A million-dollar tournament, and your AA gets cracked by......AA! What would you do?

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Well after crying uncontrollably for an hour in some dark corner, I am guessing they would know I was upset and probably not the best time to approach me. LOL. What are you going to say? After I listened to their way to play, I would probably say yes you are right and see if they wanted to back me for another tourney. No point in arguing with them that's for sure. Most backers know the risks and the rewards.

Gritz18

Gritz18

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What do you say to convince them that you made the right play?

There was no escape, both players played correctly, as for sponsors I would tell them to bet on horse racing.😁🤣🤣

Fosterbio

Fosterbio

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
If I were in this situation, I would explain it like this: Everything was played correctly, just a bad beat... and if the backers don't understand this move, then maybe they shouldn't bet on poker at all. The player is just as upset by the bad beat as the backers. But it’s impossible to play otherwise in such a situation.

x patrice x

x patrice x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I would have just shown them the video. It's not called "Worst Bad Beat Of All Time" for nothing.

I would also ask them what they think the style of play should have been like? Should I have folded the aces preflop? What would they have said then?
With this hand, the goal must be to get the maximum of the stack from your opponent. Any other scenario would reduce the success rate of this goal.

If I don't get all of my chips into the pot before the flop, I give my opponent the opportunity to fold after the flop if he misses it and I win but haven't reached the maximum.

It's entirely possible that he hits the flop, I reach my target and then get more into the pot - but then I have increased my opponent's chances of winning and thereby reduced mine.

It can be clearly said that playing differently would have either generated fewer chips or reduced my chances of winning.

Even with the possibility of a flush, I would have to be an oracle to know clearly which hand my opponent has. Because there is no such thing as always having a “Read” on your opponent.

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I had a similar situation twice. Once I lost, once I won.:)

P

PRRP2010

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would tell my sponsors that I played correctly, and that poker, despite being a game of statistics, also relies on luck.
The statistics do not say that you will lose every hand you play with just a 1% chance, but rather that you will lose the majority of the hands you play. Therefore betting ALL INN preflop with AA is the right play statistically most of the time.
This match was one of the few times in which a giant statistic was defeated, and even rarer to find another identical statistic ahead.

B

brenthendy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
The 2014 WSOP Big One for One Drop was a tournament with a $1,000,000 buy-in where Connor Drinan went all-in pre-flop against Cary Katz, and both players held Pocket Aces. Four hearts hit the board, giving Katz a flush, and Drinan was knocked out of the tournament.

Imagine that you were in Connor Drinan's shoes, with multiple backers who had put up stakes to buy you into the tournament. Some of these backers are furious, saying that you could have played the hand differently and saved your tournament seat. What do you say to convince them that you made the right play?

I think if it were me, I might scream out the most pleasant words before shaking the others hand. I would then not talk about it for the rest of my life.

jproy444

jproy444

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I had the same bad beat a few months ago. It was a 11$ satellite. Tough but someone will win with 2-7 sometimes... That's why I hate gambling with all-in preflop

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I will tell them that the hand was played correctly and that their reaction would be different if hearts had not come out on turn and river.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't think there's anything to say, it's something so rare and so complex that whoever is involved knows it's the purest and most sincere UNLUCKY

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In such a situation, I would not explain anything to anyone. Pocket cards and cards on the table speak for themselves. There is simply nothing to explain here :)

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I play on major poker sites. Of course, there is also the possibility of fraud on them. But I tend to trust the sites I play on, I think they do everything possible to ensure security. Although it’s possible that I’m so calm because I don’t risk a lot of money.

M

MF.Brn

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would show the probability calculation and the vision of a poker software as a justification, but poker is like that, it's not always the best pre-flop hand won, that's the magic of poker, and if he didn't understand that vision, I would call him to play poker and draw his own conclusions.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
I don't really understand why backers would have a problem with situation that he found himself in to bust.
He made the obvious and correct decision, sometimes the cards just don't fall in our favor. All the times I have been involve in a stake whether it be staker or horse I understand the fact that sometimes we get unlucky and that there are risks involved.
Maybe backers were not aware of risks of their investment or more than likely they know but trying to squeeze horse for some return which is very dirty, imo.
If we want to sway backers more maybe get a top name professional to come in and explain it to them. We could also get some sort of third party like a reputable staking site to explain how staking works.

If I was a backer i would be really upset if he folded there.

pep12343

pep12343

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The only thing I would tell them is that if they need an explanation of why their hand was played that way, they should study the game more. The hand is perfectly developed by both players, one is luckier than the other. That's all

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly? Shake my opponents hand... That's poker and the amount of the buy-in would not affect my sportmanship.

I would hate way more being KOed by 72 offsuit runner-runner backdoor flush with the 2.

Nokaut men 1997

Nokaut men 1997

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Sometimes magic is needed and it is not always there. I made the biggest tournament wins exactly when I survived a losing hand with a hand AA. Afterwards, everything goes like clockwork. Ask Drinan. Oops Drinan doesn't know that. I'm so rude.

emgesi

emgesi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Only with a flush would the opponent win, I would fold.

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there is no other option in this case except all-in pre flop. It's really hard to fold aces in this situation. Connor got really unlucky. I would see the reaction of the backers if the folded aces :)

R

Ron112355

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
To quote Doyle Brunson "We are playing poker, not solitaire"
Anybody who thinks this hand is playing out where that fellow isn't going broke just does not understand poker, especially playing against a super-rich guy like Cary Katz who could easily have been holding a smaller pair or even AK.

gloemcesar

gloemcesar

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CL
Chips
It is what it is.... Drinan makes a small raise 2.x Bet then Katz makes a reraise 3.x bet... The next move it's allin from Drinan and insta call for Katz. Theres no other way to play this hand. AA's vs AA's. Both think there opponent had KK's, QQ's, maybe AKs?
backers are furious, saying that he could have played the hand differently and saved his tournament seat? ¡Come on! He got AA's and his opponent makes a 4-bet, thats a dreamspot. The outcome at the end was horrible with that backdoor flush.... But theres nothing to be ashamed of. I had loose with AA's vs AA's too... 🫠It hurts but when you rungood you rungood, when you runbad you runbad.

Viparida

Viparida

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, there´s not much to say he had AA and someone went all-in preflop he had to call, simple as that.If someone question his move they don´t know how to play the game.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am more of a slow player but when two people have aces the money is going in.
you really can't worry about getting your aces cracked no matter the buy-in.
in a million-dollar buy in someone will be the first to go out and most will lose just like in a $1 tourney.
backers do not get a say in how you play, period. joke em if they can't take a fk is my motto ;)

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi
I would advise angry sponsors to just drink water.
..... Obviously, if in such a situation, there are people who need to be convinced that the decision was optimal, then such people should just say "goodbye" :)

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
What do you say to convince them that you made the right play?
I'd just say:
Everyone who is complaining about how I played this sick cooler, just show me your hands record, and how you played the last time that your aces were cracked.