• Start date
P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FYI I am beginner so I don't know all the poker jargon yet :)

Ive been playing a month, I've been watching random videos on YouTube but in general I'm unsatisfied with the drip feed and unorganised nature of the information.

I've bought poker tracker 4, hope it's the best one as I didn't bother researching hah. I know about VPIP and PFR stats.

I've been looking at chances of hitting certain hands and playing top 20% of hands only, playing more tightly than that out of position.

I'm trying to plug obvious leaks like bluffing, limping, playing OOP and overplaying pretty, 'trouble hands'😁

I've lost about $35 dollars, invested $60 ish so far!

I'm basically looking to master my game at the microstates level. I did like an article on this website about pot odds, that was helpful. Using the info I can tell I am making calls and folds i wouldn't have before, based on the raw maths.

Any tips? Do I need to pay for a course?

Last edited:
R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
FYI I am beginner so I don't know all the poker jargon yet :)

Ive been playing a month, I've been watching random videos on YouTube but in general I'm unsatisfied with the drip feed and unorganised nature of the information.

I've bought poker tracker 4, hope it's the best one as I didn't bother researching hah. I know about VPIP and PFR stats.

I've been looking at chances of hitting certain hands and playing top 20% of hands only, playing more tightly than that out of position.

I'm trying to plug obvious leaks like bluffing, limping, playing OOP and overplaying pretty, 'trouble hands'😁

I'm basically looking to master my game at the microstates level. I did like an article on this website about pot odds, that was helpful. Using the info I can tell I am making calls and folds i wouldn't have before, based on the raw maths.

Any tips? Do I need to pay for a course?
To get started, try our free CardsChat course, you don't need to spend money on paid courses :)
........ I'm curious, you've been a member of the community for 15 years and have only been playing poker for a month. Perhaps 15 years ago you decided to try it, but then gave up, or what?
It would be interesting to hear your story, what factors contributed to your return to our community and to poker in general.

P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To get started, try our free CardsChat course, you don't need to spend money on paid courses :)
........ I'm curious, you've been a member of the community for 15 years and have only been playing poker for a month. Perhaps 15 years ago you decided to try it, but then gave up, or what?
It would be interesting to hear your story, what factors contributed to your return to our community and to poker in general.
Thanks for the link!
I used to play with friends at college 18 years ago when Hold Em was all the rage and entered a handful of cash tournaments online and in person .Then I dropped out of college because of a chronic stress illness and I forgot about poker! Didn't think I could make a good poker player anyway because of pain and fatigue issues affecting concentration.

Then I thought recently, why don't I try learning the maths properly and just use that to beat gamblers at a low level of risk? So that's what I'm doing now, but it's harder than I thought it would be 😀

Last edited:
P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also made a search for the term 'poker' in my email to see if I signed up to any forums and this one came up! I also remembered a.good, easy to read article that I read recently from here..

P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My username is terrible haha

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It was a good option for your return, you would not be the right person for advice, but it is important to observe your opponents, be patient, when you lose some chips do not seek revenge or get nervous, think first and analyze where you went wrong or were hasty, good luck and success at the tables

P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay ive learned relative postion and playing aggresively... I wonder if that might backfire at the micros sometimes though!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If its mtts, learn and understand the basic fundamentals of tournaments. Especially position, (effective) stack sizes, pre / post flop action, board texture, spr, adjustments, etc.

I know it’s very vague, but a lot of microstakes mtt players don’t know or understand this. So, if you have a better understanding of how mtts are played, the structure, and the proper adjustments to make as the game progresses, you'll do well.

honestly, the trick to beating microstakes mtts is just playing better and making better decisions than your opponents, and getting a bit lucky.

of course, variance plays a huge part in mtts and it is a long term game. remember, even the best players are only cashing in 15-25% of mtts they play, they just make up for it in deep runs and mtt wins.

you can't control variance, but you can lessen it by playing mtts structured to newer players. for example, large fields will have more variance than smaller ones. turbo mtts will have more variance than regular speed. if youre starting off, look for smaller field, regular speed mtts that have deep starting stacks. once you get used to those, then try other variations. just know that you'll have to adjust your strategy for each.

P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im playing micro cash games .02nl.

I just dip in and out of games because of chronic fatigue and pain, im not sure id last in a tournament, depends how long they are really?

P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im also playing 1 game at a time now, as per the recommendation on the 30 day course. Just need to not get bored and bluff!

P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
one thing that i struggle with is if i have a borderline decent hand like JQos in mid position. I play it aggressively preflop and on the flop when i hit a queen, a King comes on turn and i dont know what to do when theres someone to act after me! Carry on with a bet or just check it, look weak and ditch it when im raised..

Last edited:
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im playing micro cash games .02nl.

