If you won a package to a poker event what would you do?

B

BrunoFabri01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is easy, I was going to the tournament with everything, regardless of where it was

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would only play it if it was near my country Peru , for example , in argentina , Uruguay or brazil.Other way, I would´t take risks.

Fosterbio

Fosterbio

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
It seems that this topic should be called not "would you go" but "would you find money for the trip". But it is obvious that everyone would go if the costs are less than the cost of the package.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
It seems that this topic should be called not "would you go" but "would you find money for the trip". But it is obvious that everyone would go if the costs are less than the cost of the package.
Not necessarily. Even if one finds the money for the trip it still might not be worth it. But this can be a question of personal taste.

In this particular case the value of the package and the extra costs are probably 50/50.

hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If it happened that I won a ticket to a major poker tournament, I would really like to go there. A few days in another country playing my favorite game just can't be beat, it was like a vacation or a tourist vacation for me. But unfortunately, I couldn't go abroad even if I won the package, because my country is in a full-scale war against Russia and all borders are closed. So if I won a ticket to the main tournament, I would just sell it.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
i will go for it !!! Is a very rare ocasion for a lot of people so if you really have this chance go for it :) and good luck !!! Cheerss !!!

Fosterbio

Fosterbio

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
If it happened that I won a ticket to a major poker tournament, I would really like to go there. A few days in another country playing my favorite game just can't be beat, it was like a vacation or a tourist vacation for me. But unfortunately, I couldn't go abroad even if I won the package, because my country is in a full-scale war against Russia and all borders are closed. So if I won a ticket to the main tournament, I would just sell it.
:(it's not endless... I believe in Ukraine. Russia can't even play online poker almost anywhere, I think this trend will continue after the war (this is one of the many retributions for their criminal silence)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Let's say you win a package to a live poker event thousands of miles from home. The venue is nice enough, you'll get a paid hotel room for you +1 for a week with breakfast, and you'll get a buy-in to their main event which pays xx,xxx dollars for the first place.

The catch is that you'll need to pay your own flights, your all other meals, and other transportation that you may need in the location. This extra cost could take 1-2k out of your pocket.

If you won such a package, would you use it? Cause I'm not sure I would. It feels like this kind of event is designed to benefit all the other parties in the process and players get the scraps.
Hi :)
Yes, I would be willing to spend this money on moving, I would just consider it a holiday expense, and the chance to take part in a promising event would be a bonus to my holiday. Moreover, the holiday could turn into something more, a good profit :)

R

rufininha14

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I would do my best to participate, it would be a great opportunity and I couldn't miss it

A

Amblo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you have any choice? Either you go and use the package or you lose it...
If I have the money for expenses I will certainly go, why would someone fight over a package they have no intention of using?

juliannorei

juliannorei

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just like me, I think most people who are passionate about poker would use it.
I wouldn't use it and still have a great family vacation.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm not sure either. We need to look at the situation more specifically, to understand whether these costs are worth it and what the overall prospects are. I wouldn't rush to give up, I would definitely think it over well first.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I was in similar situation 5 years ago. I won freeroll ticket, won second and 3th satellites for a live event in Vegas. Package 10800 1+1. The last satellite has 100 places, as I said 10800$ each. Started in 22.00 with 3000 players. Lasted 8h. At the end of the 2nd hour I had pocked JJ and entered all in. Was called only by one with 88. On the turn 8! I`ve asked myself many times if I won the ticket that night what next? The answer was-travel to Vegas!

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I only play in satellite tournaments if I also want to use the package I won. So yes, I'd go for the winning race.
Although most packages usually include spending money.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I won a 10k ticket to main event on Sun poker long time ago did not have funds to get there food and lodging. They made a deal with me 5k cash and 5k in tickets to tourneys on there site. Was a great deal for me.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Actually happened to me. I went on the trip and played in my 1st wsop this way. No regrets to be honest. Would do it again in a second.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Let's say you win a package to a live poker event thousands of miles from home. The venue is nice enough, you'll get a paid hotel room for you +1 for a week with breakfast, and you'll get a buy-in to their main event which pays xx,xxx dollars for the first place.

The catch is that you'll need to pay your own flights, your all other meals, and other transportation that you may need in the location. This extra cost could take 1-2k out of your pocket.

If you won such a package, would you use it? Cause I'm not sure I would. It feels like this kind of event is designed to benefit all the other parties in the process and players get the scraps.
If it were a location like Vegas where there are many other places with tourneys in my price range I'd probably do it. I'm already paying more than the low end of your cost range for airfare and hotel on my yearly trips to Vegas. Add the chance to play in a prestigious tournament and I think that it would be perfect. :)

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

It's a rather difficult choice, but it would probably not be right to refuse either, as this might be exactly the chance I should try to use. Maybe I would involve two or three of my friends, we would chip in for the trip, and we would divide the winnings, if any, among the three of us. Although I am not sure that my friends would agree to this, at least I would have thought about different options before I gave up on the trip.

G

greenlarrow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No, I would not use such a package. I would rather exchange it

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Swede Tooth
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Wow, I'm surprised that many of you are so willing.
Even though I haven't won a package this wasn't a made up scenario. Such an event is taking place in Europe but I'm not linking it here.
My estimation is that the winner takes maybe 60k ???

It's just... to me this feels like a half a** package. If the promotor can't/won't make it all expenses paid then it's not really a prize if all winners do not have equal opportunity to participate. And yet, the promotion starts as one with very low satellite buy-ins.

Packages where 'all expenses are included' definitely come at a cost!
ie. I won a 5,500 Euro package for a WSOP $1,500 usd event, which included airfare & a room for 7 nights. So you're paying for the flight one way or the other. At least with the one you're talking about, it gives you the option.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Swede Tooth
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

If you won such a package, would you use it?

If I couldn't afford the flight I'd consider selling a piece of my tournament. (and perhaps for 1 or 2 more tournaments at the event to make it worthwhile)

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
No, the truth is that I wouldn't be able to go if I had to pay for a plane ticket, meals, etc.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Most definitely Go, My wife could spend her time doing her own thing, Shopping and Spa's While I am playing Poker and of course she gets a free holiday from a game I enjoy, so she has no reason to question my life choices.
I remember once going out with her and we met, quite by accident a few Friends and made a night of it, Drinking and Dancing until the early hours and as the Night Club was closing I had a Little change left in my pocket, but not nearly enough for a taxi home So I shoved it in a Slot machine. As I was playing my Wife shouted across to me Can we afford a Chinese Meal? I answered no, and just as she started to complain that I shouldn't be gambling I hit the Jackpot and I said "Now we Can"
Having a small bankroll for a night out could have done us for a few drinks, a meal and perhaps a Taxi ride home but adding A Night Club and extra drinks into it , It did actually bust me. So having basically pennies left at the end of the night wasn't so bad and we were only a 10 minute walk from home.
My Gambling Addiction if you want to call it that was a saviour at the end of the night, and no I had not touched a machine all the time we were out, this was a last minute deal that actually worked out fine.
I never look a gift horse in the mouth and given a Poker Package I had not had to invest in would be a great adventure, Winner, Winner at the end of the day.

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
live events lol why bothering online mtts are the way to go.