Focus, fatigue, energy VS performance in poker

M

Moneyjoy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
On our site, when one reaches a rather satisfactory level of performance, it is because they have learned a lot and regularly participate in numerous tournaments, which consume a tremendous amount of effort over long hours. Do you have any tips for maintaining better energy and focus?

Flyer35

Flyer35

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Don't play if you're tired. If you have to play when you're tired, for example you're close to the final table after 12 hours in the Sunday Million, do whatever it takes. I don't drink coffee, but in that situation I'd down a pot for sure. Or a cola, or an energy drink.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
20+ year online player who loves and plays mostly longer format MTT's. When a play bigger stake MTT/events like $10-$215 buy-ins....a good night's rest so be well rested and I personally save taking my shower till maybe 30mins before the MTT starts. I find the shower helps me with the rested, refreshed and clean feeling. Other than that, just the normal engery drinks, chocolate and stuff for snacks to keep hungry at bay. Fwiw I'm also not your normal person as I can get by on 4-5 hours asleep a night and still be highly functioning. Most people need their full 8 hours and some could much more lol.

Now if I'm playing micro's and anything under $10 I don't worry about the full night's rest or the shower if there's no time and I'm just getting home from work, shopping or whatever. I'll just grab a coffee or engery drink and jump in.

I'll be interested to hear others tricks and advice. Always open to new ideas and new things to try.

Cheers!!!

DavidWhite

DavidWhite

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
yeah dont play tired. if i have a big tournament, normally knockout as thats all i play, i will have a shot of jack daniels or an energy drink beforehand. i have sleeping tablets which always give me a 8 hour sleep every night.

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If tired don't play, poker needs you to be patience and focused when playing.

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
I don't have many rules in life but don't drive tired, don't make love tired and definitely don't play poker when you're tired.

s0ftdumps

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
20+ year online player who loves and plays mostly longer format MTT's. When a play bigger stake MTT/events like $10-$215 buy-ins....a good night's rest so be well rested and I personally save taking my shower till maybe 30mins before the MTT starts. I find the shower helps me with the rested, refreshed and clean feeling. Other than that, just the normal engery drinks, chocolate and stuff for snacks to keep hungry at bay. Fwiw I'm also not your normal person as I can get by on 4-5 hours asleep a night and still be highly functioning. Most people need their full 8 hours and some could much more lol.

Now if I'm playing micro's and anything under $10 I don't worry about the full night's rest or the shower if there's no time and I'm just getting home from work, shopping or whatever. I'll just grab a coffee or engery drink and jump in.

I'll be interested to hear others tricks and advice. Always open to new ideas and new things to try.

Cheers!!!
  • Hydration: I keep a water bottle nearby to stay hydrated, which helps maintain focus.
  • Exercise: A short workout or stretching session before a game can help get the blood flowing and keep me alert.
  • Healthy Snacks: I try to opt for healthy snacks like nuts, fruits, or yogurt to avoid sugar crashes.
  • Breaks: Taking short breaks during tournaments, even just to stand up and move around, helps maintain concentration.
  • Mindset: I do some quick mindfulness exercises or deep breathing before starting, which helps with staying calm and focused under pressure.

M

Moneyjoy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Don't play if you're tired. If you have to play when you're tired, for example you're close to the final table after 12 hours in the Sunday Million, do whatever it takes. I don't drink coffee, but in that situation I'd down a pot for sure. Or a cola, or an energy drink.
Thank you for your advice.

• Hydration: I keep a water bottle nearby to stay hydrated, which helps maintain focus.
  • Exercise: A short workout or stretching session before a game can help get the blood flowing and keep me alert.
  • Healthy Snacks: I try to opt for healthy snacks like nuts, fruits, or yogurt to avoid sugar crashes.
  • Breaks: Taking short breaks during tournaments, even just to stand up and move around, helps maintain concentration.
  • Mindset: I do some quick mindfulness exercises or deep breathing before starting, which helps with staying calm and focused under pressure.
This will help me. Thanks a lot!!

I don't have many rules in life but don't drive tired, don't make love tired and definitely don't play poker when you're tired.
A nice resume.

That is a nice shot!

Cheers!!!
Concrete, specific, informative, and helpful.
Great thanks

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
On our site, when one reaches a rather satisfactory level of performance, it is because they have learned a lot and regularly participate in numerous tournaments, which consume a tremendous amount of effort over long hours. Do you have any tips for maintaining better energy and focus?
There is no perfect advice. Each player should try to distribute his forces for all the important tournaments for him. The most trivial thing is not to starve and to sleep well. :unsure:

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips

This here is all good stuff. I should likely eat healthier myself. I also forgot to mention I keep water handy as well. I save my exercise for after poker. I like to take my frustration lol out on the heavy bag and speed bag.

