A beginner at $0.02/0.04 limit tables

M

maya

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Zinzan1000, I've been playing No Limit SNG, everytime I go All-In I feel close to a heart attack. I'm still reading the second volume of Harrington's book and my game has been improving little by little. I've tried a couple of MTTs too and last week I got a 6th and a 9th places and I'm pleased with that. Of course I still make lots of mistakes but the difference is that now I know what I've done wrong. I'll keep practicing. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

robwhufc and starfall, thank you for your inputs.

Maya

zinzan1000

zinzan1000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maya said:
Zinzan1000, I've been playing No Limit SNG, everytime I go All-In I feel close to a heart attack. I'm still reading the second volume of Harrington's book and my game has been improving little by little. I've tried a couple of MTTs too and last week I got a 6th and a 9th places and I'm pleased with that. Of course I still make lots of mistakes but the difference is that now I know what I've done wrong. I'll keep practicing. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

robwhufc and starfall, thank you for your inputs.

Maya

Hey Maya, way to go.
Glad to hear you are doing ok.
There is a long road ahead and it is always wise to take one step at a time and not rush into anything that might spoil all your hard work so far.
The poker tables will always be there for you when you want them.

zinzan1000 be lucky

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd disagree with the 70% crapshoot idea... you'll have greater swings at that table, as your superior hand won't hold up that often, but on that same table you'll equally get those same players staying in pots with 2nd or 3rd pair. When you play AK, then you have to be aware that you need to catch an Ace or King on the flop to have a decent chance of winning. However, the large number of players can mean that suited connectors or AX suited have more value because the pot odds are better for seeing the flop to see if you hit a draw. I generally find those very loose tables the most profitable, because when you get a premium hand you can raise all the way being called by people chasing hands that still won't win.

J

JJC2000

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Starting poker, building a bankroll

Hello all
I'm relatively new to poker
and have only been playing for real money for a few weeks.

Reading Maya's notes made me think of how similar my situation is at the moment

I played for play money for a while until I was winning regularly before switching to a money account.

I have been playing the micro limit $0.02/$0.04 tables no limit texas hold'em.

I try to play real good tight-aggressive poker, and have found that my discipline was paying off at times.

2 weeks ago I had a bankroll of around $38 managed to keep it there. Today i went down to about $29! To be honest, I've had a couple of days without any real premium cards, and when I have I've been beaten my some other loser who goes all in on 5,6 and hits the straight!

Same old story lol.

My plan was to stick with my $40 bankroll and try to build it to $100 and maybe $200 before moving up the stakes.

I thought it best to start from the bottom as I want to play good poker and EARN my bankroll before moving up.

After the past few days I'm not sure whether I will build a bankroll from the low stake tables over the long run.

I have read all replies to Maya and found them very usefull. I'm sure that my situation is practically the same but any advice would be most welcome.

thanks

JC

Z

zzzaacckk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reading this thread has been very interesting for me. I come from the other (no limit) side. I put $10 in January and through my ups and downs am now currently sitting on a $50 bankroll. I have played essentially all 0.01/0.02 nl holdem on stars as well as a few sngs and HU sngs. My luck in ring games is deffinitly far higher than in sngs I find, so I stick to ring games. Whenever im all in during sngs I am consistently sucked out. Just keep up the bankroll management and you will be fine eventually as long as you play +ev poker. I have had $15 downswings (just came off one) but if you stick to your game you will build back up. I was wondering at what point I should consider taking a shot at 0.02/0.05. I may take a shot once I hit 60, and play until I go up, or move back down if I hit $50 again.

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing in the micros is almost a skill unto itself. Just remember, that these same people who call you with trash will also pay you off when you hit the nuts. That should more than make up for the variance of getting multiple bet-callers into the same pot.

PolishPoppie

PolishPoppie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Your Not Alone

I also a novis I agree on your on your strategy and try to play the same way. What I run short on is patience. Also if I can make it passed the beggining rounds of all in without having to do the same myself.I play at Doyles Room alot.They have single table sit-go's starting at .09+.02.I,m starting to get a very little nest egg to start moving up.