Table Format
MTT
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
Currency
$
So i was at this tournament.

Blinds at 800/1600. I have 35k.
Early position had 40k. Vpip = about 25% ish?
Button has 25k(. Vpip 30% ish but raises 15%, so half of his hands, he raise preflop)
I am in a big blind. Early position limps. Button raises to 7k. Big blind?

I ended up folding. Didnt like playing oop and also, didnt see the implied odds. Early position calls

But flop came out 2 2 6. Both players checked. Turn is J. Ep bets out 5k, button calls. River is 8. Both players checked. Ep shows TJs. Button mucks.

I look back at this and figure out I couldve either isolate 3 bet and kick out ep or flat call and lead donk bet on the flop and take it down. Thoughts on this? Pretty frustrating and missed opportunity.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I am pushing here against most opponents, but folding is significantly better than calling. You dont want to play 77 out of position, when BTN already has nearly 30% of his chips in the middle. The only hands, I might be calling here, would be AA or KK to give the limper a chance to come along, and BTN a chance to bluff off the rest of his stack on the flop.

Everything else is a push or fold, and 77 would be near the bottom of my pushing range. I would not be pushing hands like 22-55 here, because I dont think, there is quite enough fold equity, when BTN has such a large percentage of his stack in the middle already. But 77 is just good enough, that I would be happy to play a "flip" against the majority of BTNs range. Sometimes he might call with hands like 66 or A5s, which you are actually ahead off.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Basically agree with Fundiver.

Couple of things I would add:
1) There's no mention of the stage in the tournament. Close to the bubble I would 100% be letting 77 go here. Any other time, get it in a run it.
2) You mention BTN's VPIP and RFI, but you should also pay attention to whether his non-raising stat is limping the BB (and how often this is from SB as you should be limping a lot from SB), or calling a raise. It's not necessarily saying that half the hands he plays are limps and half are raises. This would skew the range you put him on significantly.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is all villain dependent and luckily we have the stats. Villain is a 30/15 player so that means they have no problems with overcalling often. Here they have an opportunity to overcall and they dont. 15% is a fairly tight opening % so in ranging Button my guess would be something like KQ suited+, A10+, and 99+. Thats just a guess of course but thats what Id be thinking. That range against our 77 is doing well meaning we are doing bad. I think we have next to no fold equity since as mentioned above button has about 1/3rd of their chips in already. Since their stack is smallish to start the hand (<20 BBs) they will jam their mediocre opening hands more often than do this 3 bet for 1/3rd their stack. I think jamming here is ok but I dont think its the best move given this opponent and their %s. I fold here and would be pretty confident in it.

From the results look like we would have been up against an AK or AQ which would be fine to get in a flip against that for 40 BBs, however that would be discounting all the times we run into a bigger pair here. You cant do the things you mentioned in your post either about isolating (which you can but it would just be you jamming with no fold equity) or flatting and then leading. This flop makes you think you can do that but you would still be doing it against villains range of hands which in this case and this villain would contain bigger pairs some chunk of the time.