Is poker a real way to live?

L

leonava

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CL
Chips
It has always been sold as a fantasy to live on popker, but we must understand something, a main characteristic for the success of anything we set out to ourselves is discipline and having a clear plan with rules that we respect. Before placing the first chip on the table, we should have all the possibilities in our head, allowing us to have gaming options, exits, and the limit of losses assumed based on capital at risk, are things that have nothing to do directly with poker, when it ceases to be a hobby and becomes a business, which is very easy to make mistakes if we let the ego, bad decisions or simply bad luck take over the decisions, in short, it is always a topic where psychology (Pokerface) and other variables will go hand in hand with this whole process.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
As with most poker situations, the answer is that it depends. And first of all, it depends on what you mean by the word “get rich.”If you mean the opportunity to buy a yacht and live in luxury, then probably not. If you mean achieving financial independence and not having to worry about money, then this option is quite feasible. But it definitely won't be an easy ride for you.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Of course it is, sizeable number of folks do it. Desirable way ummmm, doesn't appeal to me but to each his own. As stated above, if you are considering doing it because it seems easy & glamorous your not paying attention.

Toruk Makto

Toruk Makto

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For some yes, and for others It requires a lot of study and patience! 🙃

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
As the saying goes: Poker is a hard way to make an easy living.

And online today it's more: A hard way to make a difficult living.

Live cash games in Vegas or some other city with a lot of tourists gambling are probably the "easiest" way to being a pro.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I live for poker, the hard part is to make a living from poker, which is to say, it's not impossible

M

Moneyjoy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Now that I am retired, I can afford to play poker, and " it has no chance to play with me¨. I delayed a long time before venturing into this tropical forest where it can get very hot, with no other way out than giving up, making a bad all-in or truly tasting victory, after thousands of hours spent around a table or in books, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel from afar, especially considering the wise decisions made throughout my previous life. Yes, one can live off poker... as hobby, and I have prepared for it for 35 years!
Moneyjoy

R

rufininha14

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I think it varies from person to person, I do believe that you can make a living from poker, you have more time to dedicate yourself and play but believe that you can make a living from poker

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it is possible to make a living from poker, but it will not be an easy task, constantly seeking knowledge will be one of the most important disciplines for a professional or anyone who wants to make a living from poker.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It has always been sold as a fantasy to live on popker, but we must understand something, a main characteristic for the success of anything we set out to ourselves is discipline and having a clear plan with rules that we respect. Before placing the first chip on the table, we should have all the possibilities in our head, allowing us to have gaming options, exits, and the limit of losses assumed based on capital at risk, are things that have nothing to do directly with poker, when it ceases to be a hobby and becomes a business, which is very easy to make mistakes if we let the ego, bad decisions or simply bad luck take over the decisions, in short, it is always a topic where psychology (Pokerface) and other variables will go hand in hand with this whole process.
I like this approach, which involves valuing poker as a business. Every decision has a goal and a price for possible losses. Every tournament sets a goal and a way to achieve that goal. Every hand presents us opportunity. And yes, discipline is like the glue of our whole poker business strategy. :cool:

M

Moneyjoy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Now that I am retired, I can afford to play poker, and " it has no chance to play with me¨. I delayed a long time before venturing into this tropical forest where it can get very hot, with no other way out than giving up, making a bad all-in or truly tasting victory, after thousands of hours spent around a table or in books, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel from afar, especially considering the wise decisions made throughout my previous life. Yes, one can live off poker... as hobby, and I have prepared for it for 35 years!
Moneyjoy
Upon reflection, one only needs to look at those who have succeeded in poker to determine if it’s possible to make a living from it; most seam to me to have stumbled into poker by chance or on a whim. After several months or years of learning and practive, they dominated a lot of poker tables and tournaments;
it was in their nature to study others and be able to outplay them. There are plenty of champions with incredible, curiosity-piquing stories. For all of them, money attracks money. If not, they do quit.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe, I often play for fun, amounts that I don't really care of losing, however os just a matter of mindset!

D

Dougana

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It's really hard to live from poker, you need yo have a big bankroll in order to manage losing, but is not impossible.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think poker is not the easiest money. But if you have a great desire, discipline, patience and love for the game, then anything is possible.

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Poker is a real way to live, to live under stress and anxiety, with occasional happy moments.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Poker is one of life's mysteries
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Yes, this is possible. This requires a lot of serious study and patience, but I think that the best thing is to work and earn my living from something and then play poker, because I believe that becoming a professional in poker or making it a job is not an easy matter.
good luck

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It is, but it's also true that it's very difficult. The issue is whether you can become better than others, as in any game or competitive discipline. What's peculiar about poker is that you're also risking capital, so it often punishes players who make bad decisions, making it even more challenging.

Pityesz1974

Pityesz1974

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
It can also be a way of life if played professionally, but anyway it's just a fun — which you can also win money on by the way — like many others.

fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
It is always possible, but you need to remember that there are so many players who take excessive risks that it is difficult to achieve satisfactory winnings that would allow for a peaceful life. So it's better to manage your time more wisely and treat poker and any winnings as a hobby with a bonus.

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Don't think i could ever live off poker but would be a nice dream

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally for Me, Poker is only an one part from the other important parts of my whole Life...

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your financial situation and your performance in the game.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker looks like the stock market, it is possible to make money, but it is not constant, here in brazil where I live, working class salaries are very low, so any small amount of money I earn from poker exceeds the salary of those who work

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know anyone who lives off poker, but it's probably possible.:)

Organize a Home Poker Game