Best and worst poker advice

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As a beginner poker player, we often look to others who are more proficient, in the game, for advice from time to time.

When you look back to the early days of your poker journey, what was the best and worst poker advice you received?

Mortis

Mortis

Bounty Hunter - Fall League 2024
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I honestly can't think of the worst poker advice I've received.

Best advice I probably got was not to be "results oriented." Learned that right here at CardsChat. Also how to manage a bankroll.

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Don't be afraid to play any tournament regardless of the price! The fear of losing takes away the chances of winning!

These were the tips from two professional colleagues I know in poker(y)❤️

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
As a beginner poker player, we often look to others who are more proficient, in the game, for advice from time to time.

When you look back to the early days of your poker journey, what was the best and worst poker advice you received?
I have a friend who considers himself a semi-professional player, if not a professional one. His professionalism lies in the fact that he makes a deposit every week and loses an average of 20-50 dollars. When I started out, I didn't realize how "professional" my friend was, so I listened to his advices. Some of the worst ones were "always play aggressively with an ace" and "always play aggressively from position, regardless of the strength of your hand". One of the best pieces of advice my other friend, who doesn't consider himself a professional player and yet withdraws money steadily and regularly, gave me was "just don't play with junk".

hardongear

hardongear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Worst advice no idea as just before I started seriously playing online a read just about every book published by 2+2 publishing so there was no worst advice. My first ever was Phil Helmuth's "Play Poker Like the Pros"

The best advice that's easy. It was to focus on these few things: bankroll management, patience, mental/toughness and tilt control. Why was this the best advice because without doing these few things decently to good it doesn't matter how good you are at actually playing poker. You could be the best player in the world with the most talent and yet without bankroll management, patience, mental toughness and tilt control you're just another long term losing player.

Cheers!!!

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Always wash behind your ears and don't buy a white chopping board if you're going to cut red chilli peppers.

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The feeling after loosing two times my bankroll in my early days was the best advice I ever got :)

Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips

The worst advice is “if you get AA in your hand, go all in and don’t worry”😂🤣

P

puzzlefish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Worst; Always defend your blinds. (This is actually a great way to bust out and lose money.)

Best: Think of it as if you're playing for a bunch of rocks/stones rather than money. (A way to overcome being scared money.)

Not sure where I heard the last one, but it was from a poker show where someone was playing for very high stakes

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
From my experience, the best advice was to pay sufficient attention to theory, and, accordingly, the worst advice was “play a lot and it will come by itself”

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Manage your bankroll wisely, study diligently, and stay disciplined. These qualities will sustain you through the inevitable ups and downs of the game.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Best advice: don't assume that a bad outcome in one hand invalidates all of the strategy advice on how to act in that situation. Example - you call off your entire stack with AA in the big blind and lose to KK. This doesn't mean that calling off your stack with AA is a mistake.

Worst advice: the opposite of the above, the bad outcome does invalidate all of the strategy advice and the sample size of 1 determines everything. The old geezer smoked three packs a day for 50 years and never got lung cancer, so that's why he says all of the doctors and health organizations are wrong about smoking causing lung cancer.

People often forget that these situations are probabilistic, which means that there is no guarantee of what a single outcome will be. Instead, results of a huge number of samples of scenarios over the long term will trend toward a probability distribution that gives the likelihood of a specific outcome.

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The worst advice is to listen to the advice of those who play freerolls.:)

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
My best advice was to always study, aside from doing hand analysis to see where the error is

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Best poker advice: Find the Fish. Don't be the Fish. And it's all Relative who is the Fish.

Worst poker advice: Bet or raise for Information to find out where you are in a hand.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Having only played online to date, I have been self-taught since the beginning.
What really was my advisor was the frustrations, which unfortunately are many in our daily lives.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The best advice I've received is to play poker just for the sake of a good and high-quality game. But I just didn't listen to bad advice because I intuitively understood that something was wrong with it :)

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips

As a beginner player, I heard or read (I don’t remember, it was a long time ago) a phrase that I didn’t understand right away, but it seems to me that it is important.
“The worst thing that can happen to you as a new player is if you win a lot of money right now.”