I just dip in and out of games because of chronic fatigue and pain, im not sure id last in a tournament, depends how long they are really?
all depends on field size and late registration, but you can expect to play at least a few hours, or longer, if you make it to the very end

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im also playing 1 game at a time now, as per the recommendation on the 30 day course. Just need to not get bored and bluff!
mtts can test your patience, but remember, the goal isn't to play the most hands, its to have all the chips in the end. it doesnt matter how you get there (as long as it's not cheating).

so, guess what? if you have to fold every single hand for the 10 blind levels, that's what you have to do. sometimes, you'll be card dead and that's how the game rolls.

P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
all depends on field size and late registration, but you can expect to play at least a few hours, or longer, if you make it to the very end
how long can you take breaks for? problem with cash games is 2 rounds of blinds and youre booted off and all your reads on players are gone! I feel leashed to computer..

P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would you call with A9 suited on button to a 10 big blind raise thats a big raise and i wouldnt be confident. Player isnt that aggressive, a little on loose side. The chart tells me i should call but i folded anyway. :)

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Best advices i think îs try not to bluff and if you are holding good cards and you are facing a very big bet on the river just call 🤙😄.... Good luck!!!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, the CC 30 day course is an excellent course for beginners. If you play cash games, then just skip the sessions about preflop push/fold poker, ICM and other strictly tournament related subjects.
That is an excellent decision, which show, you are on the right track already. Learn to use the HUD and also use the build in functions like the leak tracker to improve your game.
There are many free charts for preflop these days, and you can have some free simulations with a solver like GTO Wizard. So try to get your preflop game at least somewhat close to GTO. Maybe you can keep most of your 3-bets for value at 2NL, but you should definitely get to a point, where the raise first in ranges are pretty much mussle memory.
$35 is less than 20 buyins at 2NL, so no worries about that. Your first goal should be to become good enough to beat 10NL. And then those $35 is only 3,5 buyins, which is pretty easy to win back. So dont worry about, how much you win or lose at 2NL, since its only a training ground.
one thing that i struggle with is if i have a borderline decent hand like JQos in mid position. I play it aggressively preflop and on the flop when i hit a queen, a King comes on turn and i dont know what to do when theres someone to act after me! Carry on with a bet or just check it, look weak and ditch it when im raised..
This is an example of a hand, where you need to use pot control and try to get to a cheap showdown to not condense your opponents range to much. If you go bet, bet, bet with a hand, that is now second pair, most opponents will only call you down, when you are beat. So you need to check the turn, and then the standard line is to call any kind of normal bet and then make a decision on the river.

Sometimes the river might go check-check, and you are good. Or the turn goes check-check. Sometimes you will hit another Q, which is of course awesome. And sometimes the opponent will bet big on turn and big on river. And then its generally fine to just fold, unless you have some kind of read on the opponent. At least at stakes as low as 2NL, where most people dont find enough bluffs.

There is some argument, that some players at 2NL are so bad, that maybe you can actually go bet, bet, bet and still get called by worse hands like any pair or even ace high. But I dont recommend getting to deep into the weeds of making massive adjustments to exploit the worst players at 2NL. The reason is, it will teach you some strategies, which you then need to unlearn already at 5NL and 10NL.

So I would always err on the side of giving my opponents more credit, than perhaps they deserve. And the main point here is, that just because its uncomfortable to be out of position and face a bet, this is not a good reason to bet ourselfes. You say, you "look weak", if you check. Ok cool. That means, you think, it will induce a lot of bluffs or maybe value bets from worse hands like third pair or second pair worse kicker. So you just call those bets and get value that way.

And if you really think, that a lot of worse hands will bet both turn and river, then call the river bet as well. You will soon find out, if your opponents range is as wide, as you assume. I have already said, what my default line would be. But against certain players it can definitely be fine to call them down, if their range is way to wide preflop, and this continue all the way to the river. Those type of players are usually referred to as maniacs or aggro fish, and the HUD of PT4 can help you to identify them.

P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just looked and after 4,500 hands Poker Tracker says my VPIP is 23 and PFR is 16

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Build a bankroll playing freerolls while you get experience,get comfortable at the tables and find a way of playing poker you enjoy.pot odds is very important to know about to become a winner in the long run.In the short run anyone can be a winner.

P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the course so far, pitched just right for me. Im not bamboozled like some of the youtube tutorials! :/ Sometimes clever people dont always make good teachers..

Freeroll, no buy in but theres still a prize, interesting. I suppose its a taster.

Does anyone find the Pokertracker 4 software chugs along like a tortoise?

I also think i need to mentally talk through the hands as im playing, tell a story. I just reviewed a hand where i thought i made a great fold with a straight vs full house but i think he had nothing in hindsight because he checked the flop!

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just looked and after 4,500 hands Poker Tracker says my VPIP is 23 and PFR is 16
That seems pretty fine for 6-max. Maybe a slightly large gap between VPIP and PFR, but you can work on reducing that later by more light 3-betting. Its definitely possible to beat 2NL with these stats, so maybe time to focus more on postflop play.

Top 10 Games Poker Tips