Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I Find many beginners tend to enter Pots far too often, They want to be part of the game even when they shouldn't and soon get to a point where an all-in shove is forced upon them.
I don't agree with Defending Blinds is always a necessity, Once you post a BB or SB there is no reason to throw good chips away, trying to defend what doesn't belong to you, Once the Blinds are in, they are part of the Pot and don't belong to anyone but the Winner of the Pot.
There is little Point in calling a Raise if you have complete Garbage in the Hole, Yes I agree there is no way of knowing what is going to hit the flop, but are you going to convince yourself that by hitting a pair on the flop is going to Win you the pot holding 7/2 off in your hand.
I find Caution more beneficial in winning Pots and waiting for the right opportunities to take down bigger pots, They say Patience is a Virtue, but in Poker it is a necessity.
In a Game with 8 or 9 players, Position in relation to the dealer is Paramount and even with the best starting hand in Poker You really should be raising to reduce your opponents, Just taking down the Blinds with a big enough raise is Good enough to win you the game overall, If done often enough.
Beginners enter way too often, Winners pick their Spots!

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Too many hands, too many bluffs, too many hands with no connection. We can do all of those, but the beginners do it a lot.

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably all beginners in poker play with almost all the cards, so I played.

P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a beginner some mistakes im starting to realise i was making :

Not adjusting range based on position, rigidly sticking to top 20% of hands in every position
Paying people off on the river, putting in good money after bad when i know im beat, because the pot is bigger than the bet
bluffing too much at the micros
Playing when tired and not taking regular small breaks
Being too wrapped up in short term win rate

edit: Oh i didnt read question properly. Some things ive seen people do who seem even less experienced, or just play to have fun are:

making massive overbets or tiny ones
overpaying to chase draws with low outs like a gut shot
calling raises or 3 bets with average or non premium starting hands, out of position
overvaluing small suited connectors or broadways

Last edited:
Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello everyone. I'm not too focused on finding beginners at the table, as I've been playing more in forum tournaments lately, where I need to pay attention to the sharks since there are no beginners. 😁👍 Overall, most of the tips listed in various posts apply to me, so yes: I’m still a beginner!! 🤗👌👏👏👏 And if we’re being serious: there are a lot of valid tips: limping, not respecting position and opening ranges, crazy sizing (when he has high overcards or pairs), and hero calls – which lead to nervous breakdowns. Or trying to bluff – not knowing what board to do it on.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, we all make mistakes as a beginner or novice poker player.

What are some mistakes made that help us spot a beginner?
A game of bingo. Beginners can often play bingo, and such play characterises such players as beginners, although this is not always the case. Also, playing too cautiously, too tightly, can also be an indication that you are facing a beginner.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the biggest mistake a beginner makes is limping in almost every hand, the mania of wanting to see a flop clearly shows that he is a beginner or a player with little experience

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The thoughtless desires of a newbie to win everything are very quickly noticeable in constant attempts to go all-in.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Good topic, I hope we beginners don't get upset for some remarks, they are really constructive.
It's not hard to spot a beginner player: they play a lot of hands , they don't know how to capitalize on them, or they play too little waiting for a monster with which they fail or it is not capitalized. They are stubborn and cannot give up on the obvious (90%).
They are usually seen playing a game of their own and cannot adapt to the situation, often not understanding what is happening in the game being only a donor of chips or dollars.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
For me I spot beginner when I see the type of hands that they showdown with.eg. Playing week hands in early positions.

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Certainly those who play all the hands, those who raise the bet, and then rush to the last card, those who don't think at all about paying a pot.

fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Trying to prove to everyone what a great player you are. What great theoretical knowledge has been acquired, which in reality is much more complicated and contains the most important element "Opponents - i.e. players who play differently". And best regards @Gritz18 because he described mistakes that still happen to me today 🤣.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In fact, there is a lot of different material on the Internet for studying poker, so it is not so easy to recognize a beginner, but still, most often they are given away by the desire to see the flop even for an excessively large fee, and from any position :ROFLMAO:

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
i think one of the most fundamental mistakes a beginner makes is not allowing an opponent to bluff.
when i first started out i was so obsessed with protecting my hand or not getting sucked out on that i never allowed a bluff range to play through my hand

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, we all make mistakes as a beginner or novice poker player.

What are some mistakes made that help us spot a beginner?
Hi :)
Beginners usually play very actively, often play with weak hands. Beginners often make the typical mistake of believing that table position is more important than pocket cards, and therefore beginners often play aggressively from position, but play with junk. Sometimes beginners can behave inappropriately and insult other players, or throw objects or use emoticons too much.

P

pocketacesbeast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's the upper range of junk hands?

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Playing at random, wanting to become a professional in everything, lack of a single strategy, playing against the strong and continuing to play at a bad table. If you see that you can't win, that there are no weak players at the table from whom you can get more, leave. Otherwise, you will lose time and most likely money.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Good topic, I hope we beginners don't get upset for some remarks, they are really constructive.
It's not hard to spot a beginner player: they play a lot of hands , they don't know how to capitalize on them, or they play too little waiting for a monster with which they fail or it is not capitalized. They are stubborn and cannot give up on the obvious (90%).
They are usually seen playing a game of their own and cannot adapt to the situation, often not understanding what is happening in the game being only a donor of chips or dollars.
Beginners shouldn't be upset by the observations by others in my opinion. A lot of the comments should help beginners if they wish to improve. :)

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
overplaying hands at pot limit Omaha like weak flushes