are out there that beat you. So tread cautiously with strong hands, only when you have the nuts is when i would go all in.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
In omaha, there can be some very strong hands, so even when your hand is very strong, you have to think of the possibilites that are out there that beat you. So tread cautiously with strong hands, only when you have the nuts is when i would go all in.
and always remember that something can always be better for another person, except when it is best for you-such as a royal flush