Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Maybe. Mathematics does not pay attention to your psychological state.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I can imagine that it will make him depressed, because, let's say, this was his goal, which he has now achieved, and because of this, he feels that his life is aimless, because now he has to set a new goal for himself. But I don't consider this to be such a serious thing, it can cause much more frustration if you know that you had the better hand and you didn't win. I can't imagine the same thing after a victory.

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I don’t know whether a depressed player is able to win (most likely yes, if he has not lost the ability to concentrate and act adequately at the table), but winnings and more or less stable play help reduce the degree of depression. At least that's how it works for me. And I suspect that depression is present at times for me too.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone can win a single tournament, if they have just some idea about, how to play the game. If we are unable to play our A-game for whatever reason, then our chance of winning will go down, but it will still be more than zero. Reasons, why we might not be able to deliver our A-game, include:

* Tilt after losing previous games
* Sleep deprivation
* Playing to long sessions (online)
* Excessive multitabling (online)
* Alcohol or drugs
* Strees or depression

So yes. A depressed person can win a poker tournament, just like a tired or drunk person can win a poker tournament. But our chance of winning is higher, if we play, when we are not tired, drunk or depressed.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You can lose an awful ot of money playing poker while depressed. Entering a tournament with more than the bankroll can safely handle might be a good reason to walk away until the head clears.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
In my personal experience having a goal to win poker tournaments has helped me and I am 99% certain you can play and it can help you get out of depression.I have played for many years and everytime I play I learn something new and get better at playing poker.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Playing Poker has nothing to do with the emotional part of the Brain, It is a logical game that can be Won using the Cognitive and problem solving part of the Brain, that deals with Other things like reasoning and mathematics.
Depression is purely Emotional and I suppose for some people it could help them win, as their Emotions are already showing a negative Poker Face that could mislead opponents reading abilities.
I have been a Victim of depression ever since the Covid Pandemic, and even now after things have got back to "normal" I find it hard to be interested in getting back to my Weekly games in my Local Pub, or even playing on-line like I used to,
I do play the occasional 9 player sit and go but only to keep my rewards chest active, and that is On-line, so my depression doesn't show anyway, I have not noticed any difference in my playing abilities and still manage to make the money bubble (top 3) in most of the games I play, even winning the odd game now and again.
So I would have to say Yes! You can still Win at Poker while you are Depressed! The question should be do you really care if you Win or lose?
I know I don't give a Damn, One way or the other,

AdamasDate

AdamasDate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Why would anyone play knowing they dont have they edge or not feeling great just take a break and play when u feel better

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think every one can win the tournament regardless of the player in depression or not. Good luck. Do not fall apart

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Can a person while depressed win a poker tournament ?
If we're talking about a professional player, I think yes, a professional player can win a tournament even when they're depressed. Regardless of their condition, in most cases, a professional will not lose their skills and experience, so I think that even in a state of depression, they will still have a better chance of winning than other ordinary players.

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Depression isn't binary.

There are levels to it.

Many of the statements here only pertain to a certain level of depression. That's why you get statements like the above, 'a professional player can win a tournament even when they're depressed'.

I

itom112

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For spins, it is not necessarily bad. Not caring about losing and being emotionally numb can be advantageous for the push-fold game. In case you are playing long enough to automatically know what to push at specific blind levels.

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In this condition, it is better not to play. A lot of things won't work out and can make the situation worse.