Cheers!!!

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Think about times when you were tired, unmotivated, or bored - you deviated from your poker strategy and didn't play very well. This was due to a lack of energy needed to fuel your consciousness.Find your ideal energy. The subtleties of the game pique your interest, and the task at hand inspires you.Find out what exactly makes your emotions too strong.Before you sit down to play again, think about what you will say to yourself to adjust your emotional reaction during the game.

M

Moneyjoy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Think about times when you were tired, unmotivated, or bored - you deviated from your poker strategy and didn't play very well. This was due to a lack of energy needed to fuel your consciousness.Find your ideal energy. The subtleties of the game pique your interest, and the task at hand inspires you.Find out what exactly makes your emotions too strong.Before you sit down to play again, think about what you will say to yourself to adjust your emotional reaction during the game.
It is a high-quality advice you are giving me: insightful, impactful, and profound. Thank you very much.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
US
Chips
I dunno if I agree with your premise.... there are shorter tourneys, sit n gos, or my fave cash games where you can make your own hours, .... I don't think anyone can perform at optimal levels for 10/12 hours in anything so why punish yourself that way,
having said that back in the day I'd play Full Tilt all night long and think nothing of it lol 👍

C

Cooking

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have a healthy lifestyle is a good option. Sleep well before a long session it is important to maintain focus during the game. Also, have snacks and drinks next to you if you are planning to play for many hours.

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that the best way to restore concentration, energy and just relax is to get a good night's sleep lasting at least eight hours.

M

Moneyjoy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I dunno if I agree with your premise.... there are shorter tourneys, sit n gos, or my fave cash games where you can make your own hours, .... I don't think anyone can perform at optimal levels for 10/12 hours in anything so why punish yourself that way,
having said that back in the day I'd play Full Tilt all night long and think nothing of it lol 👍
Yes I play also shorter poker games but I like to play Texas Hold’Em where focus vs fatigue can be problematic.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips

I'd say the majority of players/people can't focus and perform at a high level for 10-14 hours sitting playing poker. But like everything in life there is always a small percentage of people who can do such things(I've been one my whole life). In my experience thou the older you get the harder it becomes to stay up and keep focus and mentally perform well. As for why? Honestly, I love the challenge of it and well it gives me a big advantage over the rest of the field who can't do it when it comes to longer MTT's. Far as I'm concerned the longer the MTT for me the better.

I honestly wish they get rid of the major 2-day online events that most sites have started having and make them a 1 day event that runs till it's over. I don't care if it takes 14-20 hours to complete. Hell, make a separate series called the Iron Man series or something(that runs once a year like SCOOP) with all MTT's over 12 hours long with 1 day between events. I'd be interested to see how many players such a series could/would attract.

Cheers!!!

M

Moneyjoy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I like to read your interesting information and comments. To me, you belong to an another world of smart gamers. I wish you all the best on your journey.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I like to read your interesting information and comments. To me, you belong to an another world of smart gamers. I wish you all the best on your journey.

Glad you enjoy and find them interesting. Yeah, I remember back when a lot of online MTT's were 12-15 min blinds and only a small number of MTT's available were under 10 mins blinds. Only sats were mainly turbos back then. Now it's the complete opposite everything's mostly faster blinds and the number of MTT's with 10+ min blinds are in the minority overall.

Thanks all the best to you as well Moneyjoy on your poker/life journey.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:
R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A walk in the fresh air, an hour before the game, helps me to feel better during the game, I keep my concentration better and play more disciplined and patient. Walking before evening tournaments has become a kind of ritual for me, especially since I have a dog who doesn't let me be lazy and always reminds me that it's time to go for a walk.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
A walk in the fresh air, an hour before the game, helps me to feel better during the game, I keep my concentration better and play more disciplined and patient. Walking before evening tournaments has become a kind of ritual for me, especially since I have a dog who doesn't let me be lazy and always reminds me that it's time to go for a walk.

I like this one as well, it's much like my shower routine. I may work your walk into my routine when I can. Haha that's what best friends are for to get our lazy asses up off our couches and chairs lol.

M

Margo17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Any activity you do when you are tired or poorly fed, will result in a loss of performance, poker is no different!