M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
A great poker player makes all the plays you dont want them to do and and is always a step ahead. When you think you have the best hand for sure and shove your hole stack to the pot for a win ,the great player has read you like an open book,puts you on the hand you have and shows a better hand and leaves you with nothing but a painfull lesson.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Winning money consistently, lots of it, might be a sign. Not sure how this can be applied to no limit where you can be busted out in one hand.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are several factors that separate a good poker player from a great poker player, the ones I consider the main ones are:
- study of poker.
- game consistency.
- long-term profitability.
- good bankroll management.
- good strategies.

C

Cooking

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The great players knows to be aggressive on the right moments and most important have a very strong mentality. Like others sports I think there are many players that have the same level of talent, but only few knows how to be decisive on the important moments and for me is all because they have a stronger mentality than the others.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think the idiom "The devil is in the details" is perfect to describe the difference between a good and a great poker player!!! Sometimes we don't pay attention to very small insignificant changes in the game, which ultimately lead to significant changes in the results!!! I doubt that I can answer what details in the game distinguish a good player from a great one. If I knew, I probably could become a great player too :D

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think good players are those who have not yet become great, but have the potential to become great. And great players are those who were good before, but at some point in time they got lucky and became great :)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure you can draw that distinction between the two contrast of player categories from playing a few hands. From these forum or league games that becomes more identifiable. Skill level becomes more apparent with them from many aspects of the game.

Playing in a poker league for many years, history with players was a key to developing that skill you mentioned. Knew when to bluff, get maximum value and keep them in the hand. For every player that good to great is undefined by encounters and outcomes. It easy to look at ROI for that definition to have validity, other wise it just perception.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A great poker player is probably one who can fold a very good hand when the pressure is greatest. You see the top players being able to calculate that they are in all likelihood behind in that type of situation. A good player will not make that kind of a call. That alone separates the good from the ‘great’.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe the levels he plays, a great poker player is playing big tournaments, and a good poker player hasn't gotten there yet.
Maybe a great poker player spends a lot of time studying poker, correcting his mistakes, etc., and a good poker player maybe doesn't spend as much time or money studying his game.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have played poker long enough, you will see a wide range of poker styles. And occasionally you can pick out players who play exceptional poker regularly.

In your opinion, what separates a good poker player from a great poker player?
Nothing separates them, they all stay together at the tables.:p

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
First I'll define what I think a good player is. A good poker player in my opinion is one that makes a profit above his bankroll and spends it or makes enough to live off poker. Doesn't matter what stakes he's plays. A good player makes a profit.

I think it's pretty easy to be a good player. It's simply a matter of being decent to good at bankroll management, patience, mental toughness/tilt control and a TAG style of poker.

Being a great player now takes all the above plus. Being good at reading people, knowing where you stand in a hand, being hard to read yourself and having the ability to adapt to any table or table of players and their different playing styles. You also have to know and be good at exploiting all them other players and their different playing styles and you have to be able to figure all that out in the moment on the fly. A great player will also know how the other players see and perceive him as a player.

Cheers!!!