Playing against amateurs - easy or tough?

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
New players are ones to beware of.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is why all these freerolls and micro stakes are not poker. 90% of players play guessing games. Waiting for a premium hand and going all in rather than playing postflop is the best tactic for me.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Over long periods, playing with amateurs is easy. Only in the short term, because they are unpredictable.

W

whyfold that

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tough cause they dont fold

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
amateur players have many crazy calls and shoves for sure , some play for fun and like giving the other bad beatsn . Not all of them , but yes , there are some crazy fish out there . But if I lost to a amateur , I know most of the times i will get him , the pros and the regs concern me more .....

T

Tiltmode1987

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its definitely tough playing against new players. They call almost anything so you cant really bluff them. Also ive found they usually get so lucky and end up sucking out on you.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thank you guys. Of course it's based on luck. But it's also frustrating, if your opponents only weapon is the luck, if you know what I mean ^^
There are some good posts in response to your question.
Beginners, newbies, amateurs - basically weak players are the ones you want at your poker table. They are your bankroll. You always want to players who are less skilled than you.
Unlike sports, where your skills are much more obvious, luck plays a much bigger role in poker. Even 22 has a 17% chance of beating AA. That is not insignificant.
From hand to hand, luck can mess with your head. Over the long term, skill wins out.
Hang in there.

aissam18

aissam18

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be quite honest, it's easy and hard at the same time. It's easy to get payed if you have it but its hard to bluff them cuz they call light

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
New players are hard to read when they go All-in on the preflop. The solution is as follows. Pay attention to the opponent's stack; throw cards into the pass if there is no additional equity; on the boards where the firewood is closed, you need to fold.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
can be both easy and difficult, depending on the level of the amateur's game

J

JonasUMP

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was told there is only one way to consistently win at poker: playing against worse players than yourself. Pretty sure that applies whether you are an amateur or not...

hunterws

hunterws

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a newb to the game, and my goal is to keep you guessing what I'm up to. I'll go all-in on nothing, and check a pair of aces. I've had ring games all leave due to this ,,,, at the same time lol. It's intentional in my case, and why I love tourneys.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that more depends on the player himself and his luck that day, it doesn't matter to me who is new to poker with me or not.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
i consider myself an amateur so i think is tough :)

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi Friend.

In Microlimits it is very common to run into that type of people, but even at high levels, I have seen people play like this, each one plays according to their economic possibility, even in a $50 buy-in tournament, you can run into someone who An All In pays you with 89s.

S

slothi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well…I think these opponents are not tougher to play….in the hand you describe you get called an all in with nothing….best scenario…..a good player would never pay you like this……the problem (as always) is just the variance 😉
Keep hoping you will meet more of such „I have a feeling“-players….longterm they will pay you out

Subel007

Subel007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Amateurs moves are unpredictable and play against them is tough

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As they saying goes if you cannot beat the bad players you sure as hell cannot beat the good players.

Playing against weaker players is not all that difficult. TAG poker and ensure you are not playing too much out of position. If anybody cannot beat bad players playing like this then they perhaps need to consider if they are just as bad.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against fans to play, it is easy and difficult at the same time. Easy because they are predictable, but difficult because of their large number.

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Amateur's luck can only get you so far. Still enough to let you go bust in a tournament if you stand in luck's way, and what happens afterwards will be of no concern to you anymore.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a result, the amateur will make more mistakes, so there is no point in worrying about his game and your temporary cooler in his direction.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The game has moments along the hands, in certain streets is harder in others is easier.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Poker is one of life's mysteries
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hi

I would call myself an amateur too. But I learned a lot about numbers, when to call, buff, fold, etc. But there are players out there that don't know much about equity, odds,... and just play by feel. I heard a pro player (Can't remember who) once who said, its so hard to play against newer players, because they are so hard to read. So what do you think about this?

Background of the question: In a (for me) big tournament someone called my all in (my two pair) on the flop with just king high and no draws. I busted out of the tournament because he got better two pair on the turn and the river. I know that was bad luck, but it made me think of this question. Are those opponents sometimes tougher, because they don't know how to make decisions?

An amateur player is not an easy player at all, simply because we do not know what is hidden in his hands, it may be somewhat easy only for a professional and expert in reading body language, as for a professional player, his professional level indicates how experienced he is in mastering all the poker strategies and skills

C

Cooking

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it does not make sense be tougher to beat an amateur player than a pro. Of course if you play only one time against your opponent he can have luck and beat you, but in the long run they will make a lot more mistakes than a pro.