Is it a mistake to go all in on the flop with top pair?

M

Manf1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I've been doing that and getting killed on the river with donks risking all their chips on a draw and they never miss against me. Is it bad to put all your chips in when you are ahead? It's in my head because it just doesn't matter by the end they win. Tonight in cash game $1/$2 I have about $240 in front of me I get ace jack raise $12 preflop get 2 callers I flop a jack. I bet $40 one of them pushes all in with $92, he never showed he claimed he had a set but I don't know if that's true or not. Even if he did I'm going to come out ahead as long as the other one doesn't hit he has us both covered it was $92 to the low stack then another $143 was the rest of mine he calls with ace 5 of spades there's two spades on the flop. He doesn't even get a flush through there's a 4 on the flop the turn is a 3 and the river is a 2 giving him a straight.

Should I have played it differently? It happened to me last Sunday too in a tournament I have Ace King flop a King go all in someone calls with a flush draw all his chips and he had a good stack and so did I and hits on the river risks all his chips if he doesn't hit that card he's gone but of course he does hit. It's almost like they know they're going to hit against me.

I'm not even scratching the surface it's happening every time I play. It makes me hate poker. I really feel like I'm cursed sometimes. My cards never hold up. But maybe it's just a mistake to try to get them to fold and risk all my chips doing it? I don't know anymore. I'm usually have the best cards on an all in but I usually lose. I know there's randomness but you'd think sometimes my cards would hold up without them hitting a flush or straight which isn't supposed to happen that often.

I realize there's always a possibility that I went all in with top pair but my opponent hit two pairs or a set but that's not really what I'm asking. What I'm asking is should I assume my opponents will suck out and hit on the turn or river when I'm ahead and they're behind? Because it seems like they usually do.
I think in most of the time is a mistake, because your wins is going to reduce and your loose in regarding the ev chip

M

Moneyjoy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I've been doing that and getting killed on the river with donks risking all their chips on a draw and they never miss against me. Is it bad to put all your chips in when you are ahead? It's in my head because it just doesn't matter by the end they win. Tonight in cash game $1/$2 I have about $240 in front of me I get ace jack raise $12 preflop get 2 callers I flop a jack. I bet $40 one of them pushes all in with $92, he never showed he claimed he had a set but I don't know if that's true or not. Even if he did I'm going to come out ahead as long as the other one doesn't hit he has us both covered it was $92 to the low stack then another $143 was the rest of mine he calls with ace 5 of spades there's two spades on the flop. He doesn't even get a flush through there's a 4 on the flop the turn is a 3 and the river is a 2 giving him a straight.

Should I have played it differently? It happened to me last Sunday too in a tournament I have Ace King flop a King go all in someone calls with a flush draw all his chips and he had a good stack and so did I and hits on the river risks all his chips if he doesn't hit that card he's gone but of course he does hit. It's almost like they know they're going to hit against me.

I'm not even scratching the surface it's happening every time I play. It makes me hate poker. I really feel like I'm cursed sometimes. My cards never hold up. But maybe it's just a mistake to try to get them to fold and risk all my chips doing it? I don't know anymore. I'm usually have the best cards on an all in but I usually lose. I know there's randomness but you'd think sometimes my cards would hold up without them hitting a flush or straight which isn't supposed to happen that often.

I realize there's always a possibility that I went all in with top pair but my opponent hit two pairs or a set but that's not really what I'm asking. What I'm asking is should I assume my opponents will suck out and hit on the turn or river when I'm ahead and they're behind? Because it seems like they usually do.
Hi Jayinem,
All-in with a top pair?
How can you say that ´you are ahead’ before the flop when 5 cards are still missing and you have no tells, nothing to analyse except 2 cards (no monsters)? For me, this is not poker, it’s gambling!
I wish you the best😇

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To me the problem with the question is it's too vagu. Is it ever correct to go all in with top pair yes of course it is but there are many times it is not a good thing to do. If you or the player you're against is short stack, say 10 or 15 big lines going all in with top pair isn't the worst thing in the world. But I understand what you're saying where it sometimes you'll see people with 200 big lines in A5 big blind pot going all in on the flop and getting called by a flush draw. Both plays are horrible by both players. 1st if you have top pair you wanna get as much value as you can from it but if you have the flush draw why are you calling with improper odds that are so horrible?

As for me there are times to go all in with those top pairs and even 2nd but there are many times we need to realize where we're beat or it's just a mistake. I get bluffed all the time by stupid plays like this. I may have a flush draw or an open ender or second pair and some player will way over bet the flop. You want that five big blinds that badly it's all yours I'm not calling another 100 with second pair or draw. Will I use these players to my advantage yes I will. If I see you're a player who will overplay a hand and gamble I am more than willing to get a little gamble in there too but it's very player specific.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in a "real" game, that move gains you nothing, if you are initiating the betting. You're just praying for a 'not so great" player to call. maybe its a good idea to wait until other people have put chips in first,

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the situation, but remember that having top pair on the flop doesn't have any bearing on your final outcome.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can use the cash out function if you dont like the variance. All in on the flop against a flush draw you're a little worse than 2/3 I think. So you're gonna lose a good chunk of the time. If you dont wanna lose one out of 3 in that situation, use the cash out function to protect.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never go all in with top pair unless you wanna see some really weird things and lose Seen too many miracle trips, str8s flushes, Even quads.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think if you have a big stack you must play carefully and do not go all in in this situation. And if you have small stack I think we must if raise - not bigger then 1 pot and better check or call smal raise. Good luck

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
You need to play as your inner voice tells you.Poker is a game of imperfect information. When there is insufficient information, you have to make educated guesses.